Why is my iPad so slow?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Iv got an iPad Air, it’s a 16gb one and has about 4.5gb of space free, Iv deleted all unused apps etc, Iv Googled the “how to speed up iPad” things and switched of background refresh, cleared out website history etc, and all that kind of stuff, Iv got the latest software on it but it’s still painstakingly slow, I mean if I click on a page, like on this forum it takes 15/20 seconds at least to load. Iv also noticed i have to press tabs twice quite a lot to get things to work. Sometimes I see something I want to click on and touch the screen only for it to open something completely different because the screen wasn’t fully loaded when I touched it and Iv actually pressed something further down the page.
Anyone any idea how I can get it quicker or why it does this?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Its apple, its rubbish, it has suffered from death by update. Its what they do best. Go worship at the temple of apple and buy another one.

Or, buy something else.

Not what you want to here, granted, but sorry, apple make crap.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
A bit harsh. I'm not an Apple fan at all. Android phone and Windows tablet for me, but I got my missus the iPad as it is easy to use, gets regular updates and I don't get hassle generally. He old iPad 2 was working fine and I updated her to the iPad 2017 last year which she loves.

But.....
I don't see it as being better than anything else.
She seems to struggle with WiFi connection far worse than
I hate the fact that iOS is so restrictive.

Back to the OP, I've heard that if you back up everything and basically start the iPad back to factory settings and then reload everything again, that helps to speed it up.

Mind you my 2 year old £100 Linx 1010 still works a treat! :D

G

guest100718

they deliberately slow down older products to force you to buy newer

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I really liked my iPad Air but upgraded because of the lack of memory(16GB) for music, books and photos. I bought the 128GB iPad Pro, and love it. Way better than my HP Windows i7 laptop. So flexible, and with a million and then some apps... fantastic.

But needing a laptop for photo editing I thought I might as well switch to Apple for that. Honestly, its clunky. Not as versatile, and the graphics aren't the best. In terms of how flexible and intuitive I thought it would be on a par with the Pro. No, it feels like I've stepped back a generation. And the build quality doesn't blow me away either.

I view quite a few YouTube tutorials for it in the hope that I will learn to love but... MacBook Air isn't all I'd hoped it would be. Very disappointed, and for the same money spent for a Windows laptop the spec is way better.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just replaced my iPad 2 with a new iPad Pro. The very helpful lady in the Apple store did explain that in addition to the building in of obsolescence, older models just aren’t built to handle new software updates. Some of the stuff the Pro can do over my admittedly old iPad 2 shows real advancement.
Mrs Sweep also has an iPad 2. Her’s is miles worse than mine when trying to get online. The Apple lady said that mine was actually quite quick for an iPad 2.
I wasn’t too happy to be paying out for a new one but on reflection my iPad 2 was a few years old. I am sure my work desktop windows PC will have been replaced during that time and at least a few new versions of Windows will have been installed. I guess like most people I am on these things more and more and rely on them in my daily life so the bullet had to be bitten.
The Apple lady did say a complete back up and factory reset should speed up an old iPad. I have to say the iPad Air doesn’t seem that old and in my view shouldn’t be going slow just yet.

As someone previously mentioned, I visit and post on this site through my iPhone and it is a bit of a nightmare. The pages are constantly closed and reopened and a week or so ago scrolling was so jerky it was at times unusable. Pinch zoom often won’t hold. I only experience this on this site and did wonder if anyone else had the same trouble? If I manage to zoom in to keep the moving adverts off screen that seems to help.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you phoned Apple technical support. They are so helpful and can go into your IPad from where they are based.

I have used them a 2/3 times and they always provide the solution.

Please let me know if successful

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just replaced my iPad 2 with a new iPad Pro. The very helpful lady in the Apple store did explain that in addition to the building in of obsolescence, older models just aren’t built to handle new software updates. Some of the stuff the Pro can do over my admittedly old iPad 2 shows real advancement.
Mrs Sweep also has an iPad 2. Her’s is miles worse than mine when trying to get online. The Apple lady said that mine was actually quite quick for an iPad 2.
I wasn’t too happy to be paying out for a new one but on reflection my iPad 2 was a few years old. I am sure my work desktop windows PC will have been replaced during that time and at least a few new versions of Windows will have been installed. I guess like most people I am on these things more and more and rely on them in my daily life so the bullet had to be bitten.
The Apple lady did say a complete back up and factory reset should speed up an old iPad. I have to say the iPad Air doesn’t seem that old and in my view shouldn’t be going slow just yet.

As someone previously mentioned, I visit and post on this site through my iPhone and it is a bit of a nightmare. The pages are constantly closed and reopened and a week or so ago scrolling was so jerky it was at times unusable. Pinch zoom often won’t hold. I only experience this on this site and did wonder if anyone else had the same trouble? If I manage to zoom in to keep the moving adverts off screen that seems to help.

I've had similar issues in the past whilst using iPhones. It doesn't happen anymore since I installed Lionz adblocker.

Also, my wife still uses an original iPad at home. Bit slow now, but still useable. We've had other tablets that haven't been half as good.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My ipad2 I have to use for work suffers from time to time with this forum reloading pages, stuttering and hopping around and it seems to be ad related. Some ads just screw the ipad2’s smooth running that my Windows 10 running desktop always gives me.
I have given up worrying about my ipad2 slowing, it’s an Apple product that like all things Apple is only supposed to be used for 2 years before being replaced as it obsolete.
Given the choice, Imwouldnneverbhave anything Apple.
Overpriced, overhyped and over here:)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
force close all your apps.
do a proper backup to itunes.
wipe the ipad.
restore from previous itunes backup.

Done.