Winter Work on Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Last night was a bit bored and was looking at twitter at golf clubs updates(as well as membership numbers from other sources), been surprised to see how many courses undertake quite a lot of work during the winter.

What work is your club doing and do you think it will improve the course and was it needed?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My home club never rest on their laurels.

All the bunkers are in the process of being revitted. There are new tees that have been built or extended and they are now about to extend the car park.

Maybe it'll be enough work to entice golf course raters to play 18 holes.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Normally we have bunkers moved/reshaped/drainage improved over the winter.

This year we are renovating the bar so not to much happening on the course other than paths being improved and some work to provide steps on the 1st tee.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a right bone of contention as our green staff seem to disappear in the winter, we've upped the spec on a long path and put in a couple of new ones but it was outside contractors who did the work.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Lots of tree thinning and ripping out of bushes and brambles in certain parts of the course to open up these areas to allow breeze/wind to help dry them out in wet seasons.
It's working too.
Our 4 the green gets very little sunlight and is protected from the wind by lots of trees.
Those trees have been thinned/removed, the air flows across the green.
It used to be the first to go onto temps in wet weather, it stands up to the rain much better now.

D

Deleted member 17920

The greenkeepers are doing a monster amount of work this winter.

2nd year into a 3 year plan that Tom Doak is doing for the Hotchkin.

Holes, 5, 6, 12, 14, 16 & 17 have all been completely changed for the better.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Winter work

We have rebuilt one green we lots of extra drainage and were going to rebuild one tee but were let down by the contractors.

Last year we rebuilt the bunkers on 4 holes and rebuilt the tees on two.

There has been absolutely loads of tree work done this year. Removal of quite a few, lifting the canopy and removal of overhanging branches on a lot.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quite a few new competition tees being built with a view to hosting open qualifying in a couple of years.

Program has started to improve bunker drainage, so the 10th was first on the list and this looked 99% complete last week

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of tree thinning and ripping out of bushes and brambles in certain parts of the course to open up these areas to allow breeze/wind to help dry them out in wet seasons.
It's working too.
Our 4 the green gets very little sunlight and is protected from the wind by lots of trees.
Those trees have been thinned/removed, the air flows across the green.
It used to be the first to go onto temps in wet weather, it stands up to the rain much better now.

Same at ours.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get lost.....the lot of you. Lazy bums have chopped some trees down for their wood burners (they all have them) and that's it. Oh and a bit of thinning the lower branches of trees, kindling I suppose.

Winter work?....don't make me laugh.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We've rebuilt a couple of old bunkers and added a couple of new ones. Some tree triming and thinning, a new non-slip tee to green path on our elevated 11th. Extended part of the winter buggy paths, plus some other general maintenance (fairways and tees tined and fertilized etc.)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I spoke to the owner about this last weekend. Apparently they are filling in a number of fairway bunkers that are no longer relevant. Sensible move.

They have also removed bushes that were in front of a par 3. That has improved the flow of the stream that it was behind it, less debris in it, will reduce time spent looking for balls.

I don't know if they will get it done this winter but they also intend building up the tee box on another par 3 so that you will be able to see your ball on the green. At the moment all 4 par3's have greens higher than the tee box so you can never see a hole in one. At least this will rectify one of them.

All very positive although as the weather has been so bad I have yet so see any of the changes in action.

DCB

Visit site
Winter work is probably the most important of the season. Course is quieter, so, the chance to tackle issues that couldn't be tackled during the main season. We always have a programme of works, some of which will be weather dependent, but, there is always something for the greens staff to be getting on with. If all goes well, come that start of the main season in April, the course should be looking good and ready for the season ahead.

I was on our Green Committee for three seasons and it opened my eyes to what goes into keeping the course in good condition.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our place at the moment quite frankly is a pig sty. That is probably being a bit kind as well. a lot of the white tees have been dug up and flattened so the tees are leveller. A couple of greens have been dug up and the back ends lifted with tons and tons of soil etc so the greens are better to play approach shots to.
The biggest job is the pin positions are being moved on the 12th par three so the tee shot will be between the trees directly over the pond. The amount of heavy machinery has turned the course in parts into a peppa pig muddy puddle Xanadu. I ended up on me back end twice yesterday. At times it is not pleasant to play at the moment.

D

Deleted member 23270

Get lost.....the lot of you. Lazy bums have chopped some trees down for their wood burners (they all have them) and that's it. Oh and a bit of thinning the lower branches of trees, kindling I suppose.

Winter work?....don't make me laugh.

I've never read a single positive thing about your club, why don't you move?

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
All those that are having bunker refurbs. How are they building/refurbing the bunkers ? Is the rubber crumb method being used ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
All those that are having bunker refurbs. How are they building/refurbing the bunkers ? Is the rubber crumb method being used ?

As far as I can tell, no, they are leaving a natural base. I think we have a fairly thick clay base.

The interesting thing is that we are a parkland course, and all bunker refurbs and new bunkers are being revetted. Maybe out of place, I don't know, but I actually like the look of them, and steeper face makes them more challenging on our postage stamp greens.

D

Deleted member 15344

We've rebuilt a couple of old bunkers and added a couple of new ones. Some tree triming and thinning, a new non-slip tee to green path on our elevated 11th. Extended part of the winter buggy paths, plus some other general maintenance (fairways and tees tined and fertilized etc.)

Don’t forget the rope drainage on some of the greens - new bunkers are brutal , going to be some tears