Driver spin

R90 STL

Visit site
Hi there.

I am new to the forum. I went to use a GC quad the other day to gather some data as I was curious what numbers I would produce with my current clubs as iv never had the opportunity to before.

The main thing I was concerned about after going was that my driver spin might be too high. Iv tried to attach my GCQ data. Hopefully someone can help me make sense of it and give some suggestions to optimise my driver.

Currently using Taylormade m3 10.5 degree lofted down to 8.5. This seems to be helping with my mishit to the left. Shaft is a stiff aldila rogue 65g.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• A94EF4CE-6775-4103-A678-91F7FC6FD689.jpeg
    A94EF4CE-6775-4103-A678-91F7FC6FD689.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DA3EC1F9-2090-49AE-8175-E99F1C3BDA10.jpeg
    DA3EC1F9-2090-49AE-8175-E99F1C3BDA10.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't worry about your spin rate.

Your smash factor (efficiency) at 1.37-1.41 is not great. I'd concentrate on improving the quality of the basic strike.....improving it from 1.4 to 1.45 will give you another 5 mph ball speed from your 105 mph swing....which will translate into more distance.

I dont know how much "effort" you were making with these swings....I sometimes find a tendency in such sessions to subconsciously drift into a state where you try to hit the ball too hard ...you hit a good one and without realising it, the next shot you try to beat it and swing a tad harder than you felt you did last time.....in reality the slower easier swing is the better one that delivers a more efficient strike.

When you say the lower loft helps with your mishit to the left.....what is the shape you are seeing now....does it still start left but fade back to the "middle" whereas before it started left and stayed left?

I'll be honest....I'm no expert in such matters, but from what I can see there are numbers there that indicate other things going on in your swing (out to in swing path with an open clubface, consistent toe biased impact) that are far more likely to limit your game than your spin rate. Yes your longest shot was the one with the lowest spin.....but it was also the least accurate by a significant margin.

Were you on your own with the LM or was there a pro with you who could interpret what was going on? If there was no pro then I'd say it would be worth going back (or perhaps taking your numbers to a pro if you are having lessons) and hitting some balls under some "expert" guidance from someone who can translate the numbers to what you are doing with the club. You may find that solving some other "problems" naturally takes care of the spin.

Obviously I've never seen you hit a ball so a lot is conjecture, so take what I've said with the proverbial pinch of salt.

Last edited:

R90 STL

Visit site
Thank you for your response. I have been watching some videos from TXG and I think you are right. Efficiency seems to be my issue rather than spin and perhaps strike being a bit too low causing it to spin more.

I was on my own hitting balls and I was trying to do a bit of a gapping session then I got carried away at the end trying to swing as fast as I could because I had no idea how fast I could swing a club and wanted to see what I could max out at which in hindsight was probably a bad idea. I was definitely feeling rushed and tired when I got to the driver as I only had an hour slot so I think strike suffered as a result.

Lofting down opens the club face on my driver so I have found that I haven’t seen as many bad shots to the left.

I think I’ll go back and have a lesson with the pro using the GC quad next time to try and work on strike and efficiency. Probably not trying to swing out my shoes as well because I wouldn’t do that on the course.

Appreciate your help that has been very useful.

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
Your numbers look like mine. Path Out to In, face open to path, high dynamic loft, high spin etc. poor efficiency
Need to change all that, or just play with a little fade