Why isn't this round counting towards my best 8 scores?

Newton

Visit site
Ok, a really trivial question I know, but this is bugging me. I play 3 times a week, same course, same tees. Although it’s social golf only, I always put a card into EG to maintain an up to date handicap. So I’ve got 20 rounds in the system from mid June, and a handicap based on the best 8 of these (if I understand correctly).

Before yesterday my 8 best gross scores ranged from 77 up to a single score of 90. Yesterday I shot 89 gross. So I expected the ‘90’ to be replaced by the ‘89’ in my best 8 scores and maybe a 0.1 reduction in handicap.

However the ‘90’ (from early July) remains in my top 8 scores and yesterday’s 89 is a non-counting round for the purposes of my handicap calculation. When I compare the finer detail between the 2 rounds, the course and slope ratings haven’t changed but the ‘90’ has a Score Diff of 16.8 whereas yesterday’s lower ‘89’ has a Score Diff of 17.9. I can’t get my head around this, am I missing something?

Also, one final question. When myself and my partners starting using the EG App we would get a notification ‘ping’ if somebody had sent a scorecard for approval or indeed, if your scorecard had been approved by somebody else. This no longer happens for any of us despite checking notification settings and reinstalling the App. Is this a function that has been removed from the App? It’s a bit of a pain to have to keep checking messages in the App to see if a playing partner has sent their scorecard to you.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
‘90’ has a Score Diff of 16.8 whereas yesterday’s lower ‘89’ has a Score Diff of 17.9. I can’t get my head around this, am I missing something?

Check the PCC column. Does the 90 have a PCC of 1, and the 89 have a PCC of +1. Ultimately, it is not the gross score you need to look at, it is always the differential.

As for the 'pings'...I still get them and most recently played on Monday when my group GP'd the 36 hole day we were playing.

Newton

Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
I've never noticed the PCC number. It's actually '1' for the 90 and '0' for yesterday's 89. So I presume still enough to make a difference.
It's weird about the 'pings'. I thought it was an issue with my phone settings but all 3 of my playing partners have reported the same problem and none of us have been able to revert to receiving a notification 'pop up'.

nickh

Visit site
Add up the 8 lowest Score Diff. values from the most recent 20 rounds and divide by 8 to calculate your WHS Index. Gross score is an indicator, but as you've experienced, a lower gross score doesn't always equal a lower score differential.

..Nick

Newton

Visit site
Yes, thanks. I was kind of familiar with the calculation regarding best 8 Score Diff and also the impact of slope and course rating on gross scores. It's the Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) which has thrown me. I had no idea of it's existence.
The EG App feeds into the IG system which we use at my golf course. The Handicap Record on the IG system details course and slope rating for each of my rounds but not the PCC. I had to go back to the EG App for individual rounds to view the PCC. All makes sense now.
Thanks to all.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, thanks. I was kind of familiar with the calculation regarding best 8 Score Diff and also the impact of slope and course rating on gross scores. It's the Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC) which has thrown me. I had no idea of it's existence.
The EG App feeds into the IG system which we use at my golf course. The Handicap Record on the IG system details course and slope rating for each of my rounds but not the PCC. I had to go back to the EG App for individual rounds to view the PCC. All makes sense now.
Thanks to all.
Neither IG nor any other ISV front end calculates the PCC. It is done by the WHS software at the centre after all the day's scores have ne received.

Arleneg

Visit site
For your handicap, the Score Diff is key, not just the gross score. If your ‘89’ has a higher Score Diff than the ‘90’, it might not replace it in the top 8.

Swango1980

Visit site
Incidentally, I don't get the PINGS anymore when someone sends a round for attesting. Don't get pings anymore, either, if someone comments on my round.

I used to, but haven't done so in probably over a year now.