Why does talking bother people?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have read the whole situation and initial point totally differently. No arguing about the fact that it is seen as a breach of etiquette but more asking why the physical act of people talking near would put you off your swing. Sudden noises, yes. Hearing a sudden noise can produce a physical reaction but why would a bit of background noise impact on your golf swing. I saw the OP as simply asking if and why it bothers people so far as it being a physical impact on their ability to to hit a golf ball.

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes, you have cleverly not expressly said that, but there are a number of phrases used in which you advocate that talking on the tee is OK. You criticise those who object to it, as making an unnecessary fuss if it is done when they tee off. That amounts to saying the talker's behaviour is OK and the player is wrong to complain about it.
Anyway you dress it up and fall back on semantics, you clearly advocate as acceptable behaviour for pps to talk whilst the player attempts the shot.
I will say it again......I'm fine with people being quiet while others are hitting. Not being clever at all. I do not think it is ok for people talk while others are hitting. Should I put it in all large caps as well? I doubt it will help, you have formed an opinion, and I doubt you can see any other side of things. From the responses on this post......talking bothers some people and not other people. I was wondering why.......

Mandofred

Visit site
I have read the whole situation and initial point totally differently. No arguing about the fact that it is seen as a breach of etiquette but more asking why the physical act of people talking near would put you off your swing. Sudden noises, yes. Hearing a sudden noise can produce a physical reaction but why would a bit of background noise impact on your golf swing. I saw the OP as simply asking if and why it bothers people so far as it being a physical impact on their ability to to hit a golf ball.
Thank you. I couldn't have said it better.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I wonder if the duration that players expect others to remain quiet might be part of the problem?
  1. The swing itself is just 2-3 seconds
  2. The address including swing might be 6-10 seconds
  3. The PSR added to address and swing might be 10-15 seconds
  4. The picking line/practice swings added to psr, address & swing might be 15-25 seconds
  5. The players ‘turn to play’ added to picking line, psr, address & swing might be 25-30 seconds
Maybe the problem lies in the difference between when the player hitting thinks others should be silent/immobile and when the watchers think they should be silent/immobile?

It’s easy to imagine a guy hitting who thinks that 1-4 should be observed by others while a watcher thinks it’s 1-3 or even just 1&2

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder if the duration that players expect others to remain quiet might be part of the problem?
  1. The swing itself is just 2-3 seconds
  2. The address including swing might be 6-10 seconds
  3. The PSR added to address and swing might be 10-15 seconds
  4. The picking line/practice swings added to psr, address & swing might be 15-25 seconds
  5. The players ‘turn to play’ added to picking line, psr, address & swing might be 25-30 seconds
Maybe the problem lies in the difference between when the player hitting thinks others should be silent/immobile and when the watchers think they should be silent/immobile?

It’s easy to imagine a guy hitting who thinks that 1-4 should be observed by others while a watcher thinks it’s 1-3 or even just 1&2
Personally I will go quiet from the point where they step up to the ball. Including practise swing alongside they ball if they do that.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Personally I will go quiet from the point where they step up to the ball. Including practise swing alongside they ball if they do that.

Yeah I’d guess the quiet window for most will be similar but there will be plenty of examples of outliers. Can you imagine the guy standing 6ft behind his ball, staring off down the fairway trying to get ‘in the zone‘ swishing his club as he visualises his shot, shape, flight etc and you and I are chatting because he hasn’t got near his ball yet and we don’t think quiet time has started yet... but inside he's seething at us

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d go along with Orikoru which I guess is about 3.5 on Slabs scale.

Also proximity is important so this for tee and green but I’d go for 2 if I’m on the other side of the fairway.

I’ve alway considered Practice Swings as my PSR I’m worried now I’m missing out ?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Its an interesting idea. We have robot mower and ball collectors on our clubs driving range. But they have no particular restrictions on when they can work, and the area they work is just a big rectangle so easy to porgramme etc, and go into their little sheds to empty/refuel.
out on a course I imagine it would be harder to organise, and to have to travel long distances to reload on divot mix.
Wrong thread James.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just now it hit me....I can still remember a series on tv here back in the 80's called Bodyline....where the England cricket team I believe started throwing directly at the Aussie batsmen.....
Whhoooaah there :eek:. Throwing, throwing o_O. Bowling, they bowl in cricket. Actually quite legitimate but at that time not done before hence the uproar. I remember watching that series, a really good one.

Mandofred

Visit site
Whhoooaah there :eek:. Throwing, throwing o_O. Bowling, they bowl in cricket. Actually quite legitimate but at that time not done before hence the uproar. I remember watching that series, a really good one.
Sorry..... the only "bowling" I've ever done has finger holes in the ball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry..... the only "bowling" I've ever done has finger holes in the ball.
It is okay, we are here to educate :LOL:. I'm only relieved that you made your faux pas on here and not in the clubhouse at your place. An American suggesting throwing a cricket ball at a batsmen in Yorkshire :eek:. The best you could hope for would be expulsion, the worst...............

Mandofred

Visit site
It is okay, we are here to educate :LOL:. I'm only relieved that you made your faux pas on here and not in the clubhouse at your place. An American suggesting throwing a cricket ball at a batsmen in Yorkshire :eek:. The best you could hope for would be expulsion, the worst...............
Oh....I'm constantly being "corrected". I play a lot with a guy who semi-kiddingly wants you to die if you wear red. He's a Leeds supporter and can't stand Man U (although yesterday this came up and he can't actually remember why he hates them). Then there are all the words that just don't transfer very well......I wear pants, not trousers. My wife is constantly shaking her head if I head out the door with my fanny pack on. A bunch of the people I play with are also fairly strong cricket followers....they know enough by now not to ask me if I watched the latest match....I can't think of anything much more boring than cricket. Even baseball is less boring, and it's pretty boring. Now to be fair.....even though I was into sports for years....I think watching pretty well any sport is boring (don't get me going on Formula 1). Watching other people having fun doesn't make sense to me. I was just picking on our handicap guy on Saturday....he bought a new car....his old one wasn't very old. He's a Scot and I told him he wasn't holding up the tradition of being a tight money-grabbing North of the border fellow. I looked at one of the other guys I played with (ex local mayor) and asked him which is supposed to be more of a miser.....Scots or N Yorkshiremen? He didn't hesitate.....Scots. I get a fair amount of stick.....but I give a bit back:)

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I find it distracting when people are talking when I am trying to take a shot. I find it hard to zone them out and not listen to what they are saying and focus on my pre shot thoughts.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Human nature.
If you hear whispering they are talking about you.
Is it your strong grip, flat backswing, or something else you havnt noticed.
I find it’s just manners to be quiet.
But as said it forms with who teachers you the game and etiquette or lack off in this case.