Which course?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

I have a significant birthday next year and thinking about saving up to play a bucket list course.
Which course would you choose? Obviously it has to be one that us plebs have access to. Currently thinking of Pebble Beach.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
img-1541771379-1074-23680-p-54D39073-DE96-2B88-2A74785641153C92-2544003__CropResizeWzYwMCwzMzgsNTAsImpwZyJd.jpg

Cape Kidnappers, New Zealand

pinnacle-point-golf-club-10-xl.jpg

Pinnacle Point South Africa

D

Deleted Member 1156

Good shout re Sawgrass. RM has been on my radar for years along with CK but so expensive to get down there.
Played PP, what a course that is!

Wolf

Visit site
I think it definetly for me would be Pebble Beach with maybe a trip along the coast there and chance to maybe play some other courses in the Monterray peninsular. The other options definitely Sawgrass for me as well with maybe a trip over to the Amelia Island resort for a game and stay to

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cyprus Point would be my money no object foreign choice. Disregarding the obvious more famous US courses (anyone that would decline playing Augusta is mental)

If only to play the 16th

Jaw dropper

D

Deleted member 1147

Cyprus Point would be my money no object foreign choice. Disregarding the obvious more famous US courses (anyone that would decline playing Augusta is mental)

If only to play the 16th

Jaw dropper
They're both tough to get on for the average man - need to know the right people for those two

D

Deleted member 21258

Am restricted to fairly local travelling due to wife, think I would pick Old Head in Ireland if I won it as a prize(wouldn't expect anyone to ever pay that much on behalf of me to play it, as its silly money):cry:.

If I am paying then it would be Swinley Forest, as not had the chance to play it and from the pictures it looks like Sunningdale and pretty. One day I hope to.....

Which big one is it, 60 :)

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For what you'd pay to stay at Pebble to get a chance at a tee, you probably could do Royal Melbourne. TBH, both are on my hit list and at least with Pebble, you could do San Fran down the coast to LA as well, carry on down and try to get a knock at Torrey Pines as well.

If you are mainly looking US then as well as Sawgrass, you could throw in Pinehurst, Kiawah Island, Bandon Dunes, Bethpage black or Streamsong into the mix.

D

Deleted member 15344

Good shout re Sawgrass. RM has been on my radar for years along with CK but so expensive to get down there.
Played PP, what a course that is!
You would be disappointed with Sawgrass - if you are going to the US you could pick many far better including Peeble Beach. Sawgrass is IMO overrated

D

Deleted member 15344

If we have seen it on tv and really like it then why would it disappoint? The conditioning is going to be 1st class so I am not sure of your thinking?
Because it is your a typical stadium course , I came away from it disappointed , nice condition , a couple a decent holes , an island hole but didn’t have the wow factor you can get with places like Sunningdale or links courses
Gordon

How about Morfontaine ?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Away: Streamsong (3 top courses) or Wolf Creek (check one of the last Crossfields videos).

Home: depends what you have played already... Queenwood if you find a way in :) Ailsa, Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns would be my options.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played Sawgrass in 2008.... stayed at the Marriott on site, 2 rounds on each course.. Great place to play. Got a great deal off Lotus Supertravel.... I really liked it, too much focus on 16 and 17....plenty of other holes to keep your attention. New clubhouse and set up certainly has a wow abou ....but the bonus was visiting a great part of Fla that most uk visitors don’t get to. Ponte Vedre and St Augustine are super.

Not played Pebble, but on my list of places to go...

South Africa is great too...

But , what month are you going?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not to detract from one of my home country's great courses, but there are several other similar quality (and priced) examples that MIGHT warrant the huge distance. Personally, I'd be inclined to stop a little earlier - in Melbourne - and experience the 'sand belt' on offer there!

However, closer to home, Le Golf National would be high on my list.

I have T-Shirts from a couple of top US courses (Baltusrol and Pine Valley) but that's only from buying them from a 'mate' (and twice Presidents Putter winner) who took a load of 15-16yos on an incredible tour around some great US courses - and hosted a return trip around some great UK ones the following year. Pine Valley was his pick as the best, with, from memory, Baltusrol pretty close. If you are in that neck of the woods, Beth Page is not all that far either! A bit of variety from boring(?!) links?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Personally I would go to a course, where you can also play with three mates. Company just as important as the course in my eyes.

I played Coombe Hill on my big birthday, and whilst not the best course around, the company was top notch. Seeing a member get a hole in one, after letting him through, and getting a bottle of champagne off him added to the day !.

Somewhere like Bearwood Lakes or Swinley ?