Which Golf

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I take it she dosnt watch the news then ,with the diesel scandal.
The golf is a great choice but is a bit silly to rule everything else out.
But who can fathom them, if that’s what she wants

I am brand loyal myself but as I said a bit disappointed with the t roc.

Other than clearly not reflecting well on VW - what aspect of the scandal should I (and she) be aware of. I get that the cost they have incurred as a result may well have led to manufacturing cost-cutting - is that what you mean?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Other than clearly not reflecting well on VW - what aspect of the scandal should I (and she) be aware of. I get that the cost they have incurred as a result may well have led to manufacturing cost-cutting - is that what you mean?
I would say the VW I knew produced honest, reliable cars. By creating the fuel for the whole anti diesel lobby VW has lost every ounce of that honest and reliable badge for me they had. They lied and cheated us all.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would not by a VW diesel after they took us all for a ride.
It’s these models you will be looking at 2/3 yrs old.
Have they told us the whole story or just what they were forced to?
Brand loyalty is good if the product is good but VW has slipped back imo .
I still think there’s more scandal to come out about the whole car industry.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wasn't just Volkswagen though, was it. They were pretty much all at it.

Ref the OP, if she wants a golf, then get her a golf. Any thing else, and if there is the slighest issue, it will be your fault, and every thing would have been ok, if you had got her a golf.
Probably true on both counts,even if I think that VW were the worst ones.
For an easy life, let her have what she wants:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so I can close off this question as last weekend we took the plunge and bought a new (yes I know - depreciation etc ) VW Golf 1.5 TSI EVO 150 Match 5dr.

And in the end we bought it because Mrs Hogan has always wanted a new Golf. For as long as she can remember she had decided she could put up with all hassle of being a nurse because one day her nurse's pension would enable her to have a new Golf.

She was also persuaded to take an automatic out for a test drive even though she'd never driven an automatic before - it was so easy - she loved it. And the dealership gave us a PCP financing package that fitted well with our budget for deposit and monthly payment. And when I finish in a year or two time we'll buy it outright and we will run with it for as long as long is...

And it is a very nice car indeed. Just what we are looking for.

Hitdaball

Visit site
Get her a low mileage 3 yr old Kia Ceed and be covered under full warranty for another 4 years. Saved me £2.5k repair costs a few months back when the wife’s 6yr old Sorrento had an impellor shatter in the fuel system.

Skoda are the best VW cars at the moment for value, and whilst it’s subjective my 280bhp Superb is also just “better “ overall than any Passat or Audi outside of RS/S models, if you can get over the badge.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Get her a low mileage 3 yr old Kia Ceed and be covered under full warranty for another 4 years. Saved me £2.5k repair costs a few months back when the wife’s 6yr old Sorrento had an impellor shatter in the fuel system.

Skoda are the best VW cars at the moment for value, and whilst it’s subjective my 280bhp Superb is also just “better “ overall than any Passat or Audi outside of RS/S models, if you can get over the badge.

Too late - Golf bought. Just as it was always going to be with my other half.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And so I can close off this question as last weekend we took the plunge and bought a new (yes I know - depreciation etc ) VW Golf 1.5 TSI EVO 150 Match 5dr.

And in the end we bought it because Mrs Hogan has always wanted a new Golf. For as long as she can remember she had decided she could put up with all hassle of being a nurse because one day her nurse's pension would enable her to have a new Golf.

She was also persuaded to take an automatic out for a test drive even though she'd never driven an automatic before - it was so easy - she loved it. And the dealership gave us a PCP financing package that fitted well with our budget for deposit and monthly payment. And when I finish in a year or two time we'll buy it outright and we will run with it for as long as long is...

And it is a very nice car indeed. Just what we are looking for.
That’s the exact model I had.
My daughter has it now and loves it.
It’s a very nice car and a good choice.