WHS

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I take back what I said………

So I’ve started playing golf again and put in 3 cards which according to the email that I received (I will attach the picture) they take your lowest score -2 and that’s your handicap, purely based on the fact that you should improve.

A72-B1-EF8-B755-4973-979-E-027-E8377-FE4-E.png

So going on that basis I got a handicap of 5, +7 being my best score and as usual with just getting back into it that consisted of about 2 holes of shocking golf and 16 really good holes.

I then shot a +5 with a treble bogey on the last, that was a tough one but going by above that would mean a new handicap of 4 or possibly 3 if they dropped the treble to a double as I wasn’t stroking on the last. The pic above shows when you put in your 4th card it’s the lowest score -1

The handicap I got was 4.6 which isn’t exactly as I expected but tbh I wasn’t that fussed, I knew better golf would be coming. Yesterday after work I decided to play 9 and put it in, when I signed in it told me my handicap for the 9 selected was 1 which I thought was a bit stingy but knew it was doable and that’s exactly what I shot, a +1 and this morning my new handicap was 5.6 so it’s went up a full stroke……..wtf!!!!!!!!!

So my new opinion of the system is it’s PISH!!!!!!

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Clearly your own table shows you that after the early stages they start taking away the strokes they took off.

But it still doesn’t add up.
so after my fourth card was put in going by their own method my handicap would have been 4 and not 4.6! And then for them to give me a handicap of 1 for 9 holes which I then shot 1 over and then put me up one full stroke makes absolutely no sense at all.

I wonder what they will do after I stick another full 18 in, I mean after 6 cards it’s meant to be average of the lowest 2 then -1 so let’s see if that happens, I doubt it though.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
But it still doesn’t add up.
so after my fourth card was put in going by their own method my handicap would have been 4 and not 4.6! And then for them to give me a handicap of 1 for 9 holes which I then shot 1 over and then put me up one full stroke makes absolutely no sense at all.

I wonder what they will do after I stick another full 18 in, I mean after 6 cards it’s meant to be average of the lowest 2 then -1 so let’s see if that happens, I doubt it though.

Perhaps your calculations are against par rather than Course Rating. You need to know the CR for both 18 holes and the 9 holes you played.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Question on the:
60% low hcp + 40% higher hcp
Do we round after adding, or after the % calcs?
Thanks
Correction
Take decimal value of 60% (40%) of each CH. Add them together and then round.

To achieve equity for competitions involving mixed/multi-tee pairings any CR/Par adjustment is half the combined adjustments for each side.

Last edited:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Found this in congu now, which shows rounding after addition.

For greensomes, your combined team Playing Handicap is
60% of lowest Course Handicap
Plus 40% of highest Course Handicap
Players A and B above are playing Players C and D whose Handicap Indices are 17.1 and 21.3 respectively
Player Handicap Course Handicap Playing
Index Handicap Allowance Handicap
A 15.2 16 x 40% = 6.4
B 11.1 11 x 60% = 6.6
Total 13.0 rounded to 13
C 17.1 18 x 60% = 10.8
D 21.3 22 x 40% = 8.8
Total 19.6 rounded to 20
So the difference is 7 shots (20 minus 13) which are given by A&B to C&D

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yesterday there was a discussion about the calculation on 9 holes, can someone or does someone know how they work it out?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
5.1b For a 9-hole Score
A 9-hole score is scaled up to an equivalent 18-hole Score Differential for immediate use in the scoring record.
l A 9-hole score is scaled up to an equivalent 18-hole Score Differential by adding net pars for the remaining holes plus one additional stroke (which is
applied to the first hole not played), or 17 points in Stableford format (see Diagram 5.1b/1).
l The second 9 holes used for scaling up is always the same 9 holes that have been played.

A 9-hole score is scaled up to an equivalent 18-hole Score Differential as follows and rounded to the nearest tenth, with .5 rounded upwards:
Score Differential = (113 ÷ Slope Rating) x (adjusted gross score – Course Rating – (0.5 x PCC adjustment))
Where:
l Slope Rating equals the 9-hole Slope Rating of the 9 holes played.
l Adjusted gross score equals the adjusted gross score for the 9 holes played, plus net pars for the second nine holes plus one additional stroke. It is calculated using the 18-hole Course Handicap, based on the 9 holes played.
l Course Rating equals the Course Rating of the 9 holes played, doubled.
l 50% of the playing conditions calculation (PCC) for the day is applied.

Notes:
1. For the calculation of an 18-hole Course Handicap based on the 9 holes played, see Rule 6.1a.
2. An 18-hole PCC adjustment ranges from -1.0 to +3.0 (see Rule 5.6).

6.1b For a 9-hole Round
A 9-hole Course Handicap is calculated as follows:
Course Handicap = (Handicap Index ÷ 2) x (9-hole Slope Rating ÷ 113) + (9-hole Course Rating – 9-hole par)

(See Appendix E for guidance on stroke index allocation for 9-hole rounds.)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't believe people are still trying to work it out.

Old system: 0.2 or 0.3 etc off per shot under handicap (depending on your category). Pretty simple to work out.

New system: need a maths degree to figure it out. Forget it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I take back what I said………

So I’ve started playing golf again and put in 3 cards which according to the email that I received (I will attach the picture) they take your lowest score -2 and that’s your handicap, purely based on the fact that you should improve.

A72-B1-EF8-B755-4973-979-E-027-E8377-FE4-E.png

So going on that basis I got a handicap of 5, +7 being my best score and as usual with just getting back into it that consisted of about 2 holes of shocking golf and 16 really good holes.

I then shot a +5 with a treble bogey on the last, that was a tough one but going by above that would mean a new handicap of 4 or possibly 3 if they dropped the treble to a double as I wasn’t stroking on the last. The pic above shows when you put in your 4th card it’s the lowest score -1

The handicap I got was 4.6 which isn’t exactly as I expected but tbh I wasn’t that fussed, I knew better golf would be coming. Yesterday after work I decided to play 9 and put it in, when I signed in it told me my handicap for the 9 selected was 1 which I thought was a bit stingy but knew it was doable and that’s exactly what I shot, a +1 and this morning my new handicap was 5.6 so it’s went up a full stroke……..wtf!!!!!!!!!

So my new opinion of the system is it’s PISH!!!!!!
I suspect that the 9-holes you played had a course rating well below par and that gave you a 9-hole course handicap of 1 based on a handicap index of 4.6.

You quote +5 or +7 etc based on par. For handicapping, as you can see on the table of 3-20 scores, you need to calculate your differential for each score you submit.

Once you see your range of differentials, it will make more sense to you when your handicap index is calculated from those differentials.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Old system: 0.2 or 0.3 etc off per shot under handicap (depending on your category). Pretty simple to work out.

I've got a maths degree, so is it OK for me to not forget it?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm with you. Just turn up and play, see what has happened to your h/c the next day. The calculations are overly complicated and not worth worrying about. It is what computers were built for :D