Winter golf

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
1, ignore the weather man. Many a good days golf has been missed because said Hurricane never materialised.

2, Buy good * winter wear, base layer, FJ boots, trousers and coat, plus hat and Brolly. If possible a waterproof bag.
* Note good does not mean expensive.

3, Be prepared to change your game.

Embrace the different challenge.

Last edited:

AliMc

Visit site
Those things appear at my club, I'm moving:)
We use them at Dunbar generally Dec - Feb, course benefits massively in the summer due to their use, course has been fantastic this year again, seems a very small price to pay imho and I don't mind them in the slightest, we get a full 12 months golf with the course in great condition, appreciate they are not to everyone's liking though

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We use them at Dunbar generally Dec - Feb, course benefits massively in the summer due to their use, course has been fantastic this year again, seems a very small price to pay imho and I don't mind them in the slightest, we get a full 12 months golf with the course in great condition, appreciate they are not to everyone's liking though

I'm a long way south, less requirement

peld

Visit site
the (normal) Winter League is the best competition at my place - 4BBB match play with random partners.
Last winter was quite rubbish, just normal stablefords which put a lot of people off

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Got to admit our club don't use them but I was thinking of getting them for when i'm doing 9 holes by myself. Surely just having a decent lie rather than a soft/muddy lie works well and as you say helps the course. Probably only do it after a wet period or Dec-Mar when the course can't repair itself.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Part of my reason to going back to a links golf membership is because I got fed up of the wet muddy parkland golf off winter mats during the winter months!
winter golf doesn’t effect me now just wrap up warm because it gets cold with the wind but superb playing surface all year around can have torrential rain one day go up there the next and it’s bone dry

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must say I played Dunbar yesterday and the course is in terrific condition. The greens are always first class, so much so I really struggled with putting on Rosemount today. I just couldn't bring myself to hitting the ball firmly enough to get it to the hole.

AliMc

Visit site
I must say I played Dunbar yesterday and the course is in terrific condition. The greens are always first class, so much so I really struggled with putting on Rosemount today. I just couldn't bring myself to hitting the ball firmly enough to get it to the hole.
Glad you enjoyed it Clive it has been great all year, I've played 8 or 9 other courses recently and honestly, although they have been in decent condition, none have come close to Dunbar, we really are very lucky to have an exceptional course manager

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I don't bother playing much after Christmas until mid March.
Too cold / wet & my course uses temps if it's frosty which I have absolutely no interest in playing whatsoever.