Struggling with iPad Storage

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My iPad is saying I’m full, yet I’ve got iCloud and that’s saying I have over 16GB available in that?

I don’t really understand the relationship between my iPad & iCloud, other than I believe it’s somewhere to store excess stuff?!

I’ve looked at everything online and had some guidance off friends on Twitter and have followed everything they’ve said to look at, but my iPad says I’m maxed out and yet my iCoud has loads more capacity, so why don’t all my photos (for example) which is a good chunk of GB go or move to my iCloud (Drive) account?

I’ve deleted a lot of excess photos and unused apps, of which is another good chunk of GB but it’s hardly dented anything and I’ve got about 500MB available now which will get used up pretty quickly as I take photos of all my POD’s for customers.

Surely iPads can’t simply become full?

Do I have to manually move/save stuff to iCloud, although I’m sure I’ve got everything open in my settings to do it automatically but it doesn’t seem to be happening!

Edit:

Just found an app on my iPad named ‘Files’ which once opened is my iCloud (Drive) account which I pay for and is empty and states I have 29.8GB available?!

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
There have been reported glitches with the 16gb devices having their storage depleted by ios updates.

Are you running the latest ios? Or due an update?

The issue was predominantly on the iphone though, only resolution i ever saw to it was a factory reset.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
There have been reported glitches with the 16gb devices having their storage depleted by ios updates.

Are you running the latest ios? Or due an update?

The issue was predominantly on the iphone though, only resolution i ever saw to it was a factory reset.

Most of the things on my iPad are from my iPhone, it seems that anything I do on that transfers to my iPad!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Sounds like you either need to lose lots of stuff, or upgrade to a 32gb or 64 gb iPad.
The cloud is a copy of what you have on your iPad , so you have probably got 50gb cloud storage, but the iPad can still be full up.

The secret is to delete stuff from the iPad and not delete it from the iCloud , good luck with that.

Can you connect the iPad to a pc and import all the pics, then you can lose the ones you don’t need from the iPad

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If I delete photos on my iPad to create space, will that delete them also in my iPhone which is what I took them on?

and, it might seem daft a question but every days a learning day, if I’ve sent and saved those photos to my pc, will deleting them on any of my devices make them disappear on the pc or in any social media or websites I’ve loaded them onto.

D

Deleted member 16999

Once saved to PC you can delete them from phone/ipad etc.
Think off it as, say, making a photocopy of a letter, putting the photocopy in a draw then ripping up the original.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try this
Go to settings, then photos

Then halfway down you have a choice of :

- optimise iPad storage,
Or
- download and keep originals

If you have the latter ticked, you can swap to the former
The former on,y keeps low resolution copies on your ipad, and Jeep’s the full resolution ones in the iCloud

That saved me lots of space

(Then when you view a photo on your ipad, it will initially show the low res one, but will quickly go and get the high res one from the cloud)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Try this
Go to settings, then photos

Then halfway down you have a choice of :

- optimise iPad storage,
Or
- download and keep originals

If you have the latter ticked, you can swap to the former
The former on,y keeps low resolution copies on your ipad, and Jeep’s the full resolution ones in the iCloud

That saved me lots of space

(Then when you view a photo on your ipad, it will initially show the low res one, but will quickly go and get the high res one from the cloud)

Yeah I had that optimize ticked on my iPad which I had noticed before but it was ticked on the keep originals on my iPhone, so I've changed that so their the same!!

I've just cross referenced all my photo's that were on my PC and deleted them from my iPad, at first it didn't make any difference, even though I deleted over 2,000 photo's!! I then found those same deleted album photo's in My Places on a map, So I had to go through them again and delete them, which was a pain and has took me nearly 2hrs!

Its now released over 5GB of storage on my iPad and wiped loads automatically off my iPhone down to 17GB of 64GB.

The photo's I still have on my phone & pad I'll transfer to my PC then delete them also which should then be it for a good while, hopefully.

I'm knackered and need to lie down......and have a drink :cheers:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If I was you I'd get rid of it and get an iPad Pro with 128gb. Come to think of it, I think I did sell a 16gb iPad........... to ......... someone.

I had the same problem with photos, hence the decision to change. For me it was photos and iTunes.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If I was you I'd get rid of it and get an iPad Pro with 128gb. Come to think of it, I think I did sell a 16gb iPad........... to ......... someone.

I had the same problem with photos, hence the decision to change. For me it was photos and iTunes.

Hmm, you never told me that when I bought it off ya!

Bloody Hobbits 😜

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I used the cloud a lot but it was useless when on a plane and all my music was on the cloud. And then taking vids out here just ate up memory.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What's the difference of an iPad 128gb and iPad pro128gb

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I used the cloud a lot but it was useless when on a plane and all my music was on the cloud. And then taking vids out here just ate up memory.

I don’t understand “used the Cloud”, as per my images earlier, there’s nothing in that Cloud (Drive) app account? So where does stuff go to ‘use it’.

Everything is still visible on/in my iPad, so how does this ‘Cloud’ work?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don’t understand “used the Cloud”, as per my images earlier, there’s nothing in that Cloud (Drive) app account? So where does stuff go to ‘use it’.

Everything is still visible on/in my iPad, so how does this ‘Cloud’ work?

Its like an external drive that you access via the t'interweb. For example iTunes, if I had an album in the cloud it would show as a little cloud with an arrow from it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
One tip with Apple and iCloud and storage. If you set up optimisation, delete photos etc you MUST Plug into power, get on Wi-fi and leave for a bit!

Nothing is instant, if your plugged in and on Wi-fi with a locked screen the device will sort things out in the background.

Offloading apps is also the quick way to space, don’t delete, offload!

You can also buy or trial some apps to delete similar or duplicate photos which work a treat.

Lastly as said before, the iCloud program on a PC or using a MacBook or similar (don’t forget the external storage) could help too.

Occasionally I offload my whole iCloud photos and videos, combine certain albums from my wife’s phone (the toddler mostly and some holiday snaps etc), remove duplicates, rename with the date and time and then put back in my iCloud.

I’ve been doing this for a while now and ever since recently updated I’ve barely going over 1.5 GB of photos and videos on my phone despite the number of them doubling at least.

I also take a copy locally to my PC (for editing and other uses) and to a local NAS which I allow family members to browse certain folders remotely (again holiday pics and the tot).

Last edited: