Which new driver?

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was out with a mate the other day.
He had a new driver (Taylormade SLDR)
I had a bash with it & wow, it went miles.
I usually use a Ping G20 (12 degree)
It hit it pretty well (straight (ish) & about 230 yards.
But, I hit the SLDR 40 yards past my normal distance & with masses more height.
So, it got me thinking, maybe I need a new driver?
So which one?
Ping G30
Callaway Alfa 815
Taylormade SLDR
Taylormade R15
Any others?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So which one?
Ping G30
Callaway Alfa 815
Taylormade SLDR
Taylormade R15
Any others?

Well if you really like the SLDR why don't you get a Titleist?

No, I meant a SLDR.

D

Deleted member 15344

So which one?
Ping G30
Callaway Alfa 815
Taylormade SLDR
Taylormade R15
Any others?

Answer in bold :D

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
So which one?
Ping G30
Callaway Alfa 815
Taylormade SLDR
Taylormade R15
Any others?

Due to the fact you say youhit to so well you need to buy a SLDR. Also your can get some good deals on them since the R15 came out.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have you had a bash with a Nike Vapor?
I've never been a big fan of Nike golf clubs, but part of the reason I am loving my golf again is my "new to me" Nike Covert 2.0 VRS driver.
I absolutely love it, and am most probably hitting some of the best drives I've ever hit at the moment.
I've certainly got my mojo back and have so much confidence with it.
If you were looking for a used driver I would advise you to have a look at one of them, but as you are looking at brand new, the Vapor has surely got to be worth a try?
You may well be surprised.

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
When you say you had a bash with the SLDR did you just hit it the once?

It might be that you just connected with it right and it went further than your normal hit. Best to give it quite a few hits before deciding as this might have been a one off. Honeymoons with drivers are sometimes short and sweet, believe me, I've been there.;)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Callaway XR - tried this twice this week, was adding 40 - 60 yds to my Ping G15 distances and keeping a tighter, straighter dispersion. Definitely looking to move this way myself

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The SLDR in exactly the same spec would seem to be an excellent starting point in your quest.
In comparing others it may not be right to assume that you should have the same spec, or shaft, in that one though.

G30, XR or 915d2 are obviously worth trying, as is a Vapor, but you are most likely to be able to get the SLDR for the least dosh (I paid 136 for mine ex demo via eBay a few months ago).

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the grand tradition of recommending what you yourself have... I recently got fitted for a 915d2 and am VERY happy with it. Coming from an r15.
If you are buying new, current model clubs then you should get properly fitted by someone with a launch monitor and a range of heads in different lofts, and shafts. This bit is more important than which brand tbh.
Or pick up a SLDR for a song as by are now cheap, like the budgie.

I went to Celtic manor for my fitting and I would say the peace of mind on the course that knowing what you have is right for you is money well spent. I have been ho'ing off the shelf clubs (particularly drivers) for a while now, I realise I was just chucking money away. My bag is now set (except for putters! ;) ) for a long time, which should save me money in the long run.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
do what most do on here,buy the most expensive,with a one off custom shaft and a grip made from some exotic animal skin,brag about it for a few weeks before posting how your mates driver is better and putting yours on flea-bay at less than half what you paid.
why not go to a shop try some different ones and buy the one that suits you WHY bother what others think.
i was speaking to a few forum members at their course and they said how this type of post had stopped them coming on as often as they did,and now just phone each other up to arrange games.
i got called a snob,but isnt this a snobbish post like most we seem to be getting lately,just a thought.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
do what most do on here,buy the most expensive,with a one off custom shaft and a grip made from some exotic animal skin,brag about it for a few weeks before posting how your mates driver is better and putting yours on flea-bay at less than half what you paid.
why not go to a shop try some different ones and buy the one that suits you WHY bother what others think.
i was speaking to a few forum members at their course and they said how this type of post had stopped them coming on as often as they did,and now just phone each other up to arrange games.
i got called a snob,but isnt this a snobbish post like most we seem to be getting lately,just a thought.

Try smiling for a day- does wonders for your mood.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Or buy the one described above at a very good price off of ebay
;)

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try smiling for a day- does wonders for your mood.
my mood is ok,whats the point of listing a dozen clubs,then asking a forum the one they think is the best irrespective of if it suits you or not,please tell me the point if not to be seen to be looking at spending big dosh,thus trying to impress someone.
Is my comment about trying them out in the flesh and picking the best one for himself irrespective of the cost a valid comment,would he be posting about the bargain bin driver that he hits with consistency,or would he just by the most expensive one anyway,needless post in my opinion,and as i said typical of a lot of posts on the forum lately.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
my mood is ok,whats the point of listing a dozen clubs,then asking a forum the one they think is the best irrespective of if it suits you or not,please tell me the point if not to be seen to be looking at spending big dosh,thus trying to impress someone.
Is my comment about trying them out in the flesh and picking the best one for himself irrespective of the cost a valid comment,would he be posting about the bargain bin driver that he hits with consistency,or would he just by the most expensive one anyway,needless post in my opinion,and as i said typical of a lot of posts on the forum lately.

Short of prescribing what posts are allowed on the forum, perhaps you shouldn't open threads which have no interest to you?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Short of prescribing what posts are allowed on the forum, perhaps you shouldn't open threads which have no interest to you?
how would i know if they interest me or not without opening them !!!!!!! my point is some post just for the sake of posting,as im on what colour slacks should i wear tomorrow so as not to clash with my pp who i dont know what he will be wearing ??