Which Brand Has Dropped The Furthest

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Crew Clothing

Used to be a label of choice of Rugger- Buggers and Rowing Types. Now on permanent sale at discounts and poor quality.

Next. Big 80s brand.... now nearly invisible
not in Chippenham - virtually the only clothes shop in town, especially for men. 75% of my wardrobe is Next! :oops:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After Watching club cricket over the past few years then yes
I thought you meant golf clubs, some people call them bats ?. Okay, I'm out of the cricketing world now so I don't see what happens at club level any more. Fair play if they still make, or sell, quality bats still. How the rest of their gear is pitched at SD however...................

phillarrow

Visit site
Sony for music.
Once upon a time they absolutely dominated mobile music devices with the original Walkman. When the ipod came out, they launched an updated Walkman based on downloaded music. I was convinced they would wipe the floor with Apple so I bought a Walkman instead of an ipod. I was wrong. ?

Sega and Nintendo being totally usurped by Xbox and PlayStation was a bit of a surprise too.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Wilson. it's not even close. They used to dominate, now they are nowhere.
They still dominate Tennis and Basketball.
With revenue of nearly half a billion, they are still a sizeable company, though nowhere near Nike, with revenue of nearly 40Bn (down 38% in 2020) or Adidas's nearly 25Bn (down 16% in 2020).
Remember, the biggest of those brand (Nike) actually pulled out of the Golf equipment market - because, for 20 years, that area of the business always made a loss!

greenone

Visit site
I’d say it’s lower/mid range from what I’ve seen from other manufacturers
Depends if you want a big name on the sticker. You can still get a very good bat for that money if you go to a small independent maker and not one of the bigger names where you are paying for the pros bats.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Depends if you want a big name on the sticker. You can still get a very good bat for that money if you go to a small independent maker and not one of the bigger names where you are paying for the pros bats.

I always got my bats handmade from the likes of Charlie French, Kippax and Warsop Stebbing
WS actually made all of nasser Husseins bats but he just put GN stickers on them

RichA

Visit site
The why did you sell it thread got me thinking with the posts about MG now being simply awful. So, which Brand has dropped the furthest from it's peak. From high end electrical names becoming cheap supermarket own label products to golf brands being bargain bucket box store fillers, which formerly top name brand has plummeted to the lowest depths.
Raleigh. Once the pride of Nottingham and one of the most famous names in bicycle manufacturing. Now the cycling equivalent of MG.

RichA

Visit site
£350 is an average bat these days.
My last bat was a GM that cost about £90 and gave 5 years of service before I retired from cricket. I could never tell the difference between a GM cheapie and my mates' £600 Willostix, but the strike pattern below will tell you that I was in the team for my bowling rather than my batting. ?

8EDB9876-85AF-44B2-8E33-81D842196E81.jpeg

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
My last bat was a GM that cost about £90 and gave 5 years of service before I retired from cricket. I could never tell the difference between a GM cheapie and my mates' £600 Willostix, but the strike pattern below will tell you that I was in the team for my bowling rather than my batting. ?

View attachment 42275
Those edges have seen some action

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Ah I have so many - especially fashion.

Von Dutch, Ecko, Rocawear, Nickelson, Abercrombie & Fitch, G-Shock and Casio watches.

Even all the surfing brands that were cool in the 2000's have died. Rip Curl, Billabong, Quiksilver etc

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My old company ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries). Once an FT100 company, offices all over the globe, one of the major chemical companies in the world and disappeared off the face of the map due to bad management. Some of the businesses still exist (Chlor-Alkali to Ineos, Paints to Akzo Nobel, Pharamecuticals to Astra Zeneca for example) but so sad to see.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My old company ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries). Once an FT100 company, offices all over the globe, one of the major chemical companies in the world and disappeared off the face of the map due to bad management. Some of the businesses still exist (Chlor-Alkali to Ineos, Paints to Akzo Nobel, Pharamecuticals to Astra Zeneca for example) but so sad to see.
That's a great shout. I remember them as being massive, my uncle worked for them in their Winnington Park plant, I think I've remembered the name correctly. A company you couldn't imagine not being around.