Which irons for 14 h'capper aiming for single figures this year?

ianmccombie

Visit site
Guys
Am 13.6, working hard on game with (excellent) club pro to get down to single figures, how about R11 irons or are the i20s worth the wait? i love my R11 driver and fancy Taylor Mades, but think the Tour Preferred CBs might be better. Anyone got a view?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Go to a range, hit as many demos as you like, find one that feels good and performa well then go get custom fitted properly.

Job done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Found out the hard way it isn't the club - its the muppet holding them. Simple answer is any of them if you swing properly. I like the TM clubs but equally the Mizzy, I15, Cleveland CG16 Tour (very underated club), RAZR Tour or even something a bit chunkier like the R11 will do the job. Its how you use them

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Homer says its the muppet holding them. Just use what you like not what someone else likes. Having said that I have the taylormade TP CB's. Great clubs nice and smallish, forged face but very forgiving. Look very blade like at address. To me they are the best of both worlds. Why make the game harder?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I like the TM clubs but equally the Mizzy, I15, Cleveland CG16 Tour (very underated club), RAZR Tour or even something a bit chunkier like the R11 will do the job.

^
^
^

See.... he's not fussy! He can hit 'em all bad :rofl:

(it's a JOKE Homer, I know you're doing well right now and in a happier place!!) :thup:

A

Alex1975

All has been said RE: trying them, not the club the player, get fitted. If I had your handicap and the intent to get it lower I would be looking at Mizuno MP-53, 59, 63.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me its the Titleist AP2 because this time last year I was pretty much at the same point as you and now just on the brink of single figures.

There are many good sets out there but I can only speak for the AP2.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Personally, I would take a long hard look at the new i20's. They look a superb club and if they play anything like the i15's that went before they would suit you all the way down to low single figures. And the nice thing about Ping clubs is that if you look after them and decide to sell them on at some future date, they hold their value better than most. I've just changed my i15's to Cobra S3's as I wanted to go back to graphite shafts...and as much as I liked the sound of the 20's I couldn't stretch to the money they would be asking for graphite. I would have no hesitation in recommending Ping irons.

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This may sound daft but why can't you get down to single figures playing the irons you are using? I know plenty of single figures who use cavity back game improvers.Truth be told it's the short game that will get you lower,learn to chip and putt.I hit my irons as well as these guys but they are demons round and on the green

ianmccombie

Visit site
Guys

All great advice, thanks! Got to get my own game sorted, then, work on the short game, and not think new clubs are the answer. Yep, I see that. I guess I'm looking for a motivator, a club that looks the business and helps my game by sounding good, nice flight, and doesn't punish me when I get it a bit (or a lot) wrong. Will look around this weekend and let you know. Thanks again! Have good games this weekend, and let's hope we're not all snowed off on Sunday.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I would stick to CB's until you confident enough to believe your ball sticking is good enough to go better. At the moment MB's for me are out of my equation until I feel much more confident.....and I don't actually think I've been hindered at all so far.

Of course everyone needs a dose of shinny club syndrome occasionally :)