Whs exceptional score

Pedromac

Visit site
I’ve recently had my best round ever hitting a level par 72 off 11.4 handicap index with a playing handicap of 12
My handicap was reduced by England golf then the following day the club handicap sec reduced my score by another 2 strokes due to exceptional score
My handicap index is now 6.9
Is this excessive to loose 4 shots for one good round

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In addition to whatever effect the score had on your handicap index as one of your 8 counting rounds, if your score differential was 7 to 9.9 lower than your handicap index a 1 stroke reduction will have been applied automatically and if it was 10 or more strokes lower than your handicap index a 2 stroke reduction will have been applied automatically.

It would be worth asking your handicap secretary about this - in case, for instance, he thought he had to make the reduction manually. It doesn't seem right for the reduction to be double what the system is designed to apply.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Excellent round, well done.... you're now a single figure handicapper! If you shot level par, you're certainly capable of scoring better than 79 or 80 so the new index may not be too far away at all.

wjemather

Visit site
I’ve recently had my best round ever hitting a level par 72 off 11.4 handicap index with a playing handicap of 12
My handicap was reduced by England golf then the following day the club handicap sec reduced my score by another 2 strokes due to exceptional score
My handicap index is now 6.9
Is this excessive to loose 4 shots for one good round
This appears like a purely automatic reduction to me; i.e. your handicap sec has not done anything.

Making several (reasonable) assumptions about the course ratings and your handicap record... your new score probably has a score differential around 0/-1; this replaced your highest counting differential (probably around 14/15). This change would reduce your index by around 2. The automatic exceptional scoring reduction for being more than 10 better than handicap is 2, which gives you a total reduction of about 4.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
This appears like a purely automatic reduction to me; i.e. your handicap sec has not done anything.

Making several (reasonable) assumptions about the course ratings and your handicap record... your new score probably has a score differential around 0/-1; this replaced your highest counting differential (probably around 14/15). This change would reduce your index by around 2. The automatic exceptional scoring reduction for being more than 10 better than handicap is 2, which gives you a total reduction of about 4.

Does this now kick in on just one card?

IanMcC

Visit site
He was 12 under nett, absolutely it is, it's the whole point of exceptional scoring. He got cut by 2, not the whole score
He got cut from 11.4 down to 6.9. How on earth do you arrive at the figure 2? It is exactly situations like this that the ESR kicks in, so there should be no need for intervention from any Handicap Secretary.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
He got cut from 11.4 down to 6.9. How on earth do you arrive at the figure 2? It is exactly situations like this that the ESR kicks in, so there should be no need for intervention from any Handicap Secretary.
2 was the exceptional score reduction he says in his OP, and I imagine it was indeed the software rather than the H'Cap sec that did the intervening.

Swango1980

Visit site
Read it again. He said that the handicap secretary reduced his index by a further 2 strokes.
He may be mistaken by this, so it is worth clearing up. England Golf will have immediately told him what his new handicap index would be after entering his score (without the ESR). The following day, when PCC is known, the system may have automatically applied the ESR of an additional 2 shots, if his score was low enough. To him, it may appear that the handicap secretary did this because it occurred at a later point after the first reduction. However, it could simply have been the system doing this as per the WHS guidelines.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
He may be mistaken by this, so it is worth clearing up. England Golf will have immediately told him what his new handicap index would be after entering his score (without the ESR). The following day, when PCC is known, the system may have automatically applied the ESR of an additional 2 shots, if his score was low enough. To him, it may appear that the handicap secretary did this because it occurred at a later point after the first reduction. However, it could simply have been the system doing this as per the WHS guidelines.

Are you saying that in England, the system shows what your new handicap index is supposedly going to be immediately on entering a score although that may well not actually be what your new handicap index is going to be? What would be the point of that?

Swango1980

Visit site
Are you saying that in England, the system shows what your new handicap index is supposedly going to be immediately on entering a score although that may well not actually be what your new handicap index is going to be
Yes. Immediately after entering a score on the England Golf App, it refreshes your index assuming PCC is zero. It will update the following day if PCC changes (or presumably if you get an ESR)

I've already tried to get to the bottom of this, for example if I was to play a second round in the day, what handicap would I play off. Many have told me I should play off the index I started the day with, even though England Golf App has something different after the first round. To throw an extra spanner in the works, if you enter your score through the ISV (e.g. howdidido), the score is immediately sent to England Golf App, but it does NOT refresh the Index on the England Golf App until the following day.

So yes, the may the app works (MyEG), I suspect the ESR has occurred automatically the next day.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the OP's reference to England Golf having done whatever and then his h'cap sec having done something is confusing the issue.
I would guess (as has been suggested) the app (EG app) told him one thing before 'midnight' and then WHS via his ISV told him something new the following day.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you saying that in England, the system shows what your new handicap index is supposedly going to be immediately on entering a score although that may well not actually be what your new handicap index is going to be? What would be the point of that?
I'm guessing this only applies to the England Golf app. I don't think the other ISVs have got access to the WHS back data and number crunching algorithms.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes. Immediately after entering a score on the England Golf App, it refreshes your index assuming PCC is zero. It will update the following day if PCC changes (or presumably if you get an ESR)

I've already tried to get to the bottom of this, for example if I was to play a second round in the day, what handicap would I play off. Many have told me I should play off the index I started the day with, even though England Golf App has something different after the first round. To throw an extra spanner in the works, if you enter your score through the ISV (e.g. howdidido), the score is immediately sent to England Golf App, but it does NOT refresh the Index on the England Golf App until the following day.

So yes, the may the app works (MyEG), I suspect the ESR has occurred automatically the next day.

Thanks for the info. Up here in tartan land, I'm glad to say that there should be no confusion: the SG app does not show a recalculated index until the following day.