Woodhall Spa trip

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t forget to set your watch back 20 years if you stay in Lincoln or Skegness!

Our last Skegness trip involved playing Seacroft on a Sunday in October, B&B in the infamous Crown Hotel - everyone should stay there once to get a flavour of the 1950s - next door to Seacroft and play North Shore on the Monday.

We managed to find a curry house that was open on a Sunday evening and asked the hotel reception to book us some taxis. The receptionist looked absolutely shocked at the very idea of trying to get taxis in Skegness on a Sunday evening out of season.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've only been there twice but Woodhall it's self was OK, from memory there were a few pubs and a couple of restaurants. Fine for a few beers after golf.

Visit site
We have a party of 54 gentlemen at Woodhall Spa every Spring. We stay at the Petwood Hotel, home of the Dambusters. Well worth a visit. We stay 2 nights, three rounds of golf, and NEVER a dull moment!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking for advise. 8 of us maybe heading up next summer, but need recommendations for where to stay. We will be up for 2 or 3 nights and although Ibiza is not required, would be nice to be based somewhere with decent boozers and food options. Happy to travel 30 minutes if needed?

Thanks forum ?
The Petwood or Golf are about the best. A gang of 8 will find enough to keep you happy in Woodhall Spa itself without having to drive or get taxis.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
You are in the depths of darkest Lincolnshire....its hardly the riviera I'm afraid.

Woodhall itself has decent hotel options who are used to catering for golfers....its got a couple of pubs or so but not sure its really what you want if you are looking for variety or choice over a couple of nights.

I'm guessing that if you want "options" then perhaps Boston or Lincoln might be your best bets.....the rest of the places are really like some of the one horse towns that you might imagine in a Cowboy movie if it were shot in Lincolnshire.

As an example...several years ago, getting towards closing time in a (the?) pub in Woodhall, a mate and I decided we wanted more "action" so asked one of the barmaids if there were any clubs/late night watering holes in the area....she mentioned a place called Charlies Bar in the nearby village of Coningsby...the other barmaid, on hearing the conversation piped up..."you cant send them to Charlies bar...they'll get stabbed!!". So...we went to Charlies bar. The very first words I heard as we paid our fivers entrance fee were spoken by well...you can only describe his looks, demeanour, general bon-homie in the utmost of derogatory terms...but the words I heard, spoken to one of his equally "the hills have eyes" like mates, were..." if you see anyone looking at my bird, knock the <insert sexual expletive to guarantee instant infraction without warning> out".

Well....my mate and I didn't get stabbed, knocked out or similar....but it was the most unpleasant place, full of testosterone (sometimes in the men). I cant say that we stayed an awfully long time but whilst doing my best to avoid eye contact with any possibly sexually active woman remotely possibly associated (probably by birth) with the young man I encountered on my way in, I somehow managed to purchase a set of Vega Irons on ebay!!!

Sorry...not been much help but your question bought back some actually good memories of time spent with good friends.
Cracking post.

To the thread starter: Me and a mate went to Woodhall Spa a few years ago and it seems like a nice little village, but that is exactly what it is - a little village. We were only there one night but expecting a bit more in terms of things to do in the evening...

So despite the fact that I have never visited Lincoln or Boston, I can only echo those suggestions. If you want anything more than a couple of pubs and a bed for the night, don't stay in Woodhall Spa.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you going for the golf or are you going for a jolly boys outing with loads of booze, strippers, etc? If you want to savour the golf, I would suggest Woodhall Spa with the hotels previously mentioned, would be more than suitable. If the golf is secondary, stay in Lincoln and get to the meat market pubs and clubs :devilish:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Are you going for the golf or are you going for a jolly boys outing with loads of booze, strippers, etc? If you want to savour the golf, I would suggest Woodhall Spa with the hotels previously mentioned, would be more than suitable. If the golf is secondary, stay in Lincoln and get to the meat market pubs and clubs :devilish:

Are the only options either golf or strippers? No middle ground?