Why high spin with my driver

albie999

Visit site
Hi guys, wondered why I keep getting high spin with my driver. At the moment, don't really have the cash and also still recovering from leg injury, so can't really get a fitting and new £400 driver

Anyway, my driver is a Ben Ross HTX 10.5 degree (lofted down to 9.5), with the standard Kuro Kage regular flex 60gram shaft

I have attached some screenshots of 3 of the type of shots I tend to get. Not to bad a carry with them, but think there is more in there, if I could figure lower spin

Any advice, recommendations etc appreciated
driver1.jpg
driver2.jpg
driver3.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Most likely you are hitting down on the ball - effectively increasing loft. Unfortunately, Angle of Attack is one of the stats that Skytrak isn't showing. Smash Factor is pretty low too - but AofA could be affecting that too.

Try teeing it up on a really high tee (3" )and feel as if you are hitting up on the ball (but not swaying away from ball) at impact.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Most likely you are hitting down on the ball - effectively increasing loft. Unfortunately, Angle of Attack is one of the stats that Skytrak isn't showing. Smash Factor is pretty low too - but AofA could be affecting that too.

Try teeing it up on a really high tee (3" )and feel as if you are hitting up on the ball (but not swaying away from ball) at impact.

How is hitting down on the ball increasing loft? It's increasing spin, to be sure, but it's obviously decreasing loft.

Fortunately, I'm not skilled enough to worry about any of that. If I can find my ball, and it's in a place that's left me a reasonable shot at the green, my driver did its job.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How is hitting down on the ball increasing loft? It's increasing spin, to be sure, but it's obviously decreasing loft.

Fortunately, I'm not skilled enough to worry about any of that. If I can find my ball, and it's in a place that's left me a reasonable shot at the green, my driver did its job.
Note the word 'effectively'! And it's all to do with (face angle angle at) impact! Spin loft is another term used - that may/may not be an easier concept.

If AofA at impact is 0 (flat) then effective/spin loft = clubhead loft (pretty much).
If AofA at impact is positive (hitting down) then effective/spin loft = clubhead loft plus AofA (pretty much).
If AofA at impact is negative (hitting up) then effective/spin loft = clubhead loft minus AofA (pretty much).

The greater effective/spin loft, the more spin.
The diagram in the 'Attack Angle' section of this page should help. https://www.truefitclubs.com/blog/optimize-driver-loft-distance/

D

Deleted member 21258

I would first check your strike ? (low on the face is a very high spin area btw)

As your smash is quite low, which normally means mainly equates to a poor strike (can also be a not great club/swing path & dynamic loft).

If the GH above is to be believed(seems to give some large differences on the figures for things like AOA and swing path??), your out to in path and open clubface will not be helping spin either. Your launch angle/dynamic loft looks quite high which would add spin at a guess, as you have probably added dynamic loft at impact (ie. clubhead ahead of hands at impact (as well as open clubface)?

Do some searchs on youtube or the internet, as masses out there.

But check you strike first and try to hit off the top half of the club? to see what that does to spin.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Note the word 'effectively'! And it's all to do with (face angle angle at) impact! Spin loft is another term used - that may/may not be an easier concept.

If AofA at impact is 0 (flat) then effective/spin loft = clubhead loft (pretty much).
If AofA at impact is positive (hitting down) then effective/spin loft = clubhead loft plus AofA (pretty much).
If AofA at impact is negative (hitting up) then effective/spin loft = clubhead loft minus AofA (pretty much).

The greater effective/spin loft, the more spin.
The diagram in the 'Attack Angle' section of this page should help. https://www.truefitclubs.com/blog/optimize-driver-loft-distance/
I was told at Titleist it was the other way around.
Hitting up was positive.
Hitting down was negative.
I was -4 aoa. But hit the ball very low. As I was delofting the driver.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was told at Titleist it was the other way around.
Hitting up was positive.
Hitting down was negative.
I was -4 aoa. But hit the ball very low. As I was delofting the driver.

You are correct. There are several ways to describe in words the effect of loft and AofA at impact - and I've used one of the confusing (or even erroneous!) ones (by ignoring the 'down is a negative value' aspect of AofA). Otherwise, I believe my post is fine.

User20204

Visit site
How high is your tee, as posted above, if you're hitting low on the face it'll create more spin, high on the face, less spin.