Winter Rules - use of worm casts

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Most courses have winter rules in operation at the moment and when playing with a group in a bounce match yesterday one of the players marked his ball, cleaned it and then stuck it on the top of a worm cast within 6 inches of his marker.

Not surprisingly he hit a very good 3 wood off his "tee" and we gave him some fearful stick about his action.

But was it illegal?

:confused:

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Most courses have winter rules in operation at the moment and when playing with a group in a bounce match yesterday one of the players marked his ball, cleaned it and then stuck it on the top of a worm cast within 6 inches of his marker.

Not surprisingly he hit a very good 3 wood off his "tee" and we gave him some fearful stick about his action.

But was it illegal?

Not sure if it's illegal, but it's a cracking idea :thup:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perfectly legal. The objective of Pick and Place is to find the best lie possible within the allowed distance.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Perfectly legal. The objective of Pick and Place is to find the best lie possible within the allowed distance.

Genuine question here. I've always wondered if there was a recognized distance, or is it a gentlemanly thing of say, 6 inches or thereabouts?

G

guest100718

Genuine question here. I've always wondered if there was a recognized distance, or is it a gentlemanly thing of say, 6 inches or thereabouts?
no, the PGA tour use a club length, i think ours is a score card length.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember Spieth hitting driver off the deck a few times last year with pick and place in effect. The fairways were so soft he put the ball on the raised lip of his own pitch mark.

Not certain, but I'd guess that you can't press the ball down to stop it falling off the worm cast, and if it topples off and the worm cast is then in your way it's tough luck.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

The approved Local Rule tells you to specify the distance - 6 inches, clublength, whatever.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

CONGU states that the distance must be within 6" in order for a competition to be a handicap qualifier.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

But was it illegal?

A player may place it on an abandoned tee that happens to be stuck nicely in the ground already. Or he may utilize any object that is already in place before he lifts his ball. But he may not place an object for this purpose.