Pitching wedge up to 130 yards
A wedge up to 113 yards
Gap wedge up to 97 yards
Lob wedge up to 75 yards

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Interesting to see some of the lofts on modern irons. There is so much variation between one PW and another.
These are my Ping eye+ 2 lofts that I use

PW- 48.5
SW- 53
LW- 58

Ping did some re-jigging in the early days. Below are the lofts from the Eye 2 irons that preceded mine

PW- 50.5
SW- 57.5
LW- 61

Quite a marked difference really
Nice to see some clubs with sensible lofts!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting how people approach things in different ways. I would never think of using a 60° wedge around the green unless I needed to get the ball up & down quickly. Stan Utley, the short game wizard says get the ball on the ground as soon as possible.

My 60 is my most used club i'd say. I've been using it since I was a junior after watching Phil.

With my 60 I can get the ball on the ground ASAP with a low checker, Get my hand forward and play it like an 8 iron chip. Or bring out the hollywood flop. It's an incredibly versatile club as long as you have confidence with it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't care what the loft is. I've said it elsewhere it's about how far you hit the club with your swing and so if I hit a 46 degree PW 100 and someone else hits their one 115 so what? Know your own yardages and choose the clubs in your bag that help your game the most

D

Deleted member 15344

I have 4 wedges - PW then 50,54 and 58 degree

Use all of them for various different on differing lies and different distances

In winter take out the 58 and put in a 3mPH

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't care what the loft is. I've said it elsewhere it's about how far you hit the club with your swing and so if I hit a 46 degree PW 100 and someone else hits their one 115 so what? Know your own yardages and choose the clubs in your bag that help your game the most
Yes, but if you buy a matched set of irons, you would expect to be able to play the full range of shorter shots without having to buy extra wedges!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes, but if you buy a matched set of irons, you would expect to be able to play the full range of shorter shots without having to buy extra wedges!

Sorry! I have a gap wedge which I would have used in the 80's had they been widely available when I was using forged blades with higher lofts. I want the right tool for the shot and quite happy to play small shots and 1/2 or 3/4 swings with any club if necessary. Loft doesn't matter. It's knowing how far the club will hit it including these less than full shots.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting how people approach things in different ways. I would never think of using a 60° wedge around the green unless I needed to get the ball up & down quickly. Stan Utley, the short game wizard says get the ball on the ground as soon as possible.

Luke Donald the real short game wizard says in his videos he only uses a 60 around the greens.

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
I love having 4 wedges.
pw 44, gw 49, sw 55, lw 59
Easier to hit 4 full shots than manufacturing distances would be 1 reason.
115, 100, 80/85, 60/65 as full shots.
But mainly, I rely heavily on around the green short game and the options the sw/lw gives me along with my 8 and 9.
I am appappalling putting from the fringe.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've gone from 4 to 3 a few months ago.

The PW in my set is 46. My GW is 52, and I've swopped out the 56 and 60 for a 58.

This was to give me another club at the top end, something which everyone so far seems to think is a bad idea, but hey ho.

Not including my driver I have 3 clubs that will carry over 200yds.

The lack of confidence from knowing I have too much or not enough club when I have a long shot to a green makes me put some really bad swings on woods and hybrids.

I'm also liking the extra option it gives me off the tee.

Wedgey

Club Champion
Visit site
Yep, I have 4, 46 degree PW, then 50, 55, 60
altho the 60 gets rarely used I'd still keep it in my bag for those 1 or 2 shots a round.

Loft is your friend - use it :)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yep, I have 4, 46 degree PW, then 50, 55, 60
altho the 60 gets rarely used I'd still keep it in my bag for those 1 or 2 shots a round.

Loft is your friend - use it :)
I do, my 56* has 6* settings up and 6* down in one club :thup:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny how people get obsessive about endless clubs that go further, no gapping as the phrase goes, yet can't understand why you would want clubs that are required at the sharp end. Yes you can hit half or 3/4 shots but as I keep hearing that your score drops with a good short game then the more help you get there the better. Have 3 or 4 wedges and you can hit more full shots as well as having the option of taking some off them. Personally I have 49, 52 and 60 degree wedges, no 3, 4 or 5 iron, but I understand those who would throw a 56 in as well. Whatever your preference is.