Will you resign your membership to be a nomad with an official handicap?

Will you resign your golf club membership to be a nomad with an official handicap?

• Yes

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • No

Votes: 94 86.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That seems strange to pay to use it and now it's free you don't. I get why you'd want 9 or 18 on the main course if you can get out (tee time or quiet time depending on how your club normally operates). If I had such a facility I'd definitely use it once a week in the summer to sharpen my approach shots to the greens

To be fair since golf became everyone's sport the main course is pretty empty except for golfers and all the newbies are down the par 3 and the range so avoiding like the plague .. just too many people at once

Plus used to do 2 balls at once in 40 mins

Wouldn't get that now

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be fair since golf became everyone's sport the main course is pretty empty except for golfers and all the newbies are down the par 3 and the range so avoiding like the plague .. just too many people at once

Plus used to do 2 balls at once in 40 mins

Wouldn't get that now

Do you think that'll change post-Covid and it'll be easier to use the par 3 course

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think that'll change post-Covid and it'll be easier to use the par 3 course

Hopefully, I love the par 3 course for short game practice

It's great

But the main course I could nip on and play 4 holes with little issue make a little loop 1st 2nd 8th 9th

Two par 4s a 3 and a 5

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hopefully, I love the par 3 course for short game practice

It's great

But the main course I could nip on and play 4 holes with little issue make a little loop 1st 2nd 8th 9th

Two par 4s a 3 and a 5

Do what you feel does your game the most good. Jealous that you've got the choice. We do have a pitch and putt attached to a range I use in Ascot but it is suffering the same fate as your par 3 and rammed

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do what you feel does your game the most good. Jealous that you've got the choice. We do have a pitch and putt attached to a range I use in Ascot but it is suffering the same fate as your par 3 and rammed

Ironically I never thought I'd like the course as it's long. Links style and bloody hard

But love it.. and only 9 min drive

Can even divert there on way home

Got a mid week 9 hole comp in 2 weeks , tee off 11:30 finish latest 13:30 if rammed. Straight down a13 to work for 15:00 shower at work

Diamond

Visit site
You can pay £75 at a municipal, get a handicap, be a member of the golf union and affiliation to a county which in turns means you can play county competitions at excellent courses throughout the year at a reduced rate. Combine this with friends who are members of clubs where you can guest at a reduced rate and golf isn’t expensive if you do t want it to be.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
or have had enough of paying £100 per month during winter for their course to be closed or a mud bath.
This for me is one of the reasons I never work out full membership on a 12 monthly basis. I live in a clay area. Unless I drive the 25 miles to the coast, then from November - February I am almost always going to be missing out on a total of roughly 2-3 months.

So £1,200 for the year isn't really £100 for each month you can play, it's £130.

Diamond

Visit site
This for me is one of the reasons I never work out full membership on a 12 monthly basis. I live in a clay area. Unless I drive the 25 miles to the coast, then from November - February I am almost always going to be missing out on a total of roughly 2-3 months.

So £1,200 for the year isn't really £100 for each month you can play, it's £130.

Thats a good point. £1200 is for 9 months not 12 due to the weather.

The 18 hole courses near me range from £800 to £2500 and I pay £1100 for 12 months 7 day membership.
Happy with everything except the Winter play as it’s muddy and caked in it after a round. I want to play all year if the course can handle it so when closed that’s fine. When open it has to be playable and not slop.
Currently on a waiting list for similar priced course but much drier as built on sand. Only difference is a signing on fee of £1000.
The other option is 2nd membership in the north west on a course that drains well but haven’t w clue where to start with that.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing the next move to stop everyone being a nomad is entry with club handicap only. too many handicap cheats already to let this happen all over again. or a minimum 20 rounds a year to stop it happening.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it opens up an avenue but there is nothing that would stop me being a member. I am happy with what my club is offering but should that change then I'd simply look for a different club. I like what club membership offers. I don't look too much at annual cost/rounds played given we could be closed for waterlogging or snow, let alone lockdown 3.0 which is being muted. I look at whether I am getting value for money for the whole package.