Winchester Golf

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Later on this year(all being well) a couple of us are going to visit a mate who lives in Winchester - and plan is to get in two or three rounds while we're there. Couses suggested as possibilities are Hockley, Royal Winchester, Alresford and Corhampton.

Anyone got and comments on them - or indeed any other suggestions (say within about half hour of Winchester)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Stoneham is the one missing from the list. (short hop from Winchester down M3) I haven't played Royal Winchester for a long time, it a good course, I'd probably prefer Stoneham. (I've not played the other two)

Depends on budget and requirements, some others to consider are South Winchester and Hamptworth are in the area. Blackmoor is 40 mins away approx!

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I can let you know how Royal Winchester is when I get back out there. Re done a few tee boxs during lockdown and re done the tops of our bunkers on the 1st and 18th. Trying to find a way to keep the grass on top alive as we have bunkers made up off astroturf instead of turf.

Stoneham is lovely but not played there since they took out a lot off trees.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Bit further out, but I would add Hayling Island to any trip. Only links course for miles in that area. Stoneham is defintely worth playing.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stoneham is the one missing from the list. (short hop from Winchester down M3) I haven't played Royal Winchester for a long time, it a good course, I'd probably prefer Stoneham. (I've not played the other two)

Depends on budget and requirements, some others to consider are South Winchester and Hamptworth are in the area. Blackmoor is 40 mins away approx!
Ta. Stoneham looks like a good call. I'll throw it into the suggestions pot.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can let you know how Royal Winchester is when I get back out there. Re done a few tee boxs during lockdown and re done the tops of our bunkers on the 1st and 18th. Trying to find a way to keep the grass on top alive as we have bunkers made up off astroturf instead of turf.

Stoneham is lovely but not played there since they took out a lot off trees.
Any report-backs appreciated in due course

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Ta. Stoneham looks like a good call. I'll throw it into the suggestions pot.

I was a member at Stoneham a few years ago as they started their current ongoing project (which is just about to end). The place looks very different now to how it day say 5 years ago. I still use the pro there and have a playing lesson in a couple of weeks to, so will see the changes first hand.

Have a look on the website and the "on course blog" and you will see quite a lot has happened.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've been a member at both Hockley and Hayling in the past. Hockley is worth playing, 4 holes up the valley then a big loop round the top before a long drop back down the 18th. Greens have been very good last couple of years. Can get windy up the top! Alresford is not too bad, the Royal is very similar to Hockley, both downland courses that drain very well. I wouldn't bother with Hamptworth personally, the other options are better. As a leftfield option, if you fancy a 'cheap and cheerful' round then have a look at Dibden just across the water from Southampton city centre. Not played it for a few years but always used to have excellent greens. Back 9 is very short but tight, it's no pushover. Other options are New Forest, Bramshaw and if you don't mind a slightly longer drive, Brokenhurst Manor.

Hayling would be my choice out of the courses that have been mentioned though.