burrrr the cold weather is here!! Base Layers?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Afternoon All,
As I mentioned I on another thread I am considering buying the Galvin Green base layer suit, the reason is I play early mornings on a weekend and even if its sunny its still wet and so I tend to play all winter at least wearing my waterproof trousers. So the idea is to wear the base layer trousers under my waterproofs rather than wear trousers under them to keep extra warm and feel less restricted.

So my questions to you fine people are..

1) Do you wear base layers?
2) Have you worn them under waterproofs?
3) Do you have any recommendations in regards to which is best (as I have seen some UA ones that state "Cold" for extra warmth which I think I am going to need)?

Thank you in advance.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get one mate, have a few Rugby ones I always wear in this weather and love them. Looks great under a smart polo.

They aint too badly priced either compared to some Galvin Green stuff.

And get the cold one.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a North Face long sleeved top that I use foir both skiing and Golf , and they are brilliant. Leave you unrestricted but warm, so I would imagine any longs would do too under trousers etc, altho my legs rarely feel the cold.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have an Addidas long sleeve and an under armour short sleeve. Both are very good.

Less trendy, but equally as warm, and cheaper are old fashioned thermal underwear from M&S. Doesn't look as good, but does the job.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Considering the single figure temperatures I was able to go out in near enough my usual get-up, I simply decided to wear a t-shirt under my golf polo & that was more than enough & took a jumper with me. Well I started off wearing it & soon decided after the first swing that the jumper was one layer too many so was already down to shirt sleeves. My leges felt fine even when it absolutely tipped it down & discovered I didn't have any waterproof overtrousers in the bag, was no loss as I soon warmed up even though the rain was comming down sideways.

But getting onto topic I've got thermal undergarments & find that they get cought up round the hairs on my arms & legs & find them very uncomfotably iritating to wear.Oh yea I can move alright, but every movement rips at hairs, so unless I'm going to plaster the missuses immac all over before the winter season I think I'll give thermal undergarments the elbow.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very very rarely wear base layers, I was taught to start with 1 layer and add to it if need be, but only if you are desperatly cold. Playing golf, I am rarely cold, I play short sleeve order all year round if its dry, regardless of temp.

I have just bought a great callaway wet suit for a bargain £99 reduced from £160.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
With regards to the question of wearing thermal / base layer trousers under your waterproof trousers. In the yacht racing world this happens all the time as regular trousers under waterproofs restrict movement, get damp, add weight, and aren't efficient at transferring moisture (sweat) away from the body. Therefore make you feel damp and cold etc.

The down side is remembering that when you get to the bar, that when you remove your waterproof trousers you'll probably look like Max what's his name.

If you know that the temp is going to stay low, or stay wet, or windy, you should do it. If not you could end up over heating, even in winter sunshine.

ps I use the same base layers for golf, skiing and sailing.

I also don't have the figure for the latest figure hugging 'body mapping' base layers.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I took delivery of the full suit yesterday lunch time and having used under armour, nike pro and adidas power web base layers for other sports my immediate impression is that this is a high quality product. I haven't worn it for playing golf yet but I tried it on (I had to laugh when looking in the mirror- I have worn the tops before but never leggings lol) and the sizings seem pretty standard. I can see me being very happy with them although whilst £34.99 a piece does seem cheap for Galvin Green it is certainly a premium range base layer, with quite a few cheaper alternatives. It is a fair price for what you get though. I reckon you should take the plunge.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use a set of cheppo thermals from one of the really cheap shops to try them out - I now normally wear long johns under the packlight goretex trousers. I do however find that they are great in very cold but as soon as I get mooving I get very warm and have to oopen the air vents in the trousers.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear a short sleeved Lotto "skin" when its chilly as I suffer from time to time with what can only be described as "frozen shoulder". After yesterday when the rain was horizontal I went out today and bought a canterbury long sleeve "skin". £12 from TK Maxx normally retail at £30+.
Will probably be getting some legging to wear under the waterproof trousers as my legs normally sweat without.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember when I got my first base layer, It felt a little wierd. However now I feel naked without and I make a point of wearing it whenever, plus it makes me feel good. :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use an under armour base layer on top. It is long sleeved and does a fantastic job. In really cold weather I'll use that, an nike polo treated to wick moisture away and a club jumper (wool) although I often get away with a golf shirt instead of the polo (usually have the jumper if I am teeing off first thing!).

I don't tend to use any kind of base layer on my legs as I usually have waterproof trousers on in winter and they do a fine job. I also make sure the Callaway thermal wool hat is in the bag from November onwards (and an old cap for playing in the rain) to keep the heat in