Who will be the first male tour player to come out gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 18588

I heard that too. I do find it strange though that there is not even one in any of the clubs I've been members of. Although my current club there are a high number of lesbians.

Although all the posters seem open minded, golfers are often very traditional based on my experience so I'm not sure how they would react if there was "the only gay in the golf club"

How do you know there are no members who are gay?

Surely they do not have to declare their sexuality

It's just such a non-issue.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several gay members at our club (male and female). Makes no difference to anyone. Can't see why any high profile golfer should have an issue but there is such a stigma at that level that it's going to be hard to break barriers down

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well since so many high profile tournaments are held in countries where it's illegal to be gay it might be a bit of a problem. On the other hand it would highlight the issue, especially if it was a high profile player, and maybe force the tours into a bit of a rethink.

Personally, I think it'd be great if any and all gay players felt able to come out but it's a personal thing and I wouldn't blame anyone that didn't.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well since so many high profile tournaments are held in countries where it's illegal to be gay it might be a bit of a problem. .

Maybe would be a good thing then if a few players did 'come out'. Then the big tournaments, and with it the sponsorship money, could be taken away from such countries until they decide to join the rest of the 21st century

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
This is a question that shouldn't need to be asked as what difference does it make anyway? To me not a jot. I don't think it matters in golf anyway. Those in other sports have had to make the announcement more to be true to themselves I believe and the more that do it, the less of an issue it will be.
Football seems to be way behind in this subject though. It's so tribal that players are more worried about the reaction. Take someone like Cristiano Ronaldo who has rumours about his sexuality and gets chants and taunts aimed at him.
It's great it doesn't matter to anyone on here. Sadly not everyone is the same.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The golf ball doesn't know if you are gay, straight, male, female, black, white, 12 or 92

so why does it matter

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I don't think an openly gay tour player would run into many problems in the US or most of Europe, nowadays. There are lesbian players openly out on the LPGA and one of their majors, the ANA Inspiration (formerly Dinah Shore) has been a bit of a lesbian "spring break" destination for many years. I am not sure how a male gay player would be received in some countries where heterosexuality is still illegal, though. Maybe that's a concern for any potential closeted gay players on tour and the reason they don't want to publicly come out.

Now, a transgender player would certainly cause more of a debate. Transgender athletes always do. Does a transwoman have a physical advantage over her female co-competitors? From what point in her transformation onwards would she be elligible to compete in a ladies event? And vice versa, would the hormons a transman needs to take count as doping? I am sure we will get those constellations more and more in pretty much any sport and those issues will have to be addresed, if we want to be inclusive and allow transgender athletes to compete.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
While it is the 21st century and thankfully we on the forum don't care, unfortunately issues still exist within society. I'm thinking more along the lines of bullying at school, early adult life etc. rather than being accepted by other golfers.

If you look at Rugby and the response Nigel Owens and Gareth Thomas have received then the barriers are coming down. What they have done though is use their stature within sport to highlight the personal issues that being gay brings. Nigel Owens book and recent interviews really pushes these issues to the front of peoples minds and that can only be a good thing

It is sad that in this day and age this sort of action is still required but an opening gay golfer would help young kids realise being gay is "acceptable" if he or she is their sporting hero and an inspiration to them.

It's the same as mental health, the more positive publicity received the quicker the stigmas are removed

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I echo a lot of the responses on here. It doesn't matter to me one bit what the sexual preference is of another human being; whether I work with them, am related to them or watch them play sports on TV.

I think it's better if this all becomes a non-issue and people don't feel like they have to either hide it or specifically tell everyone about it.
It would be pretty weird if players had to hold press conferences to confirm they were straight.

I really liked the response by Martin Williams (and one other, but can't remember who) when Gareth Thomas told them he was gay.
Gareth was apparently worried about how people would re-act and whether he would be an outcast. That couldn't have been further from the truth. They gave him a massive hug and told him that the Welsh Rugby team is a band of brothers, no matter what.

In my honest opinion, it's often the narrow-minded that have an issue with sexuality.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think the point here is why is it such an issue for a gay person to come out in the world of tour golf than it is with any other sport? Its funny cos football seems to have this stigma as well but I cant think of any other sport that being gay seems to be an issue.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the point here is why is it such an issue for a gay person to come out in the world of tour golf than it is with any other sport? Its funny cos football seems to have this stigma as well but I cant think of any other sport that being gay seems to be an issue.

I don't think it's an issue for any particular sport but, in general, I believe the more high profile individuals are open about their sexuality the better. But it's a private matter so I don't feel anyone should be pressured to come out if they're not ready.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I don't think it's an issue for any particular sport but, in general, I believe the more high profile individuals are open about their sexuality the better. But it's a private matter so I don't feel anyone should be pressured to come out if they're not ready.

I agree that having role models is a great thing and removing the stigma is a positive. And I pretty much agree with you.

On the flip side though, it would be weird if sport stars felt compelled to tell everyone they were straight all the time.
Or what if they had really weird fetishes? Like those people that fall in love with cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.