Wilson DX2 optix

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
I have been advised to use these due to my swing speed, had been using Srixon soft feel. Have bought a box they do seem to be going well or is it just my imagination, The Wilson are cheaper are they just appealing to my pocket. Quite like the various colours. Any thoughts please.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I used them for a while, until I read something that basically suggested using balls that soft was pretty pointless for me. But they are great balls for the price.

Don't get the yellow (invisible in the rough) or the pink (invisible in the air/in the distance). Orange seemed to be the best colour for me. I never got round to trying green, blue or red.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I really like them, feel great off the putter, nice and smooth. Good control, seem to stop as well as anything 2 piece.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried them but couldn't get along with them, they felt really odd off the club face, so soft that I thought I was mis-hitting it although they went pretty well, I just couldn't get comfortable using them so went back to a higher compression ball.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah I used them for a while, until I read something that basically suggested using balls that soft was pretty pointless for me. But they are great balls for the price.

Don't get the yellow (invisible in the rough) or the pink (invisible in the air/in the distance). Orange seemed to be the best colour for me. I never got round to trying green, blue or red.
why was that?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It was that My Golf Spy thing, they basically said extremely soft balls are only beneficial if you have an extremely slow swing, or words to that effect. I moved to Velocitys for more distance anyway, and I've been playing well with them.
interesting, i've been using really solf balls over winter and they have been great, where i live with the drop in temp and air pressure i find in winter a Prov1 can lose sometimes 20 yards even off a wedge, with the sog ball last year i lost no distance in fact the ball was going a bit further due to lack of spin on the ball.

i wouldn't say i had a slow SS, but not quick 98 with the driver and early 80 with 7 iron.

in saying that i like the soft feel on the club i hate hard rock off the club

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
interesting, i've been using really solf balls over winter and they have been great, where i live with the drop in temp and air pressure i find in winter a Prov1 can lose sometimes 20 yards even off a wedge, with the sog ball last year i lost no distance in fact the ball was going a bit further due to lack of spin on the ball.

i wouldn't say i had a slow SS, but not quick 98 with the driver and early 80 with 7 iron.

in saying that i like the soft feel on the club i hate hard rock off the club
That's fair enough. For me the difference is probably negligible, but I have noticed a little bit of extra distance with the Velocity when I crack one properly. Plus they don't seem to spin offline too much, I've only lost 8 of them in three months which is a pretty decent ratio for me. Could all be coincidence that I've just played better since getting them of course. That's the thing with golf balls, you never know if there's real difference or if it's all in your head. :LOL:

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My ball of choice at the moment, I bought some white DX2s and my game seemed to improve at that point. Made the mistake of buying some blue DX2 Optix, almost impossible to see in flight and on the ground. Currently using the green version.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been using DX 2s and DX 3s almost since I started playing. Good ball at a good price and just seem to work for me. Tried all sorts of other ones but keep coming back to Wilson Staff. The orange optix are great for winter (I also made the mistake of buying the blue ones)

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
I am not that convinced on the green much prefer the orange. Was thinking of trying the red, but with autumn just round the corner wondered if red would be lost in the leaves. I was warned about the blue and thankfully didn’t try a box.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I had 3 dozen when they were 3 for 2 at CG last winter. Thought they were decent but I've not been playing for too long so I'm trying something different each time at the minute. Once I've had loads of different ones and I know what's best for me I may go back to them, probably for winter.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I am not that convinced on the green much prefer the orange. Was thinking of trying the red, but with autumn just round the corner wondered if red would be lost in the leaves. I was warned about the blue and thankfully didn’t try a box.

Isn't green likely to be Impossible to find? Lol I got red yellow and orange, red were by far the worst. Orange and yellow decent with orange being slightly better than yellow

peld

Visit site
The mygolfspy study basically said if you use a soft feel golf ball you are immediately putting yourself at a disadvantage as they spin less round greens and offer less distance, no matter what the swing speed.

Suggestion was basically use basic distance golf balls until you can use a premium ball.

(fwiw I like the Wilson dx2 soft, certainly for putting)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not read the full article but flicking through the latest Today's Golfer at the station (forgive me GM for I have sinned) there is a massive ball testing feature in it. Not sure from the brief look that a soft feel ball does actually produce less spin. I may have to get a copy in the morning and report back