who should be awarded the tie in this unplayed winter 4ball tie?

martin white

Visit site
Hi,

Our winter 4ball tie was to have been played by last weekend but due to a frozen course (course was open though) all parties agreed to ask the club for a one week extension to play the tie. The club agreed but the course was covered in snow yesterday and the tie could not be played and our opponents could not play today but the course was open for play today. In the event that the course does not allow us another extension of time to play the match how do we decide who wins the tie. We proposed a simple toss of the coin because it was our opponents who agreed to last weeks extension at our request and it seemed unfair to have them concede the tie because they couldn't play today. Our opponents however have refused our offer to toss a coin and have asked us to ask the tournament organisers to make a ruling. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Martin

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Difficult one!

The Tournament organisers might DQ both pairs, is this an internal club 4BBB or external. The rules will have been set out clearly from the start, worth reading them again.

P.S Welcome to the forum

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
welcome

there's no 'right answer' to your question; it's frequently the case that the most difficult situations can arise when both parties have both tried hard to play the tie despite difficulties.

one tip - before going to the organisers establish the earliest date on which you can play the tie, and go from there.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
welcome

there's no 'right answer' to your question; it's frequently the case that the most difficult situations can arise when both parties have both tried hard to play the tie despite difficulties.

one tip - before going to the organisers establish the earliest date on which you can play the tie, and go from there.

Defiantly go with what Duncan has said. You really need to have a date by when a winner will be sorted by what ever means and hope that the club accept it.

What you have to remember is though there are more rounds of your comp to be played and letting you have another extension will then impact of the next rounds getting played in time. You will probably find that your competition rules state that if the match is not played in the specified time frame then both parties may be disqualified.

One thing to think about is how long have you had to play the game and have you tried your best to arrange the game? Have you tried constantly to arrange the game and the other team have not been, then you need to put this to the competition organisers.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think both pairs should be DQ'd otherwise it is unfair on the people waiting to play you in the next round. Probably not the answer you want to hear but I think it's the fairest.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
hello and welcome.

im in the i think both pairs will end up being DQ'd unless as suggested a pre arranged date is available and even then you may require the committee to be are feeling leniant.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome to the forum

I would say that both pairs dq'd would be the most likely if one pair won't concede and the next pair get a walkover. If one pair can show that they were available and pushing the other pair to play without success, then the second pair could concede, but that sounds unlikely given what you have said.

My answer assumes that it's a 4bbb match play

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
fwiw I can see no basis for DQ both - at the worst I would just toss a coin and announce 'my decision' based on that, but have never actually had to do that in practice.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
fwiw I can see no basis for DQ both - at the worst I would just toss a coin and announce 'my decision' based on that, but have never actually had to do that in practice.

Some years ago I was in the other half of a draw in a foursomes comp where we played our semi final and won through and the other two pairs messed about and missed the closing date for the semi and the committee d/q'sd them all. It was unsatisfactory, as we won the comp without playing a final but the committee took the view that the others had taken the pee and allowing them to play would set a precedence in other comps as well

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
[h=2]2-4/21[/h][h=4]Wrong Form of Play Used to Decide Which Side Concedes Match[/h]Q.In a foursome match, the players are unable to arrange a date to play their match within the prescribed time limit for the round. As a result, the players agree to play a singles match between one player from each side in order to decide which side would concede the match in accordance with Rule 2-4. Is this permissible?
A.There is nothing in the Rules of Golf to prohibit players from agreeing to a method of determining which side will concede a match. However, in view of the intention of Rule 1-3 (Agreement to Waive Rules), if players agree to play a match other than in the form prescribed in the conditions of the competition in order to decide which side will concede, both sides should be disqualified under Rule 1-3 for agreeing to exclude the operation of a condition of competition (Rule 33-1).
If the players agree to use some other method which does not involve playing a match to determine which side will concede, such as a putting competition, tossing a coin, etc., they are not considered to be in breach of Rule 1-3.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi,

Our winter 4ball tie was to have been played by last weekend but due to a frozen course (course was open though) all parties agreed to ask the club for a one week extension to play the tie. The club agreed but the course was covered in snow yesterday and the tie could not be played and our opponents could not play today but the course was open for play today. In the event that the course does not allow us another extension of time to play the match how do we decide who wins the tie. We proposed a simple toss of the coin because it was our opponents who agreed to last weeks extension at our request and it seemed unfair to have them concede the tie because they couldn't play today. Our opponents however have refused our offer to toss a coin and have asked us to ask the tournament organisers to make a ruling. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Martin
To be honest if the course was open on the original date set - which was right at the limit of the play by date, the club or committee should not have agreed to an extension

DCB

Visit site
To be honest if the course was open on the original date set - which was right at the limit of the play by date, the club or committee should not have agreed to an extension

I'd agree with that. There must have been a reasonable timeframe for this round to be played. Leaving it to the last week is always a gamble. In this case, although frozen, the course was open, so an attempt should have been made to play the tie.

martin white

Visit site
Thanks to all of you for your comments. The club gave us a further extension of one week. We payed the tie and i'm glad to say my team won.

Best,