Woodhall Spa trip

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking for advise. 8 of us maybe heading up next summer, but need recommendations for where to stay. We will be up for 2 or 3 nights and although Ibiza is not required, would be nice to be based somewhere with decent boozers and food options. Happy to travel 30 minutes if needed?

Thanks forum ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You are in the depths of darkest Lincolnshire....its hardly the riviera I'm afraid.

Woodhall itself has decent hotel options who are used to catering for golfers....its got a couple of pubs or so but not sure its really what you want if you are looking for variety or choice over a couple of nights.

I'm guessing that if you want "options" then perhaps Boston or Lincoln might be your best bets.....the rest of the places are really like some of the one horse towns that you might imagine in a Cowboy movie if it were shot in Lincolnshire.

As an example...several years ago, getting towards closing time in a (the?) pub in Woodhall, a mate and I decided we wanted more "action" so asked one of the barmaids if there were any clubs/late night watering holes in the area....she mentioned a place called Charlies Bar in the nearby village of Coningsby...the other barmaid, on hearing the conversation piped up..."you cant send them to Charlies bar...they'll get stabbed!!". So...we went to Charlies bar. The very first words I heard as we paid our fivers entrance fee were spoken by well...you can only describe his looks, demeanour, general bon-homie in the utmost of derogatory terms...but the words I heard, spoken to one of his equally "the hills have eyes" like mates, were..." if you see anyone looking at my bird, knock the <insert sexual expletive to guarantee instant infraction without warning> out".

Well....my mate and I didn't get stabbed, knocked out or similar....but it was the most unpleasant place, full of testosterone (sometimes in the men). I cant say that we stayed an awfully long time but whilst doing my best to avoid eye contact with any possibly sexually active woman remotely possibly associated (probably by birth) with the young man I encountered on my way in, I somehow managed to purchase a set of Vega Irons on ebay!!!

Sorry...not been much help but your question bought back some actually good memories of time spent with good friends.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looking for advise. 8 of us maybe heading up next summer, but need recommendations for where to stay. We will be up for 2 or 3 nights and although Ibiza is not required, would be nice to be based somewhere with decent boozers and food options. Happy to travel 30 minutes if needed?

Thanks forum ?

1) jealous!

2) boozer!!! Love it!

3) Lincoln is a good night out, many a night spent there and it’s always been pretty lively. Just make sure you hotel is at the bottom of “ big hill “ as most decent pubs are at the bottom and you really don’t want to be wobbling up it at 4am - BELIEVE ME!

4) the glory hole is not someone coming on to you, it’s a real place ?

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Lincoln is 30 mins away and is a decent night out. Don’t think you’ll find any better within 30 mins. I’ve stayed over with friends and Woodhall Spa itself is fine for 1 night but for a group of lads a bit quiet

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are in the depths of darkest Lincolnshire....its hardly the riviera I'm afraid.

Woodhall itself has decent hotel options who are used to catering for golfers....its got a couple of pubs or so but not sure its really what you want if you are looking for variety or choice over a couple of nights.

I'm guessing that if you want "options" then perhaps Boston or Lincoln might be your best bets.....the rest of the places are really like some of the one horse towns that you might imagine in a Cowboy movie if it were shot in Lincolnshire.

As an example...several years ago, getting towards closing time in a (the?) pub in Woodhall, a mate and I decided we wanted more "action" so asked one of the barmaids if there were any clubs/late night watering holes in the area....she mentioned a place called Charlies Bar in the nearby village of Coningsby...the other barmaid, on hearing the conversation piped up..."you cant send them to Charlies bar...they'll get stabbed!!". So...we went to Charlies bar. The very first words I heard as we paid our fivers entrance fee were spoken by well...you can only describe his looks, demeanour, general bon-homie in the utmost of derogatory terms...but the words I heard, spoken to one of his equally "the hills have eyes" like mates, were..." if you see anyone looking at my bird, knock the <insert sexual expletive to guarantee instant infraction without warning> out".

Well....my mate and I didn't get stabbed, knocked out or similar....but it was the most unpleasant place, full of testosterone (sometimes in the men). I cant say that we stayed an awfully long time but whilst doing my best to avoid eye contact with any possibly sexually active woman remotely possibly associated (probably by birth) with the young man I encountered on my way in, I somehow managed to purchase a set of Vega Irons on ebay!!!

Sorry...not been much help but your question bought back some actually good memories of time spent with good friends.

Never heard such an accurate depiction of Charlie's. Bravo.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
As has been said, Lincoln is your best bet. As Baz said, Try and find somewhere nearer town to stay, rather than up the top of Steep Hill (near the Castle and Cathedral) - as it's not fun to walk up after a few sherbets.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can recommend the double tree, lovely 360.* roof top bar overlooking the canal , loads of eating spots around it, has a secure car park on suite and the baths are amazing, oh the gin ain’t bad either.

If you stay at the top of the hill there’s a great Italian, I’ll do some digging. There’s also a great cocktail bar near the main night club.

In fact - sack one off I’ll play tour guide!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can recommend the double tree, lovely 360.* roof top bar overlooking the canal , loads of eating spots around it, has a secure car park on suite and the baths are amazing, oh the gin ain’t bad either.

If you stay at the top of the hill there’s a great Italian, I’ll do some digging. There’s also a great cocktail bar near the main night club.

In fact - sack one off I’ll play tour guide!

I like the idea of an en suite car park ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once spent a stag weekend in Skegness but can't remember too much about it, but I'm told the night life was good ?

Agree what others have said re Lincoln, think you'll find something that will suit you there. ?

D

Deleted member 17920

Thanks forum ?

Lincoln, and try and stay up in the Bailgate area.

Pubs and restaurants are better up that part of town.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Lincoln has plenty of choice. If you want late night and rowdy then base yourself at the bottom of town; if you want the nicer (IMO) pubs but no clubs then stick to the top of town. You can do both but the road linking them is called Steep Hill for a reason.
I live just outside Lincoln so if you want any specific info about places to eat, drink or stay feel free to message me.

Swango1980

Visit site

Thanks forum ?
Lincoln is a good place to stay. Just don't go to Sugacubes

If you stay at the top of the hill you'll be in the cathedral area, numerous nice pubs and places to eat. If you go down the hill, also many places to eat and pubs / clubs, many of which are aimed at a younger generation (unsuprisingly, due to the university). We'll often start uphill, then end up downhill if the night progresses, so the hill (aptly named Steep Hill) is not a barrier, so long as your pub crawl does not require you negotiating it multiple times. That would be poor planning.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I guess it depends on what sort of night life you want. Lincoln is a good night out but just too much of a drive. 30+mins plus parking and getting to and from your hotel. Woodhall is a decent night out for middle aged gents. A few decent watering holes and eateries.

Swango1980

Visit site
Lincoln has plenty of choice. If you want late night and rowdy then base yourself at the bottom of town; if you want the nicer (IMO) pubs but no clubs then stick to the top of town. You can do both but the road linking them is called Steep Hill for a reason.
I live just outside Lincoln so if you want any specific info about places to eat, drink or stay feel free to message me.
And he does a great Pub Quiz