Why do people do it?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Living adjacent to some of the best museums, galleries and theatre just about anywhere is a major plus... That's without mentioning all the great open spaces ?...

One hour 10mins from Grantham to Kings Cross and you dont have to pay to park the train.

I have always lived in small towns or villages and so any city feels oppressive to me after only a couple of days.

I agree.
Too many people.
Too much noise
Too much air polution.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You just have to look at all the attractions in London to see why a lot of people want to live there.

Theatres, museums, galleries massive Open air spaces such s Hyde Park. Loads of Pubs coffee bars and restaurants.

Personally I would not like to live there simply beacuse of the shear number of people,traffic and the noise.

D

Deleted member 15344

One hour 10mins from Grantham to Kings Cross and you dont have to pay to park the train.

I agree.
Too many people.
Too much noise
Too much air polution.

The train time is that but that doesn’t include the travel time to the station from home , then the travel time from the station to work which could easily turn it into a 2 hour commute each way so if you need to get into work for 9 that’s starting the day at 6 and not getting home until after 7 - not a great work life balance. That also doesn’t add in the various travel costs etc lack of seats.

I personally wouldn’t work in London even though i know I could increase my wage significantly but would reduce my life balance

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The train time is that but that doesn’t include the travel time to the station from home , then the travel time from the station to work which could easily turn it into a 2 hour commute each way so if you need to get into work for 9 that’s starting the day at 6 and not getting home until after 7 - not a great work life balance. That also doesn’t add in the various travel costs etc lack of seats.

Who mentioned anything about commuting?
Mega Steve said ''Living adjacent to some of the best museums, galleries and theatre just about anywhere is a major plus''
And I replied that the train journey is only an hour and 10 mins

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mega Steve said ''Living adjacent to some of the best museums, galleries and theatre just about anywhere is a major plus''

Agree, Station is a 10 minute drive for me. Easy to park, easy to get a cab home if I have a beer so trips to London and Nottingham for me are on the train, do what I want to do and head back. I can see the attraction of having loads to do on the doorstep but I would rather, for example, hoave a local village pub where I know everyone in there than having access to dozens of bars.

D

Deleted member 15344

Then half the point is valid - people in London have far less travel to the sights all over the city , they have many open spaces all over the city. There is places in the city right on the doorstep for people who live there

There are benefits to living in the city and negatives just like benefits to living in country.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then half the point is valid - people in London have far less travel to the sights all over the city , they have many open spaces all over the city. There is places in the city right on the doorstep for people who live there

There are benefits to living in the city and negatives just like benefits to living in country.

With the property prices in London being so high near the nicer big, open spaces, I would be surprised if most people did not have a significant journey to get to them. I walk out my front door.

As with the sights and museums, how often do you actually go to them, maybe once for some, maybe once a year for others.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
An hour 10 from Grantham would be no issue for working in the city. Although you don't need to move that far out to see a real drop in prices. Pretty much as soon as you're in Bedfordshire things become more reasonable

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having been born and bred in SW London I actually enjoyed city life. Easy to get around, so much to do and I enjoyed the hustle and bustle. Granted I was living at home so didn't have to worry about buying or renting a place. I do actually miss it, especially the higher salaries for living in the capital

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
An hour 10 from Grantham would be no issue for working in the city. Although you don't need to move that for out to see a real drop in prices. Pretty much as soon as you're in Bedfordshire things become more reasonable
Depends on whether the place is question has already been massively adopted by commuters. Some lovely market towns have now pretty much driven out the local populous as the housing prices rise and the High Streets become devoid of proper shops and full of café bars and shops selling expensive nicnaks.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

I get where you are coming from and all my mates cited same/similiar when they moved away, from the smoke, on retirement...
And, none of them have been back since...
When my better half posts, on FB, pictures of us in town mates will say "we need to get back up and visit"...
And, that's as far as it gets...

Suspect the same would apply for us if we ever moved away...
We do look in estate agents, when away, and think what we could do with the balance between selling up and relocating somewhere cheaper... But then I remember the blood, sweat and tears it took to get what we have and that we've been happy here... And, I am relatively only minutes away from countryside, peace and quiet etc if I can be asked to drive...

D

Deleted member 16999

Hated London when we lived there, but some of that was constantly doing the tourist trips everytime someone visited and the traffic driving in and out.
Now I love to visit, great when only going there for 24/48hrs, so much to see and do and better when when you only have yourself to please.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I genuinely despise big towns and cities..
I spend the absolute minimum amount of time in them that I can possibly get away with.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends what you class as London tho

Central London no thanks .. couldn't do it

I'm zone 6 out here .. London borough .. just inside m25

Perfect balance

Hop on a train 30 mins to the O2.. fast trains into London take about 30 mins

I work in north London so drive round the 406 to work

Suits me to a tee

I could also live anywhere on the A1 saying that for work wise

However I love what we got around here

Prime example is this week Ive had to do 5 tip runs after clearing my house for re carpeting etc

20 min round trip.. would be much more of a pain elsewhere

I like the stuff around and the travel

If I didn't drive the bus links are brilliant and free when you reach 60

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think age plays a part. My daughter is 23 and lives/works in Town. She loves the work, which is more interesting than it would be in the sticks, and she enjoys the social life. Daughter 2 and her mates are all keen to get there when they leave uni. I think we forget what it's like to be young...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
P
I think age plays a part. My daughter is 23 and lives/works in Town. She loves the work, which is more interesting than it would be in the sticks, and she enjoys the social life. Daughter 2 and her mates are all keen to get there when they leave uni. I think we forget what it's like to be young...

Also don't always factor into it what it's like on our kids growing up

Kids get bored so easy so things to do is great

My mate is pregnent with her first she lives in trowbridge near bath .. Longleat not far which is great but not much else like baby clubs and that

Round our way the local children's centre (10 min walk) and local library (15 mins walk) provided great classes and fun stuff for my little one

My wife has made some great friends via it aswell so she's delighted

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends on whether the place is question has already been massively adopted by commuters. Some lovely market towns have now pretty much driven out the local populous as the housing prices rise and the High Streets become devoid of proper shops and full of café bars and shops selling expensive nicnaks.

youve not been to many towns in Bedforshire lately if you think theyre like that Greg lol, as for the golf options :eek:

D

Deleted member 25172

I’d love to move but not very likely to happen as g/f is born and bred in London and have her parents there. It’s also a matter of work situation for me.