Windows 11

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Have they gone too far with the hardware requirements ?
And will you be upgrading (if you can)?
Or is it just a ploy to get you to buy a new higher spec'd machine?
windows_11_hardware_requirements_cant_be_bypassed.jpg

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It just means that new machines will have 11 instead of 10

Not sure if they will roll out 11 as a free update, like they did with 10,

Haven’t checked the hardware specs, but I suspect that most machines under 5 years would be able to run it, older ones………

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Apparently it is a free upgrade but you need a Trusted Platform Module 2.0 chip.
Of course I have no idea what that is but you'll need one anyway.
I think I'll stick with Windows 10

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently it is a free upgrade but you need a Trusted Platform Module 2.0 chip.
Of course I have no idea what that is but you'll need one anyway.
I think I'll stick with Windows 10

Most laptops or "factory production" desktop machines produced post 2016 will have TPM 2.0 capability. It's just a boot security module (bit like when UEFI BIOS was introduced, some OS liked it, some didn't).
Self build desktops will depend on the motherboard/chip combo largely. I have a 2019 AMD Ryzen 5600X and MSI X570 motherboard combo and whilst TPM 2.0 isn't enabled as standard, the option is there to enable in BIOS. There will be a lot of machines that it will require enabling but the functionality will be there.

Machines pre-2016 (which, lets face it in tech terms are old) are probably best not to run a modern OS that will more than likely be more memory, storage and CPU demanding (as seems to be the trend) and would probably be best retaining Win 8 or 10 whilst support remains.

Like many things tech, the media grab half-stories and amplify them to make people think the technical Armageddon is upon us.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently, my old Surface Pro 3 from 2014 has the TPM chip. It has an i7 chip and 8Gb RAM, so I guess I'll keep this going for a few more years then.

Only note there is that TPM has been around in one shape or form for a while but the "standards" are different. It may be that 2014 was TPM 1.2 and the new Windows OS requires the TPM 2.0 standard. Although both are TPM, the standards are not backwards compatible.

Miller

Visit site
Only note there is that TPM has been around in one shape or form for a while but the "standards" are different. It may be that 2014 was TPM 1.2 and the new Windows OS requires the TPM 2.0 standard. Although both are TPM, the standards are not backwards compatible.

tpm.msc reports TPM 2.0 on this machine, so I should be ok. I guess one of the perks of having a Microsoft system. But yes, there might well be systems out there with older revision chips.

Miller

Visit site
At least they didn't build in obsolescence, this time. I've been tempted in the past to buy an iPad to replace my Surface, but haven't really had a compelling reason to do so yet.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
At least they didn't build in obsolescence, this time. I've been tempted in the past to buy an iPad to replace my Surface, but haven't really had a compelling reason to do so yet.

No, but then planned obsolescence hasn't really been a problem in "proper" computing for some time (I say "proper" to eliminate mobile phones and tablets :D).

With the massive RAM speed jumps from DDR2 to DDR3 and then to DDR4 (and the next jump to DDR5) and the increased core counts/thread counts coupled with better architecture overall, it's made machines live longer. I've found that it's usually thermal problems that kill laptops more often than actual obsolescence these days.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My neighbour had an ipad 10.3.3 which he used every day but as it was so old, certain programmes wouldn't run on it.
His friend, an Apple lover, suggested a new shiny iPad which would be brilliant.
I suggested he get an Android tablet as everything else he has is Windows.
He agreed and is now delighted with his new bright screen,
13mp camera v 1.2mp ipad
420g v 660g ipad
Fast
And of course it runs everything
£229
The only downside is, his wife wants one too.
So, 2x iPad 4th gen going on Facebook Marketplace this weekend
:)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If I can't free update, or my machine won't run it, I'll continue with 10.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Indeed. That's why my old Thinkpad 420 is still on Win 7.
The only reason I haven't switched to Linux years ago is because I have quite a few useful apps that only run on Windows.