Who will be the first male tour player to come out gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree that having role models is a great thing and removing the stigma is a positive. And I pretty much agree with you.

On the flip side though, it would be weird if sport stars felt compelled to tell everyone they were straight all the time.
Or what if they had really weird fetishes? Like those people that fall in love with cars?

That's a facile argument though. Nobody ever has to come out as straight, that's the default assumption. The very need and purpose of coming out is to counter that assumption.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a facile argument though. Nobody ever has to come out as straight, that's the default assumption. The very need and purpose of coming out is to counter that assumption.
I get what he was saying though. If I was gay and a pro golfer I wouldn't make a big announcement about it because it's not relevant to anything.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It may not be relevant to how anyone plays the game, or whether theyd be welcome at each of our clubs. However, it is relevant in a wider sense. Golf takes tournaments and a lot of money from countries where homosexuality is illegal. The more players who come out, the better, IMO, as it helps to focus on the issue and, gradually, it will hopefully become irrelevant in both senses.

Although as FD says, nobody should feel forced to come out if they don't want to.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com

I get you and agree that people don't have to come out as being straight.
Maybe it was just because you said people should be more open about their sexuality. I'm not trying to nit-pick at all, I pretty much agree with what you've said.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get you and agree that people don't have to come out as being straight.
Maybe it was just because you said people should be more open about their sexuality. I'm not trying to nit-pick at all, I pretty much agree with what you've said.

It's maybe a subtle distinction but I think it would be good if people were more open about their sexuality rather than that they *should* be. It's up to each individual.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get what he was saying though. If I was gay and a pro golfer I wouldn't make a big announcement about it because it's not relevant to anything.

It's not about a big announcement, though, is it? It's just about being able to be open about who you are. It's about having your partner to meet you when you come off the 18th green after winning the open etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not about a big announcement, though, is it? It's just about being able to be open about who you are. It's about having your partner to meet you when you come off the 18th green after winning the open etc.
Well yeah I agree. It's just the topic starter mentions 'coming out' as if to make a big deal out of it. I'd rather as you say, if there are any players in same sex relationships, just don't feel like they need to hide it I guess.

You never know though, there might genuinely not be any gay men on the tour. Unlikely but not impossible.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Of course gay players aren't expected to wear an "I am gay" t-shirt or give a press conference anything like that. But if they bring a boyfriend or husband to an official event where other players bring their female partners, that would send the message just as clearly and they should be able to do that. No further explanation needed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I get the fact that sponsors may find openly gay golfer, especially a top player, hard to reconcile with their product. It seems the LPGA is more acceptable and aren't there some gay women already "out"? I hope all tours can find a way forward as golf is an inclusive sport as we know and we need to have role models of all persuasions

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The watershed moment will be when a gay player wins a Major, and their same sex partner rushes on to the green to congratulate them in the usual fashion.
Will the cameras pan away (especially if the coverage comes from the US)?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apparently, statistics state that 1 in 10 people are gay, therefore there must be a gay player on tour and at every golf club.
My own brother in law (wife's brother) is gay, who I love as a person. Indeed I've had a few nights out with him on the gay scene. So I would welcome anyone at my club who is gay. Furthermore I would go out of my way to make them feel welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.