why do you play golf?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You don't win golf by playing better than everyone else on the day. You win by having the most inaccurate handicap on the day.

You don't have to win by playing well, someone else can simply play more crap.

It doesn't mean that anyone's h/cap is inaccurate seeing that a players h/cap isn't representative of a single round.

I play golf because I found that I enjoyed the challenge and only have myself to blame for not winning :p

Last edited:

sneill

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Me personally I play because I always feel I got better round in me. Maybe if I finally hit that perfect round id give up. Probably not tho.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My life is 100mph, I have a stressful job that often sees me away from home at days on end, or at least early starts and late finishes. Then when I eventually get home, I have 3 kids aged 5 and under, mrs rooter. So golf is my escape, a couple of hours to myself. Used to play competitive sports a lot, rugby, cricket, motorbike racing, so like to challenge myself.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I never actually answered the original question...got stuck into the debate instead.

Anyway, I love the strategy, the feeling of hitting a good shot - enjoying the flight when I've hit a cracker.
I love that I can play alongside my wife (and go golf holidays) and my dad.
I love looking at new gear even though I don't need it :p
I need something to think about, get better at...golf is perfect.
I've met loads of nice folk in the short time I've been playing too.

Pro Zach

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You don't have to win by playing well, someone else can simply play more crap.

It doesn't mean that anyone's h/cap is inaccurate seeing that a players h/cap isn't representative of a single round.

I play golf because I found that I enjoyed the challenge and only have myself to blame for not winning :p

I don't think I have ever said you have to play well to win?

My statement is about the accuracy of the handicap as measured against the score on the day. Your statement is about the accuracy of the probability (handicap) based on the quantity of data.

For example if you play 1 round of golf and shoot 80 we can't predict the probability of what your next round will be. If you then play another 10 rounds and shoot 80 every time we have the probability that you will shoot 80 next time. If you then play another 100 rounds all at 80 the probability increases because of the extra data. The handicap shows what the probable score will be based on the data from what you have previously done. It is not a certainty, it is a probability and can only be said to be accurate up until the point new data proves it wrong.

If in the next round you shoot 78 this shows the handicap was wrong. It is this inaccuracy that determines the winners and losers.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think I have ever said you have to play well to win?

My statement is about the accuracy of the handicap as measured against the score on the day. Your statement is about the accuracy of the probability (handicap) based on the quantity of data.

For example if you play 1 round of golf and shoot 80 we can't predict the probability of what your next round will be. If you then play another 10 rounds and shoot 80 every time we have the probability that you will shoot 80 next time. If you then play another 100 rounds all at 80 the probability increases because of the extra data. The handicap shows what the probable score will be based on the data from what you have previously done. It is not a certainty, it is a probability and can only be said to be accurate up until the point new data proves it wrong.

If in the next round you shoot 78 this shows the handicap was wrong. It is this inaccuracy that determines the winners and losers.

Your handicap is never meant to be the score that you will always shoot, it represents an approximation of your ability that enables people of differing talent to play competitively against each other. Anyone who plays the game has had scores much worse, as well as better, than their exact handicap should reap. If you shoot better than your handicap it doesn't mean that the handicap is wrong, it shows that, on a given day, you happened to find better form, and that happens all too rarely for most.

Pro Zach

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Your handicap is never meant to be the score that you will always shoot, it represents an approximation of your ability that enables people of differing talent to play competitively against each other. Anyone who plays the game has had scores much worse, as well as better, than their exact handicap should reap. If you shoot better than your handicap it doesn't mean that the handicap is wrong, it shows that, on a given day, you happened to find better form, and that happens all too rarely for most.

If shooting better than my handicap doesn't mean it's wrong, why is adjusted?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh God will this thread please just die! It's like watching a dog chase it's own tail. I think the topic is being lost.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dear Pro Zach - you really must try and understand that your handicap is a numerical estimate of your stretch ability.

That's why on average you and I will score in the range of 30-34 pts (or equivalent) for most of our rounds of golf - with a few 25-29 and a few 35-39 - with 36 pts reflecting an estimate of your good round - without a great deal of luck you can play to that but don't that often - that's why quite a lot of comps with not that many players (under 20) 40 pts will win.

And sometimes we all have a bit of a freak round when just about everything goes right. We haven't actually played any better than the day last week when we scored 32 pts - all that has happened is that the swings and roundabouts of golf have all gone our way - the short and med putts have all dropped - plus a few longies etc. And if the field is big enough someone will have their 3sigma round - that's 41pts or more - and when you are above the 3sigma the ability plus luck nature of golf means that the 41 can easily be a 45.

So the peson who wins with 45 pts does not necessarily have the most inaccurate handicap (remember handicap is a numerical reflection of ability - nothing to do with scoring in h/cap comps) - all it means that they have had their 3sigma day.

And for many of us that is why we play golf - every so often we have our 3sigma day.

Last edited: