Why are most blinded by distance?

Boomy

Visit site
{for me} Lessons, with a coach I work very well with and constructive and consistent practice are the keys to a {reasonably} consistent and repeatable strike! Which is what it is all about.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems I lit the touch paper with this threaded, the joys of a smart phone on the bedside table while MrsSocks is still snoozing. Never fancied popcorn for breakfast but making some for lunch ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, that's just not true.

the reason I even went for a fitting was due to a mate who swapped out a 5 or so year old driver, and was suddenly smashing it 30 yards past me, whereas he was a consistent 0-5 yards ahead of me for as many years as I can recall. So I read all the latest bumf, and went for a fitting myself. I was certainly looking at the G425, but it spun like a tory minister, there was no gain over what I was using, then I got the LST in myhands, and there was that magical 15 yards. And yes my last driver was fitted too, and not with a stock shaft.

Year on year there's little to be gained, but miss a few years and for sure there's gains in there. Is it 15 yards, probably not, but it's there for sure.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not so sure that we all are. Why buy a Ferrari when the speed limit in this country is 70? Because of the attraction of nice things, and new drivers are nice things.

I think that people get sucked into the marketing hype but only for so long, they slowly come to realise that drivers are in deed maxed out, with marginal gains by manufacturers in speed across the face and in MOI with weight displacement.

The real gains come from a fitting which will get you into the most suitable shaft and the optimum launch conditions, but most of us buy used and fitting sessions for used clubs are not the norm.

Lessons are great, at the time, but you need a pair of eyes constantly confirming that you are actually doing what you think you are doing out of sight behind your back. So lessons every week?

For me the key is practise. Find a few keys and focus on them while practising, and of course don't neglect the short game.

Distance is great, I appreciate that more and more as I watch a regular playing partner blast it 50 yards past me and hit wedge in to my mid-iron. How you achieve distance gains will be different for everyone and if you don't already have that optimised driver then finding it, whether by design or by stumbling across it would be one of the keys to unlocking it. Just need to improve that 100 yards and in wedge play now.

A lot of content has merit here but the key for me is the final line, people just don’t spend enough time on their scoring clubs or those in which we hit common approach shots with.

I’m happy to go the the range with just my PW, 52* and 58* and spend hours with them, this year specifically I’ve never spent so much time and financial investment as I have in my putting and it’s the best my putting has ever been. I’ve not struck the ball the best this year yet my scoring has be consistent due solely to my short game.

I honestly see a better wedge/putter set up and technique far more beneficial than 10 yards on a drive.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I'm guilty of this. I'm aware of it but just can't help chasing distance.

Even discussed it during a recent lesson. For context I've had probably my best driving year ever but still bought a new driver and the different feel and launch has led to me subconsciously tweaking my swing and eventually destroying my ability to hit driver at all! (All compounded as I'm working on a grip change as well - too many variables!)

Anyway, starting to get it back after a good lesson and we discussed my driving in general - I already drive it a decent distance for the level I play at, the distance of the courses etc. In fact, improvements I've made to my iron play have actually reduced the importance of getting closer to the green. Sensible voice says "just keep hitting it 220/230 on the fairway and you'll always be in the mix".

But at the end of that conversation I said that even though, intellectually, I agreed with everything we'd just discussed I would never stop wanting to drive it further. It's just how I am.... And the stats don't lie - distance is a massive advantage in this game.
For a minute I thought this was Rory ;) - you're a champion being you is enough

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
IMHO kaz you nailed the point if 220/230 on the short stuff, that’s the importance. I can remember my GM driver fitting it 2012, there were two favourites. 15-20 yards longer but dispersion was also 30 yards wider.

Myself and the fitter discussed the set up of my course and we agreed on the shorter club. in the following season I dropped from 14-7.5 and this was driven from accurate driving and second shots from the short stuff. This brings the thread full circle.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find distance can be a funny thing. People who don't hit the ball a long way almost seem happy when they see a big hitter duff a chip shot or 3 stab. Hitting the ball a long way is fun and it's also feedback that you're doing something right. I get alot of satisfaction draining a 30ft putt but nothing feels better than bombing a draw down the middle.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find distance can be a funny thing. People who don't hit the ball a long way almost seem happy when they see a big hitter duff a chip shot or 3 stab. Hitting the ball a long way is fun and it's also feedback that you're doing something right. I get alot of satisfaction draining a 30ft putt but nothing feels better than bombing a draw down the middle.
I agree but as someone who can't get it out there regularly I have to play to my limitations and that includes accepting a loss of distance for hitting the fairway (or edge of first cut at worst). I have to play to the conditions and the length of the hole and so use my strokes accordingly. It is pleasing especially in the summer when I nail one out to 240 yards and I never take pleasure in seeing another player duff or mistakes. I can only control what I am doing with my ball

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Since returning to golf recently I’ve been hitting a 3 wood, and pretty much hitting every fairway. Being 30 yards behind my peers does make a difference, or does it… Winning one comp and picking up money in another suggests the scoring was okay.

Yes but hitting an 8 iron into a green is easier than a 6 iron, or is it. But the scores across 18 holes suggest there’s not much difference.

One thing’s for sure, it’s more fun hitting off the fairways than out of the rough, or is it. It’s great fun nailing a driver past everyone.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I used to drive the ball a good distance, but the consistency was nowhere and so many times I was reloading or chipping out or taking an unplayable.
I decided to get fitted at Precision Golf, and while it cost me a good bit, I now have I driver I can trust even with an average to mediocre swing on it. I've lost 10 yards, maybe 15, but I'm now playing from the fairway or first cut so much more than ever before. I'm probably hitting it about 230 - 240 now, but for more consistent.
I got the Ping G425 SFT, which has a 23gram weight in the heel to help me square the face on return, with the Aldila NV Green, 65gram stiff shaft. Does it work all the time? No. Does it guarantee me par every hole? No. Do I fear pulling it out of the bag on most par 4s and all par 5s? NO!
It was all about consistency and finding the short stuff for me, so losing a few yards didn’t bother me.
The Sim 2 Max which is allegedly a bombers dream saw me hit three balls and then hand it straight back, as I was carving it miles right.
So, I'm the opposite of chasing distance!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Those crossfield videos are slightly misleading. There is only so much that can be done out of the middle of the bat. Even lower HC players struggle with that strike pattern.

I Upgraded from my SLDR which I loved, to my current Sim. Out of the middle the Sim maybe a touch longer. However toey hits the Sim is noticeably less punishing, the SLDR would almost fall out of the sky.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Is 15 yds (maybe, but probably not) from a new driver going to make that much differnce? Your average 210 hitter will still be a long way back on medium length par 4s and longer ones will still be unreachable pretty much.
For those who want to, there are real gains to be had but it takes effort a lot of effort.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Should do the same test with an 18 handicap golfer and see what the results are. There is little point in some scratch you tube influencer type telling us how great the latest new club is. Their findings will be largely irrelevant for the vast majority of club golfers who don't display a similar level of consistency. Same goes for the test in the video....I'd take far more interest in a comparison between the two clubs across a range of golfing abilities....far more relevant to me and most of you lot.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a cobra F7 driver.. I hit it well, straight and in play

during lock down 3 I treated myself to a speedzone .. came out of lockdown and comments of "best Ive ever seen you drive" as long as others now etc etc .. now some is down to strike but I am pretty sure the F7 was forgiving but the speedzone has that forgiveness but with added distance aswell

That and in matt finish its gorgeous

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should do the same test with an 18 handicap golfer and see what the results are. There is little point in some scratch you tube influencer type telling us how great the latest new club is. Their findings will be largely irrelevant for the vast majority of club golfers who don't display a similar level of consistency. Same goes for the test in the video....I'd take far more interest in a comparison between the two clubs across a range of golfing abilities....far more relevant to me and most of you lot.
The golf club doesn't know who's holding it. At the end of the day it's a piece of metal hitting a ball. I'm sure modern drivers are more forgiving but people are claiming gains of 30 yards plus. Sorry but if you have a driver that is 30 yards longer than your previous driver then you where very poorly fitted before. I hit my ping g10 as far as my sim 2. The Sim 2 is just nicer and "slightly" more forgiving

Last edited: