Why does my driver go so high?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I use white castle tees.
I have the same problem, and a session with a launch monitor explained the reason:
Hitting down on the ball instead of up, resulting in too much backspin which makes the ball climb high, descend too steeply, with consequently very little run out.
Like you I was using white castle tees, which makes it pretty much impossible to hit up on the ball.
I have now switched to the longer pink ones, which has helped a bit, although it's still a work in progress. I'm wondering whether to try the orange extra long ones.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have the same problem, and a session with a launch monitor explained the reason:
Hitting down on the ball instead of up, resulting in too much backspin which makes the ball climb high, descend too steeply, with consequently very little run out.
Like you I was using white castle tees, which makes it pretty much impossible to hit up on the ball.
I have now switched to the longer pink ones, which has helped a bit, although it's still a work in progress. I'm wondering whether to try the orange extra long ones.

That was my first thought, white is quite low, so you would struggle with i big headed driver with one of these to hit on the up

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Definitely try a low lower loft driver.

I used to play a 9.5 went to 10.5 which went absolutely nowhere and spun like a top.

Took a chance on a 7.5 and never looked back.

Getting my best flights now out of a medium to high tee and the feeling of hitting level through the ball.