Will you have the Covid Vaccine

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Will you have the Covid Vaccine

• Total voters

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Yes but at Group 7 it will be a while before I get it. It may be that as we are caring for an 88 year old with Dementia we may get it earlier but I'm not sure of the rules on that.
What depresses me is the mountains of misinformation and conspiracy theories out there.
However, for those who choose not to take it then I'm sorry but I'll have no sympathy for them.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes 100%. Had it, don't want it again!
Chances are you won't get it again whether you get vaccinated or not. There have been properly peer-reviewed studies that suggest there will be long term immunity after infection.

This youtube video is worth watching:
I've seen quite a few of this guy's videos and he's definitely not one of the naysayers - indeed he clearly understands the seriousness of the situation.
But he has a properly open mind and is prepared to study ALL of the science available (unlike lots of so-called experts who seem to have dogmatic views one way or the other).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is fine if someone is young and in good health to wait a while. Young slim white women (or as many of those characteristics as possible) without any serious illnesses, for example, are very unlikely to die or end up in ICU. That is a rational and reasonable choice to make.

If the reason, though, is that someone is worried about the 5G nanobots put there by Bill Gates, they need to catch a grip of reality.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Reply to an anti vaxxer on Wings.

'You obviously feel very strongly about it but do you know anyone who could perhaps present your thoughts in a coherent way'

Ouch....better quality of insults in Scotland.:love:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chances are you won't get it again whether you get vaccinated or not. There have been properly peer-reviewed studies that suggest there will be long term immunity after infection.

This youtube video is worth watching:
I've seen quite a few of this guy's videos and he's definitely not one of the naysayers - indeed he clearly understands the seriousness of the situation.
But he has a properly open mind and is prepared to study ALL of the science available (unlike lots of so-called experts who seem to have dogmatic views one way or the other).

I agree with the general sentiment, that immunity will last a decent time. I suspect it will be years rather than months, although eroded somewhat by mutations. He doesn't really understand the science all that well, though.

Some scientists have dogmatic views, but most are wiling to look at evidence and data. They will, however, critically assess that data and reject some of it as being of poor quality or making unreliable assumptions.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is fine if someone is young and in good health to wait a while. Young slim white women (or as many of those characteristics as possible) without any serious illnesses, for example, are very unlikely to die or end up in ICU. That is a rational and reasonable choice to make.

If the reason, though, is that someone is worried about the 5G nanobots put there by Bill Gates, they need to catch a grip of reality.

Thing is if people had said elon musk you would think less crazy

But the nicest man on the planet?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I would have it. However, this article doesn't inspire confidence. I'm sure it's all OK but I'd like to know if this is standard practice or is an exception being made
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...egal-indemnity-safety-ministers-b1765124.html

This applies when Govt chooses to make an emergency use authorisation, which is not a full approval because the full data package has not been submitted by the manufacturer. Because the vaccine is effectively unlicensed (which requires a full approval), the company is not responsible for the shortfall in data and indemnity is offered to bridge this period until full approval, at which time the company assumes the normal product liability.

www.hiltonpark.net
I agree with the general sentiment, that immunity will last a decent time. I suspect it will be years rather than months, although eroded somewhat by mutations. He doesn't really understand the science all that well, though.

Some scientists have dogmatic views, but most are wiling to look at evidence and data. They will, however, critically assess that data and reject some of it as being of poor quality or making unreliable assumptions.
Interesting to know which parts you thought he didn't understand too well. It's been a long time since I studied immunology in my degree so am no expert but I thought he's explanations were pretty good. I suppose from his perspective as someone trying to explain to the layman on youtube there has to be a degree of simplification?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is if people had said elon musk you would think less crazy

But the nicest man on the planet?

No, I would think just a different flavour of crazy. I have never been a fan of Microsoft, but Bill Gates has chosen to use a huge amount of his fortune to help others, and he deserves credit for that. I haven't seen Elon Musk do the same.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting to know which parts you thought he didn't understand too well. It's been a long time since I studied immunology in my degree so am no expert but I thought he's explanations were pretty good. I suppose from his perspective as someone trying to explain to the layman on youtube there has to be a degree of simplification?

He didn't seem to know that antibodies come from B-cells. Like I said, I agree with the general message, and much better than most of the people who 'do their research' on facebook.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
This applies when Govt chooses to make an emergency use authorisation, which is not a full approval because the full data package has not been submitted by the manufacturer. Because the vaccine is effectively unlicensed (which requires a full approval), the company is not responsible for the shortfall in data and indemnity is offered to bridge this period until full approval, at which time the company assumes the normal product liability.
Thanks for that. Funny how "the media" didn't include that part ?

www.hiltonpark.net
He didn't seem to know that antibodies come from B-cells. Like I said, I agree with the general message, and much better than most of the people who 'do their research' on facebook.
A quick search on him shows he was an honorary Prof at the Institute of Infection Immunity & Inflammation at Glasgow Uni so I would think he probably does.
On another noteI listened to an a good Radio 4 podcast called "how the they made us question everything" and it starts with how the tobacco industry, using an ad agency, used scientists to sow seed of doubt in the public conciousness. They called it "white coating". They then showed how it has been used in Climate Change and other areas and it's been used by people with vested interests during this pandemic.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If asked right now it would be no. My first question would then be has everyone that needs it had it first, NHS and care homes? Those at risk and the elderly? The young who can have it and those who care for anyone one of the above.

I would happily give up getting it until the last moment to ensure anyone else who needs it more has it first.

I will isolate, wear masks, not see friends and relatives if needed to before those criteria are met.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm happy to know immunity "should" be pretty good and being in the young white slim female group (well 3 out of 4 aint bad!!) my risk is also low. So I'll be towards the back of the queue but would still have the vaccine.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A quick search on him shows he was an honorary Prof at the Institute of Infection Immunity & Inflammation at Glasgow Uni so I would think he probably does.
Are you sure it's the same Prof John Campbell? There is a Professor of the same name who is hte director of the Scottish Blood transfusion service.

I have seen a couple of his You Tube videos and whereas I would certainly agree that he is an honest and effective communicator with no obvious bias I do think he sometimes gets the science wrong, which is understandable no one can be up to date and knowledgeable about all fields which the pandemic covers, but he is certainly not an 'expert' in all the topics he covers.
His background is I believe A&E and education.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
On another noteI listened to an a good Radio 4 podcast called "how the they made us question everything" and it starts with how the tobacco industry, using an ad agency, used scientists to sow seed of doubt in the public conciousness. They called it "white coating". They then showed how it has been used in Climate Change and other areas and it's been used by people with vested interests during this pandemic.

That is a different John Campbell. The youtube guy is a retired nurse, not a medical doctor. The Hon Prof is a scientist at the Blood Transfusion Service in Scotland.

Edit: Beaten to it by backache.

So can you expand on your theory on 'white coating' as it applies to Covid?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you sure it's the same Prof John Campbell? There is a Professor of the same name who is hte director of the Scottish Blood transfusion service.

I have seen a couple of his You Tube videos and whereas I would certainly agree that he is an honest and effective communicator with no obvious bias I do think he sometimes gets the science wrong, which is understandable no one can be up to date and knowledgeable about all fields which the pandemic covers, but he is certainly not an 'expert' in all the topics he covers.
His background is I believe A&E and education.

Precisely. Means well, and we can agree with common sense advice, but he is not an expert in this area.