Why do ferrules ride up the shaft?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a few clubs in my bag where the ferrule is on the move. Ok, I can shove it back down, but why do they ride up?

If I swing a club, the forces involved should compress the ferrule against the club head, and yet it doesn't. It moves the other way.

Ideas?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just throwing a theory out there, so may be completely wrong, but when the club is in your bag, it is upside down, when you pick up the bag, put it down, carry, or even go over bumps in a trolley, the percussion may cause it to slide down.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it happens due to sloppy workmanship and cheap glue. i have 2 sets of clubs. one set made by ping the other set stripped and remade by a club builder. every club but one of my pings have ridden up but not one on my taylormades

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
doesnt explain why though Sam :)

A guess is that there is nowhere to go when forced down so they bounce back up the shaft from the force you mention, as I say only guessing though

But once moved, they can't bounce anymore, as they are not in contact.

My 5 wood is 5mm away from the club head, and to say it is loose, no way. It is tight as, and I am going to need a hairdryer to get it back down.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Usually because they are in the bag pside down and likely catch them on the bag lip as you pull them out.

They only have one way to go, up the shaft.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The shaft flexes during the swing and at impact .
The shaft ovals out at a point of stress this could cause a ferrule to move if not glued properly .
It can only go so far as the shaft is parallel at the tip but gets bigger as you move up the shaft!

I was told this by a club maker .
I have no idea if it is true but sounds about right when you think about it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's those naughty ferrule fairies, they're always looking for an opportunity to annoy golfers.

The worst is when you've got some lovely vintage banded ferrules and they separate them between the bands and even break bits off. :eek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some manufacturers do not glue the ferrules in place. They are held in place by shrinkage i.e to fit them they are warmed up and slid in to place, as they cool down the plastic shrinks and grips the shaft.

If you wash the clubs in water that is too hot this can cause the ferrule to expand and slip.

Similarly even with ones that are lightly glued if you wash the head in water that is too hot you can cause the glue to break down.

One other factor can be from the shaft prep area being beyond the hosel which causes the shaft to be undersized for the ferrule.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Most of you have it covered. Vibration, it happens more with irons as they're more prone to vibration running through the shaft, about 50% more than graphite shafts. Even a well glued or fitted ferrule can come free due to the fine resonance.