Winter Warmers

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gentleman.

With the coldness of winter just around the corner, I'm interested in getting myself some cold weather top, specifically something fleece lined.

Not to fussed about brand so long as it's warm. Ideally light weight, fleece lined and able to layer under it without restriction.

I've seen a Galvin Green Insula Zip neck sweater that I like the look of.

Any experience with these? or any other products you would recommend?

Muchos Kudos in advance :thup:

S

Snelly

Look at Lowe Alpine or Arcteryx. Superb technical clothing that really works. You can get good bargains on eBay too.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got a GG insula top, and it's very good although you'd never think so by looking at it. You can almost see through it but it just works somehow.

I'm not built for insulation and am normally the first one to feel the cold, but last Sunday it was cold enough for there to be a frost on the ground for a fair amount of my round and was plenty warm enough with a base layer, polo shirt and GG top.

The only thing that I don't like is the collar. I don't zip it all the way up because I don't like anything touching my throat, and I can't make it sit/fold down properly if it's unzipped.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've got a GG insula top, and it's very good although you'd never think so by looking at it. You can almost see through it but it just works somehow.

I'm not built for insulation and am normally the first one to feel the cold, but last Sunday it was cold enough for there to be a frost on the ground for a fair amount of my round and was plenty warm enough with a base layer, polo shirt and GG top.

The only thing that I don't like is the collar. I don't zip it all the way up because I don't like anything touching my throat, and I can't make it sit/fold down properly if it's unzipped.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

How do you (R3 and Snelly) find the sizes come up on those products? Small fitting, baggy?

Johnse

Visit site
I've looked into this recently, in the end after a lot of trying stuff on, I opted for a Reggatta soft shell , wind/water proof fleece lined light weight and got 2 for £30 ,

Noob giving his 2pc

S

Snelly

Think I am a large in all the brands I mentioned plus GG. GG come up a bit small I found.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not sure if it is exactly what you're after, but I've been using a super lightweight down gillet this autumn. Hardly know it's there, but really warm. Doesn't get in the way of the swing at all. I got it from here :

http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/073011

good value imo and I'm really pleased with it.

Dorian

Club Champion
Visit site
If you can get to a CostCo they're always selling Craghoppers' microfleeces for £15-£20. I live in mine - not too thick or thin; just right. You'll probably find them for a similar price online somewhere.