Which new driver?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't seem to see the question you are asking in the OP ? I don't believe the thread was started looking for what was best to do

The Poster was looking for opinions on drivers as there is prob someone on the forum who will play with the driver - whether he uses the answers to help him decide or go to the pro will be up to him but your posts don't help him - they just snipe at posters on here

WHY do you always sit on the fence and never answer anything,you know the correct answer but refuse to give it,the best driver is the one you have confidence in and that's it doesn't matter what make or model or how much it costs or what anyone else thinks,hope this helps the o.p.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
nothing wrong at all about asking about something that people have an opinion on,but to list a load of clubs your thinking of buying,then asking which is the best,your going to get as many opinions as there are clubs,no one is going to say i have xyz and its rubbish are they.
You seem to be missing my point,he didnt come on and say ,"i have been looking for a driver for some time and after spending hours at the shop hitting on the range or launch monitor i have found my perfect driver it was model A ----" then give us examples why it worked for him,my assumption was he knew which one he was going to buy but was just checking the snob value,i will ask you the same question as the others WHY do you use the clubs you do?
I totally get your point and you are talking total sense but it is only harmless discussion that some people like to partake in, and if ya don't like the subject no one is making you. And to answer your question I have chosen my clubs purely through trial and error and reading reviews so do value others opinions. Don't know if they are the best fit for me but I enjoy buying second hand clubs and if they don't work out they are moved on at a similar price therefore not costing me much. I could pay for a fitting and buy some new shinies but I am not a pro and cannot justify the outlay.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I totally get your point and you are talking total sense but it is only harmless discussion that some people like to partake in, and if ya don't like the subject no one is making you. And to answer your question I have chosen my clubs purely through trial and error and reading reviews so do value others opinions. Don't know if they are the best fit for me but I enjoy buying second hand clubs and if they don't work out they are moved on at a similar price therefore not costing me much. I could pay for a fitting and buy some new shinies but I am not a pro and cannot justify the outlay.
sensible approach to buying your clubs and i like your comment about not being a pro and buying new kit,i know its only banter but some on here dont understand that,and seem to have to have the best of everything and they tell you,whats the point of telling a newbie to go and buy everything brand new and custom fitted,learn the game if you like it buy better stuff,worked for 99% of golfers playing the game.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I bought mine I was all set to get the G30. I'd taken one out on the course from our pro and it was much longer than my old callaway driver. Then A pp bought the new 915 and I had a few hits and really liked it. So I found a fitter that stocked both and had a shoot between the 2. The 915 won as the larger choice in shafts really helped to get the club dialled in. The shafts in the Ping just didn't suit me.

I always felt Titleist made clubs for the better player so never really considered them. My point being go and try any that tickle your fancy but don't discount any as they could be the one!

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you to those of you that posted a sensible informative answer, the purpose of my post was to ask if the forum thought it would be worth my changing my driver for a newer model to gain some yards.
It was a little disapointing to see a few negative comments from some, but never mind.

Anyway, I have now had the time to go for a proper fitting & try out some drivers, the results were very interesting.
it turns out the my swing speeds is verging on me needing a stiff shaft, but as I am knocking on a bit now & I will get slower in the next few years, I will stick with a regular.
I tried out the following.
Ping G30
Taylormade SLDR
Callaway XR
Taylormade Aeroburner

The result was that I gained around about 10 - 15 yards with all of them except the Aeroburner, with which I gained around 20 yards.
Dispersion was good with all the clubs, but the tightest grouping was with the longest club, the Aeroburner.

So there it is.
The Aeroburner had the nicest flight as well.

D

Deleted member 15344

Did you get it then ?

If so welcome to the world of TaylorMade - No 1 Driver on Tour :D

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went to Bristol Golf Centre.
A superbly stocked golf superstore, with a multi bay range, a properly fitted out club fitting bay, with state of the art measuring facilities.

I was interested to see if it was worth me upgrading to the latest driver, after hitting a massive (for me) drive with my friends driver.
I think on reflection, I just caught that one shot right out the middle whilst giving it the beans.
I was pleasantly surprised, how tightly I grouped all the drives I hit with all the different drivers.
I was also surprised how little difference there was in terms of feel & distance with all the clubs, I felt as though I could have genuinely picked up any one of them & gone out & played a full round with full confidence in the driver.

The Aeroburner definitely felt a little lighter in weight & produced a slightly higher flight, but consistently gave me an extra 20 yards over my present driver & the grouping was very tight (just one slight fade)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, not bought one yet.
waiting for a good used one to pop up.
By then you will have a whole new range to consider!

I have to say that for the sort of improvements you indicate it would be a complete no brainer (but accept that not everyone's finances make such decisions simple). I've never paid more than £150 for any club (and that was a SLDRMINI on a deal) and only got the SLDR ex demo atb £136 - but neither of these were fuelled by those sort of improvements!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another bristol based forummer!

Where do you play your golf wooky?

I was up at bristol golf centre tonight, was a bit of a surprise when American Golf took it over a couple of weeks back, came a bit out of the blue. I can see why they wanted it though as it knocks their other store into a cocked hat.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I love my Covert.
It feels nice and light compared to others I have hit, and the hollow bottom makes a nice swishing sound on your practice swing.
Gives you a nice feeling of what you should be doing at impact (getting right through the ball).