Why do custom club orders take so long?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In my experience it’s always, ‘allow 7-10 days for delivery’ however it’s rarely taken that long.

Assume it’s a case of managing expectations, if you say it’ll be with you within a couple of working days you leave yourself little wiggle room if things go wrong.

I’d rather get a nice surprise early than get the hump if they’re late.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
May be totally wrong but I thought Wilson Staff only had a distributor in the UK and no actual factory presence hence why not all of their clubs get a release over here. Maybe their gear is all shipped in from the US

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Custom orders are made to order from non-stock final product. They take a long time as it all has to be put together and QC checked etc.

Ping are clever, their orders are specified instead of customised. You order final product compiled from pre-defined and tested parts.

QC checks are mostly pre-done so orders can be shipped quicker.

Hackers76

Visit site
On the subject of custom clubs has anyone ever been to a fitting and found that the standard off the shelf model is just right for them? Seems like it should be common as standard clubs are built for the average golfer but I have yet to come across it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the subject of custom clubs has anyone ever been to a fitting and found that the standard off the shelf model is just right for them? Seems like it should be common as standard clubs are built for the average golfer but I have yet to come across it.
They probably wouldn't risk telling someone their custom fit is standard, because then they can just go and buy the clubs second hand online.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bog standard for me, but at least after fitting I know they're right.

D

Deleted member 15344

What’s standard though ? Yeah loft and lie can be standard but what about shaft choices ? Even grip choices hence why even if you are standard loft and lie it’s still worth customer fit

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What’s standard though ? Yeah loft and lie can be standard but what about shaft choices ? Even grip choices hence why even if you are standard loft and lie it’s still worth customer fit

Not even standard lie; as a general rule American manufacturers lies are more upright than Japanese manufacturers lies.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s just a static fit , I am 6’2” and standard fit because I have long arms.
But you are right the shaft loads and unloads differently from shaft to shaft.
If I hit them well great but have had standard fit that I just couldn’t hit.
Plus I quite enjoy the fitting process.