WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
New problem has raised its head...

Just been contacted by a couple of our members who have highlighted that when they try to register for the Members Account on the England Golf site, the verification code is being sent to a different email address from the one that is registered.

I've checked the DotGolf portal and the email address that is held is correct.

Swango1980

Visit site

Just been contacted by a couple of our members who have highlighted that when they try to register for the Members Account on the England Golf site, the verification code is being sent to a different email address from the one that is registered.

Do you mean that they are not getting the e-mail at all, or it is somehow finding it's way to an alternative e-mail they may have, but didn't expect to be used? For example, some might have already been registered with England Golf previously under a different e-mail address? Just thinking out loud

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

mmm....on investigation it appears that there were incorrect email addresses but someone else had corrected the errors without my knowledge!!!!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Check the system used by the club and the email on the WHS dashboard is correct and the user is using the same email. This will become a bigger issue when members change email acc and don't info anyone. Why doesn't everyone set up a gmail account :geek:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you mean that they are not getting the e-mail at all, or it is somehow finding it's way to an alternative e-mail they may have, but didn't expect to be used? For example, some might have already been registered with England Golf previously under a different e-mail address? Just thinking out loud

as reported to me by both players they were not getting the emails and the WHS system told them that the email had been sent to n*******4@mail.com and there seemed to be an error with the n*******4 part (either not enough characters or the last character was wrong). But its sorted now as per my post above. Seems like they took a shotgun approach to getting the issue resolved and contacted both myself and the Handicap Secretary and he sorted it before I saw the emails!!!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Check the system used by the club and the email on the WHS dashboard is correct and the user is using the same email. This will become a bigger issue when members change email acc and don't info anyone. Why doesn't everyone set up a gmail account :geek:

The email was correct when I checked it...but unbeknownst to me someone else had already corrected the error.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have incomplete playing records on WHS, seems all rounds for October have not been copied for my club from the CDH

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Have incomplete playing records on WHS, seems all rounds for October have not been copied for my club from the CDH

Thats as it should be.

The current data was a snapshot taken towards the end of September. The data will be updated on Sunday evening so you will see the scores submitted in October on players records on Monday.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Heads-Up if You Used Duplicate eMail Addresses to the EG Platform!

This received today - nothing like a veiled treat to get the blood pumping!

Dear Golf Club
Thank you for assisting in the transfer of member data to the WHS platform in preparation for launch on 2 November 2020.

The vast majority of clubs have engaged with the system as intended, and we know a lot of hard work has gone into collecting data where there have been gaps, and communicating with members about what the changes will mean for them.

The data on the platform shows that a number of members of your club are using the same email address. As you know, email address is one of the data points used by the system to identify a unique individual.

As a data controller we are obliged to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is accurate, and it would be irresponsible of us to process personal data which we know or reasonably believe to be inaccurate.

We are keen that no member is excluded from the system for lack of access to the internet, and of course the system accepts shared emails in recognition of the fact that parents of junior members may wish to provide their own email address, and some couples choose to share an email address. We are also aware that some “placeholder” information may have been entered for members where the data is not yet available, or clubs may have provided support to members in setting up an email address.
With that in mind would you please get in touch to let us know what action you are taking to provide accurate and up to date email addresses for all members as soon as possible so that we can continue to work together to ensure the integrity of the system for the benefit of all members.

Please note that we reserve the right to restrict access to the system in respect of any members appearing to have an inaccurate email address attached to their record.
If you or your members have any queries please do feel free to get in touch with the team via WHS2020@englandgolf.org.

Regards

Emily Green
Head of Legal
There will be thousands of these instances. Without member consent for data release, placeholders have been sent from clubs for email address and DOB

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a report that can be dragged off the DotGolf portal that allows club admins to see actually how many members have registered?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Great question. I was trying to find that the other day. No success

I mean...if it is so important for players to register then surely we can expect to get chasing emails from England Golf asking us to chase our members and get them to register?....or maybe registration isn't important after all? :unsure:

Swango1980

Visit site
Come Monday, do we know what methods can be used for players to find their Index. I'm just trying to think of those that haven't realised / bothered to register with WHS Platform, and comparing to what they do now. At the moment, once a golfer knows their handicap, they can be pretty sure it will stay the same for some time, as they'll know it will only go down after a great score, or they'll soon know when they are edging towards getting a shot back. With WHS, suprising changed can occur after each round, especially if you have no concept of your scoring history. So, my thoughts are:

• Through WHS Platform
  • Howdidido? I assume this will at least give Index, if not Scoring History? This is what a lot of competition players already are familiar with anyway
  • Apps / PSI. Apps are probably just howdidido anyway, but will specifically tell you your handicap index when signing in to a comp?
  • Paper copies at club (although I am thinking of discontinuing this as I suspect it will be pretty out of date very quickly after publishing, so it would need to be changed too often

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
  • Paper copies at club (although I am thinking of discontinuing this as I suspect it will be pretty out of date very quickly after publishing, so it would need to be changed too often
That is one thing that definitely goes.
There is no requirement for it in the new rules and it is only as good as the day it is printed.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Info that has just come through

Competition Scratch Score (CSS) and Mapping of Tees
We are happy to provide clubs with an immediate update on the questions of CSS and mapping of tees.

• All historical data regarding the CSS has now been successfully pulled from the old system and included on the new one

• Our team is currently working to refresh elements of the new system which deal with the mapping of tees and courses