Who needs four wedges?

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I don't get the concern about what other people carry if it helps them get the job done what's the problem? If I could buy a new bag of clubs I'd go for equal gapping
Driver
16 degree fairway
19 & 22 hybrid
26, 30, 34, 38, 42 degree lofts on my irons
46, 50, 54, 58 wedges

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Following on from the discussions about iron lofts gradually getting stronger there are comments about the need for more than three wedges. I don't see the need. For me the wedge is a tool of finesse & most of the shots played with it are less than full shots. If you wanted to cover the distance from, say, 120 yards in with clubs you could hit a full shot with you'd need considerably more than four. Personally, my 44° wedge is for all shots from around 100 yards in where there are no obstacles to go over & a lot of spin isn't required. The 50° wedge is for getting over obstacles & stopping the ball quickly, as is the 58°, which, with its 12° bounce, is also used as a sand wedge. What would I do with another one? As far as I'm concerned I don't hit the ball any higher than I need to. Added loft just makes control more difficult & I won't use the higher lofts if there's not a reason to.

Usually 4, can carry 3 have carried 5 . I agree its a tool of finesse and having 4 or 5 gives me more options when finessing.
A squad of clubs selected for courses and conditions to suit me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
47 (PW), 52, 56 and 60.
56 is high bounce for bunkers or maybe thickish rough, others low bounce as I'm a Sweeper/Slider

I also use 8, 7 and Rescue around green; rarely 9 as seem to foozle it too often, though that might change as the last 2 times I've sunk it! :rolleyes:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If someone scores better with 4 wedges than 3.... Wonder who has dropped a driver for a 3wood, or added an extra hybrid and dropped their 4 iron. You can carry a beautiful white porcelain bidet if it helps shave a shot or two off... it doesn't matter what you carry, only what you score.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I played today & thought I'd pay particular attention to when I hit wedge shots. I used all three more than once but never felt the need for another one with either more or less loft than the ones I have. I also used the 3 wood, hybrid & 3 iron so not sure, if I had 4 wedges, what I would leave out. I don't doubt that many people make use of all four (or five!) that they carry so I suppose that just proves that we're all different.

By the way, for everyone's information, I am not a short game wizard, my short game is my weakest area but I'm certain an extra wedge wouldn't bring any improvement. I need to learn how to use what I've got first & the last lesson I had did help a lot, I didn't have a single s***k today.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone write on the hozels their full and half swing yardages (ala Mark Crossfield)? Just done this on mine and helped a lot today one mt first practice round with em..

I've got a little bit of paper inside my bushnell case with my yardages
With what I hit each edge at different swings

I have 4 wedges 46 52 57 60