WHS - Matchplay query

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got first ever post-WHS singles match tomorrow against a guy who is 15 shots lower than me. Was discussing with my PPs yesterday afternoon, one said I get 75% allowance, so shots on SI 1 - 12, the other said it's a 100% allowance.

Which of them is correct?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got first ever post-WHS singles match tomorrow against a guy who is 15 shots lower than me. Was discussing with my PPs yesterday afternoon, one said I get 75% allowance, so shots on SI 1 - 12, the other said it's a 100% allowance.

Which of them is correct?

What do you mean by 15 shots lower? Are you comparing Playing Indexes or Course Handicaps?

The allowance/playing handicap for individual matchplay is 100% of your course handicap. So you need to know both players' Course Handicaps to then work out how many shots you will be given.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I could be wrong but its also not as simple as you getting shots on SI 1-15.

As an example, if your course handicap is 18 and his is 3, you'd get shots on SI 4 to 18. As he would receive shots on SI's 1 to 3 as well.

Happy to be corrected on that. In fact I'd almost prefer it was that way as it would make it much easier to work out who gets shots where.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

As an example, if your course handicap is 18 and his is 3, you'd get shots on SI 4 to 18. As he would receive shots on SI's 1 to 3 as well.

Happy to be corrected on that. In fact I'd almost prefer it was that way as it would make it much easier to work out who gets shots where.
No. As said above you take each player's Course Handicap. 18 & 3 in this case.
Take difference between the two. ie 15. The lower plays off scratch and the higher handicapper plays off 15. So you get shots on SI 1 to 15.

PS: 75% was the figure years ago. 100% is the current allowance

Last edited:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
This was thrown at me yesterday in my first ever properly competitive round of golf. Fortunately I had done a bit of research so knew the rule, for the weaker player to play off the difference between the two course handicaps (100% playing handicap). That means the weaker player gets their shots on the harder holes, presumably where they most need them.

Presumably, if it goes to a playoff, shot allocation is exactly the same. If the 1st is the playoff hole, and the weaker player gets a shot, they still do even though it's a playoff. Is that right?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What do you mean by 15 shots lower? Are you comparing Playing Indexes or Course Handicaps?

The allowance/playing handicap for individual matchplay is 100% of your course handicap. So you need to know both players' Course Handicaps to then work out how many shots you will be given.
Course handicaps. We are both members at the same club, which is where we are playing.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely it's playing handicap and the difference between the two handicaps is the shots given or received.

Oh, and the allowances start again should you go up the 19th. A SF handicapper recently told a friend that he had used all his shots up by the 18th and any subsequent holes were all off scratch.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our club website lists all comps I am entered in and for matches tells me and opponent(s) shots given/received based upon our current HIs. I don't have to work anything out.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This was thrown at me yesterday in my first ever properly competitive round of golf. Fortunately I had done a bit of research so knew the rule, for the weaker player to play off the difference between the two course handicaps (100% playing handicap). That means the weaker player gets their shots on the harder holes, presumably where they most need them.

Presumably, if it goes to a playoff, shot allocation is exactly the same. If the 1st is the playoff hole, and the weaker player gets a shot, they still do even though it's a playoff. Is that right?
Yes. Our 2nd is SI 2. If I am giving a player 2 or more shots in a match and we have to go to extra holes, I really want to win it on the 1st. Our 2nd is difficult and I don't want to have to play it 'sudden-death' giving a shot. Of course as our 1st is SI 12 I don't want to go to extra holes at all if I am giving my opponent 12 or more shots...

tobybarker

Visit site

That's a very strange way of looking at it, and, technically, wrong

Swango1980

Visit site

I think people have been overly critical of your post. However, I have to give you some credit in that it was not 100% incorrect. The bit in bold was accurate, so as a proportion of the word count, you were 5.1% correct, and we can forget the other 94.9% :)