Winter golf....absolutely pointless...tell me otherwise.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
First time on winter greens for us today, utter waste of time IMO, better sitting in the house, what's your argument to the contrary :mmm:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First time on winter greens for us today, utter waste of time IMO, better sitting in the house, what's your argument to the contrary :mmm:

You get to play golf
You get a good idea of your carry distance rather than total distance, albeit slightly shorter because of the colder air
You get to practice

Having said that, I absolutely hate winter greens and wouldn't join a club that either went to them by default or regularly had more than a few in play.

DCB

Visit site
I've never taken winter golf too seriously. On a parkland course it can be a bit of a lottery depending on the weeks weather conditions. It is however a good excuse to get out for some fresh air and to meet up with friends at the golf club.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We played 11 holes, of which only 5 were on full, it was rubbish, miles forward tees, and horrible winter greens, loose wimin every time for me from now on, unless it gets milder and we're back on full.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We only go on winter greens for frost. I will get out and play as long as it's not raining as it was today. Its hard to make a score but with my swing changes it's important to be playing regularly. As soon as we hit winter greens I'll be off to a range or working on pitching or on the practice ground

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
At a my first course it was brilliant. Shorter course, dry but played well. Friendly competition.

Investing in som winter playing gloves and the right clothes made it fun.

My lad course it was pointless, swampy mucky and winter greens like bumpy fairway. Totally pointless.

IMO it’s the type of course that makes winter gold, not the person. (Bar any physical reason or other commitments)

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No winter greens on my course in Bristol.

Managed to score 32 points today despite losing 7 balls (4 because of bloody leaves!)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Getting out in the fresh air, and out of the house. Playing with mates, plenty of chat, not taking golf too seriously, food and drink afterwards. Yes totally pointless.:whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Getting out in the fresh air, and out of the house. Playing with mates, plenty of chat, not taking golf too seriously, food and drink afterwards. Yes totally pointless.:whistle:

Can't argue with any of that. However once we get to the frozen greens trying to hit a tiny patch of frozen fairway masking as a green and I do find it more enjoyable to work on my game. At the moment (unless pouring like this morning) I agree with everything you said.