WHS scoring

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if the ‘non qualifying holes are 16!17 and 18 it is ok to have the round as acceptable for handicap?What if they are amidst the other 15 holes?
Remember, I am not the national authority but IMO the committee, as the arbiter, may decide that DNS on those non-conforming holes is acceptable for the handicap round. I base that on my Edit in #39.

D-S

Visit site
Edit: I have just reread 2.1b/3 and it seems to me that if the last 3 holes were OB the committee could legitimately apply the last sentence of the first paragraph. As all players would be treated in the same way the last paragraph would not apply.
This is the last sentence that you quote “However, in some circumstances, individual hole score(s) may be adjusted to a net double bogey to produce an acceptable score.”

So you think that if the Committees give everyone nett double bogey for those holes at the end it would be ok? Surely this would therefore not be an 18 hole competition? Also who would play in a competition for handicap if they knew they were going to get three double bogeys on their record?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have played legitimate '18' hole Q comps where the 18th is out of play. So only 17 holes are played. Under 3.2, net par has been given for the DNS.
I have pointed to two possible options. You may not be happy with either so simply don't run one or the other comp. As I have said, I have no authority but I suggest you just do it. I can't offer any more.

Swango1980

Visit site
In the official "Guidance on the WHS Rules of handicapping as Applied in GB&I" by CONGU, it specifically says:

In this context CONGU® directs that scores are acceptable for handicapping purposes if:

• No more than two temporary greens are in play for an 18-hole round; or
• Only one temporary green is in play for a 9-hole round.

Therefore, surely it stands to logic that if a club holds an 18-hole competition, and 3 or more holes are on temporary greens, then it is simply not acceptable for handicapping, regardless of which holes are on winter greens? Otherwise, why would CONGU not caveat this official advice, and say something like "provided a score of "Hole Not Started" is applied to any hole in which a temporary green is in place, regardless of the actual score the player makes"

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the official "Guidance on the WHS Rules of handicapping as Applied in GB&I" by CONGU, it specifically says:

In this context CONGU® directs that scores are acceptable for handicapping purposes if:

Therefore, surely it stands to logic that if a club holds an 18-hole competition, and 3 or more holes are on temporary greens, then it is simply not acceptable for handicapping, regardless of which holes are on winter greens? Otherwise, why would CONGU not caveat this official advice, and say something like "provided a score of "Hole Not Started" is applied to any hole in which a temporary green is in place, regardless of the actual score the player makes"
Oops. Didn't check there. :oops:

wjemather

Visit site

The scenario here is slightly different to what is covered by the rules and guidance, where it is assumed that temporary greens have regulation holes.

Here, we have temporary greens with oversized bucket holes - just one of these would make scores unacceptable for handicapping as it does not comply with the rules of golf. The question is, can such holes be considered to have been closed for handicapping purposes?

Reactions: D-S

Swango1980

Visit site
The scenario here is slightly different to what is covered by the rules and guidance, where it is assumed that temporary greens have regulation holes.

Here, we have temporary greens with oversized bucket holes - just one of these would make scores unacceptable for handicapping as it does not comply with the rules of golf. The question is, can such holes be considered to have been closed for handicapping purposes?
It would seem strange if a round was unacceptable for handicap if there were 3 temp greens with regulation holes, but acceptable for handicap if there were 3 temp greens with bucket holes.

Does the guidance (that I quoted) specifically mention the size of the hole, or simply relate to the type of green that is in play? The size of the hole would surely be a separate matter, in that any bucket hole, on a temp green or even a main green (which would be odd) would not be acceptable for handicapping.

D-S

Visit site
It would seem strange if a round was unacceptable for handicap if there were 3 temp greens with regulation holes, but acceptable for handicap if there were 3 temp greens with bucket holes.

Does the guidance (that I quoted) specifically mention the size of the hole, or simply relate to the type of green that is in play? The size of the hole would surely be a separate matter, in that any bucket hole, on a temp green or even a main green (which would be odd) would not be acceptable for handicapping.
The issue is, if you play the full 18 but mark the 3 ‘bucket hole’ holes as DNS for handicapping purposes, is the round then acceptable? For the competition itself you can add the actual scores made on the non conforming holes back on.
if you just walked past the 3 holes then of course you could make it a perfectly acceptable 15 hole competition but this seems an odd solution as you might as well play them as you are walking them anyway.

Swango1980

Visit site
The issue is, if you play the full 18 but mark the 3 ‘bucket hole’ holes as DNS for handicapping purposes, is the round then acceptable? For the competition itself you can add the actual scores made on the non conforming holes back on.
if you just walked past the 3 holes then of course you could make it a perfectly acceptable 15 hole competition but this seems an odd solution as you might as well play them as you are walking them anyway.
Again, I would say not if you follow the CONGU advice word for word. They specifically say if you play an 18 hole round, it is only acceptable for handicap if there are no more than 2 temporary greens. They do not say it is fine to play all temp greens, but mark them as if they were not started.

They also do not say that a round suddenly becomes acceptable again if the holes on temp greens are bucket holes instead of regulation holes, as long as DNS is entered.

I assume a large part of this is practicality. If CONGU allowed this, they'd either need the software to be able to have a setting to confirm which holes had temp greens / bucket holes, so it could adjust score correctly between handicap and comp score. Or, they'd need golfers and/or Committees to ensure DNS is entered for all related holes, and then manually work out all competition scores. Which would he a right pain in the backside.

If the Committee wanted scores to count for handicap, surely they just completely prohibit play on the 3 holes with temp greens? Disadvantage, of course, being it is only 15 holes, and golfers may be quite happy playing the full 18.