Winter wheels

BigEasy71

Visit site
Our club has sent out an email circular saying "It's that time again for changing to winter wheels on electric trolleys".
It's my first winter as a Powakaddy user and was wondering what is the best option.
Buying the winter wheels at £70 a pair or are the sleeve type, hedgehog or gliders just as good for half the price.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the slip on hedgehog sleeve things and found that, although they were OK. When I took the off I had horrible holes in my wheels.Mud also seemed to stick to them. Just got a pair of the winter wheels so will be trying them out on Sunday

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
For several years now I have been trying to get documentary evidence of research proving that hedgehog wheels protect the course. OK, I can understand that in thick mud or waterlogged conditions they will prevent wheel slip - but in those conditions trolleys shouldn't be allowed anyway or course should be shut. Despite a few Forumers saying their greenkeepers/someone on the committee/whoever had seen evidence, as far as I'm aware none has ever been forthcoming.

I'm still of the opinion that Hedgehog did a great selling job and those courses (including mine) that insisted on their use in poor conditions don't want to admit that they were conned.

Imo of course

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My GoKart wheels are treaded as standard and I really don't get wheel slip with them. I think the issue in the past is that some of the motorised trolley wheels were smooth and so spun easily. GoKart actually offered a free wheel upgrade and I still have the original smooth ones in the garage. Our club doesn't stipulate winter wheels for the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I understand hedgehog wheels are a bit marmite among green keepers. They are discouraged at our course.

Same here . Our previous greenkeeper insisted on them. When the new guy came in about three years ago he said they didn't actually make too much difference and did away with needing them. He's said if the course is getting that wet, then chances are trollies would be stopped and we'd go to carry only