Wimbledon - Beware... spoilers possible.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watching Bublik v Tiafoe now. Should be an entertaining match. Two games in and Bublik has already pulled off a between-the-legs shot and two second serve aces!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone else been watching Kyrgios v Tsitsipas? Absolutely incredible match. Kyrgios' mind games really got in Tsitsipas' head and he's lost it a bit as well at times. Proper fierce contest.

D

Deleted member 15344

Both were very lucky to not be defaulted

Shame as the tennis was breathtaking

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Would there have been a second situation if the umpire had dealt with the first? Kyrgios should have been defaulted before the incident with Tsitsipitas by all accounts.
Not sure about 'defaulted', but almost certainly given 'Code violation - warning' for whatever prompted the line-judge to approach the Umpire (twice). Gerry Armstrong (Tournament Referee) should likely have been courtside - within hearing range of her conversation with Umpire - from the beginning, though his arrival likely had dampening effect for a while.

Kyrgios is, at times, a truly great player. But he's 'not right in he head' and his non-playing antics shouldn't be allowed to give him an advantage!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
IMO, the tennis people are reaping what they've sown. They have been much too lenient ,as far back as I can recall, and so, when one gets away with something, the next ones go a bit further, and so on.
One warning, then disqualified! Done. Don't think so, player?, read tomorrow's papers!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would there have been a second situation if the umpire had dealt with the first? Kyrgios should have been defaulted before the incident with Tsitsipitas by all accounts.
I heard Kyrgios say to the Umpire, and I'm sure you did too, "Have you ever played the game, no, so how can you tell me what to do".
Typical of someone who can't be told!
An absolute disgrace to the game!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I heard Kyrgios say to the Umpire, and I'm sure you did too, "Have you ever played the game, no, so how can you tell me what to do".

I heard that too and totally agree with you

I once had a young player ( probably early 20s) try and put me off in a league match doubles. Just as I was ready to serve he'd turn his back and fiddle with his strings, at the next turn round I pointed out that tennis is a difficult enough game but virtually impossible to play with the thick end of a racquet stuffed up ones arse!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I heard that too and totally agree with you

I once had a young player ( probably early 20s) try and put me off in a league match doubles. Just as I was ready to serve he'd turn his back and fiddle with his strings, at the next turn round I pointed out that tennis is a difficult enough game but virtually impossible to play with the thick end of a racquet stuffed up ones arse!

You had an unusual service technique then Chris... :oops:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
IMO, the tennis people are reaping what they've sown. They have been much too lenient ,as far back as I can recall, and so, when one gets away with something, the next ones go a bit further, and so on.
One warning, then disqualified! Done. Don't think so, player?, read tomorrow's papers!
That's not how the system generally works. There's generally an escalation from warning; point; game for 'standard' violations. But a player can be be immediately defaulted
Here's a link that reflects, as far as i know, the standard one worldwide. https://mstennis.com/content/point-penalty-system#:~
I doubt there'll be as much gamesmanship in Kyrgios's next match. Nakashima is pretty unflappable and on the way up. But with Kyrgios, you never know!

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

They were talking after the match that prior to the incident with the ball going into the crowd, Kyrgios had used language towards either the chair or the opponent that under the discipline code warranted a default but nothing was done.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Kyrgios is very clever. Partly just head demons and not being able to let anything go mentally, but he's also managed to get in Tsitsipas' head, but still make him look like the a-hole when he took the bait and started acting out by smacking balls into the crowd and at Nick during points. It's not traditional but the mind games are clearly a bit part of game. He'll be dangerous now but I think he's due to meet Nadal who you'd expect to rise above any attempts at mind games and probably beat him, unless his fitness isn't up to it.

Like him or hate him, he is box office now.