Whs exceptional score

Swango1980

Visit site
This is also not true. If we take my analysis from #7 and instead of the highest counting SD being replaced, we say the lowest counting SD was the 20th; then it's entirely possible that this very exceptional score only resulted in a relatively small reduction in index (say 0.5) in addition to the automatic 2 stroke exceptional scoring reduction. An additional 2 stroke reduction would then be needed to reach the 4.5 reduction experienced by the OP.
Yes, without seeing the OP's scoring history, we can only guess what has gone on. The wording from the OP and the handicap sec indicated a double -2.0 adjustment, due to the extra manual adjustment. However, if the message has been lost in translation (which is easily done), it may be that the OP has correctly had only 1 ESR reduction. Without seeing his last 20 scores we are only guessing.

Pedromac

Visit site
Yes, without seeing the OP's scoring history, we can only guess what has gone on. The wording from the OP and the handicap sec indicated a double -2.0 adjustment, due to the extra manual adjustment. However, if the message has been lost in translation (which is easily done), it may be that the OP has correctly had only 1 ESR reduction. Without seeing his last 20 scores we are only guessing.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No I meant the handicap sec, it's not the keys to the nuclear codes, you don't all need to be in the room to press the button.

Then you are mistaken. The responsibility for ensuring that the administration of handicaps in a club is carried out correctly rests with the Committee not an individual. The authority to carry out actions in the management of players' handicaps is given to the Committee. And, by the way the button mustn't be pressed to alter a player's handicap without first informing him or her and giving them the opportunity to respond.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think OP needs to post a screenshot of handicap record, including the score that's dropped off. Lack of info is just leading to all sorts of guesses.
That may well be the situation here but it doesn't tally with your original claim that the h'cap sec could legitimately make a manual adjustment.

"It's neither, it's perfectly acceptable for a H'Cap Sec to make adjustments "

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That may well be the situation here but it doesn't tally with your original claim that the h'cap sec could legitimately make a manual adjustment.

"It's neither, it's perfectly acceptable for a H'Cap Sec to make adjustments "
Again, do you expect the whole handicap committee to be huddled round the phone, do you expect them to all have to "press the button". You can be as pedantic as you like, you're well aware of what was meant and are just trying to be a smartarse for some reason?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, do you expect the whole handicap committee to be huddled round the phone, do you expect them to all have to "press the button". You can be as pedantic as you like, you're well aware of what was meant and are just trying to be a smartarse for some reason?

The handicap committee should not be changing peoples handicaps on the fly, meetings every 6 or 12 months are sufficient. The new system is an average based one, let it do its work.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You implied that the h'cap sec could act independently. The rule is clear, he can't.
The individual committee members have to consider the player's record not just react to one score. They can easily do this on their own, they don't need a meeting.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The requirements are clearly set out in the WHS rulebook: changes to a handicap are to be made only after a thorough consideration of the evidence of the player’s performance over time by the committee and no change may be made before the player is informed and given a chance to respond. It’s there in the words and not going to change through your being offensive to those who try to inform you.

Over the years I’ve been contributing to this forum it has generally been a friendly and civil place. It would be really great if we could keep it that way.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And, by the way the button mustn't be pressed to alter a player's handicap without first informing him or her and giving them the opportunity to respond.

Ditto to this comment

Any adjustment to a player’s Handicap Index resulting from a handicap review
must:

l Be applied only after the player has been informed and has had an opportunity to
respond to the Handicap Committee or, where appropriate, the Authorized
Association.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You implied that the h'cap sec could act independently. The rule is clear, he can't.
The individual committee members have to consider the player's record not just react to one score. They can easily do this on their own, they don't need a meeting.
No, it was implied that he was the vehicle of delivery, and your final sentence is exactly what I've been saying about not all being in the room. Christ on a bike.

Would help if we got back on topic and Pedro posted his handicap adjustments for all to see and comment on with some authority, rather than guessing what he's meant and what's happened.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Are you saying that if the system hadn't made an ESR the h'cap should have made a manual reduction?
Yes, because it's there in black & white, if the back end hasn't done it's job then do it manually. Don't know what EG back end has been like, but the new one from SG has more bugs than the KGB, things not working right are generally the norm. (OK, taking this at face value, we don't know any back history which could sway things of course)

Pedromac

Visit site
No, it was implied that he was the vehicle of delivery, and your final sentence is exactly what I've been saying about not all being in the room. Christ on a bike.

Would help if we got back on topic and Pedro posted his handicap adjustments for all to see and comment on with some authority, rather than guessing what he's meant and what's happened.

Attachments

• 6A4C2BA6-0933-4434-8952-A922F59AB2F1.png
    6A4C2BA6-0933-4434-8952-A922F59AB2F1.png
    315.1 KB · Views: 40

Pedromac

Visit site
I did find this while looking at whs
World Handicap System (WHS) –
Exceptional Score Reductions
(Rule 5.9)
On occasions golfers can perform much better than their handicap would suggest. WHS has a safeguard built into the system known as an ‘Exceptional Score Reduction’.
Any exceptional score reduction is applied automatically by the system, as an additional adjustment and can be from general play and/or competition scores.
An automatic adjustment is triggered when a score differential is at least 7.0 – 9.9 strokes better than the player’s Handicap Index at the time the round was played. A -1.0 reduction would be applied to each of the most 20 recent scores in the handicap record.
A -2.0 reduction is applied when a score differential of 10 or greater has been calculated, with any -2.0 reductions being applied to all of the most recent 20 scores in the handicap record.
* Note – Multiple exceptional score reductions can be applied should the golfer have more than one score differential of 7.0 or greater. This would be shown as a cumulative value in the handicap record.

I think that explains it so I have appealed the handicap with the committee and am awaiting a response

IanMcC

Visit site
Can someone with access to EG dashboard look at Peter's full record, and report back, please. I only have full access to Wales Golf histories. I need full CDH number to look at Englandshire.
Clearly the -0.9 diff warrants a 2.0 ESR, but we need to see what was knocked out of the top 20, or access the full record, to ascertain if his M&H secretary intervened.

wjemather

Visit site
Ok, so your handicap record is a bit of a mess!!! It all starts with the +2.0 increase that was applied (in June, I think). It seems like manual reductions have since been applied (in addition to any automatic ESRs) in order to correct this instead of deleting it when it became apparent that it was not justified.

I'd probably suggest your handicap committee should start by removing all the manual adjustments they've made and just let the system do it's job. Doing a quick rough calculation, I think your index would be about 9-ish without the interference from bogus adjustments.