Why do people do it?

Wolf

Visit site
Main reason is Money that they stay and work there. The majority of the highest paid jobs in the uk are based there so cost of living become relative. That is obviously then counteracted by the huge number of people living in poverty in the greater London area, the reason they carry on living there is purely because they don't then have enough left to be able to afford to get out and start again. Thats a vicious cycle that somehow needs breaking.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you lived in London you wouldn’t need a car with the excellent public transport network.
Always amazes me why people always pick on the extreme cases, so I’ll join you. We went to Alnwick not that long ago, and expecting cheaper housing than what we have I was amazed how expensive much of the property was, especially that home lived in by the a Duke of Northumberland.................

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I don’t like London that much. I can do 2 days there and then I have to leave. Too busy. Too expensive. And it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm from Lancashire originally (although live in Scotland now) but both my kids live in Surrey. Thankfully they've both now got on the property ladder but my Son in particular had to save by living in a single room in a house for about 5 years and now has a small flat. He's looking to upgrade but it's tough for him. I think they'll both stay down south now as both their partners are from down there but if they ever did move north then they could buy a similar size property with lots of money to spare.
Lots of people want to live in London hence the higher prices. A simple matter of supply and demand.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yes. Largely a revolting place. But 99% of the job ads I get are for inside the M25. That's why.

Got a guy in our team lives just outside Grantham...... works in Southampton. (before that he was in London)

Same with South Wales.... folk either work in Public Sector, or England!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would love move away from London, but in my job (insurance) I can't earn the same salary working in the sticks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you lived in London you wouldn’t need a car with the excellent public transport network.
Always amazes me why people always pick on the extreme cases, so I’ll join you. We went to Alnwick not that long ago, and expecting cheaper housing than what we have I was amazed how expensive much of the property was, especially that home lived in by the a Duke of Northumberland.................
Castles don't come cheap you know, particularly when they have a proper roof and everything :D

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wife worked in London and I was on the periphery. The old house is 20mins out of Victoria station and 10 minutes walk to the station. We thought the train line 2 gardens away was a poor selling point .. estate agent said otherwise and then we were told to rent the house out as moving up to central England we could pick up a house that was okay for our small family.
I avoid London as much as possible, my wife has friends there, but they can come out to see us ... we have space and trees and you can park your car near by. We don't have wine bars, cocaine, hookers and night clubs .. just an award winning Indian restaurant, several country pubs, trees, parking spaces, vomit free pavements

Wolf

Visit site
Wife worked in London and I was on the periphery. The old house is 20mins out of Victoria station and 10 minutes walk to the station. We thought the train line 2 gardens away was a poor selling point .. estate agent said otherwise and then we were told to rent the house out as moving up to central England we could pick up a house that was okay for our small family.
I avoid London as much as possible, my wife has friends there, but they can come out to see us ... we have space and trees and you can park your car near by. We don't have wine bars, cocaine, hookers and night clubs .. just an award winning Indian restaurant, several country pubs, trees, parking spaces, vomit free pavements
But those are the best bits about London ?
I try to avoid going back to London now unless I have a meeting or work event. Sadly though we have family still there and Mrs Wolf has just informed me she has planned us to visit them Christmas eve which means me driving us there on our way to Kent. I can see it being an angry Christmas eve with me being told to stop swearing because of traffic.....

D

Deleted member 21258

The buzz of working in London, is unlike anything else I have experience. Great Buzz, along with experiencing businesses that almost do not exist anywhere else, was a great learning curve and really opens your eyes to stuff that you don't come across elsewhere, it is a special buzzing place.

Had friends who lived there, would I live there, no way:LOL:, love the open space and feeling of space to much. Best move I ever did was moving away from the South East and moving up North, its great up North, a lot more friendly, roads less busy, less built on, cheaper golg and did I mention more space.(y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i was a young man, i loved it, out every night and i mean every... it had everything for me back then as i got older.... i liked it less and less. now i live about as far away as you can get in Mainland UK... i look back with Fondness to the 80's and 90's but its not the same place it was

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've worked in W1 and E1.
But why do people go to cities at all when they could be living a life of rural splendour?
The answer is simple. The city presents more opportunity, especially for quality work with more money.
The Human Zoo by the biologist Desmond Morris makes an interesting observation. We are intelligent animals and to us living in cages is not a problem.
The cages are the home and the workplace. We are also social animals who like being among other people.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd rather pitch a tent in that parking space than live in Grantham ;)

Have you actually been to or lived I. Grantham. I lived there for 7 years and live in a village just outside now. It's a great down without the pretentions of some of its snobby neighbours like Stamford

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have always lived in small towns or villages and so any city feels oppressive to me after only a couple of days.