Which Ball??

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
With a swing speed of 82 mph and clubhead speed of about 115 mph and a low launch angle I am not hitting the ball big!!!

Say 185 ish carry and some roll... (210-220)

I am looking for a golf ball that is going to give me good distance without loss of too much control. Would like to get a good launch too...?

Any suggestions?

I have been considering the Nike Karma ball, Nike Platinum, Callaway HX Hot Bite and Pro V1. Is anyone similar to me and has experience with any of these???

Cheers in advance...

P.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plantie

Where do you play? What driver have you got at the moment as it may be that the shaft or loft isn't suited to your game. Which is your current ball of preference?

If everything equipment wise is ok and your swing has no major flaws the best ball I can recommend is the Srixon AD333 which is fairly long off the tee but still responsive around the greens

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
sorry for any confusion there... my launch angle and distance is not about the ball thats my swing! but I want to get the most appropriate ball too play with...

there is no point me having a rock hard ball as I will get no compression and in effect just slap it... which is what I want to avoid...

So really just trying to find a ball that I can get the most out of...?

I was hoping that someone similar may have been through a similar process..! :)

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Homer,

Driver wise I have a tour burner with 10.5 loft and reg 55 gram shaft. Clubs are AP1's.

My ball flight goes up and comes down as opposed to going up floating and then coming down. I want to get a ball that I can compress and that flies well this will hopefully if I am thinking right carry a bit further for me...

Where do I play... well all over at the moment as not sure whether to go for membership again! but I am an ex member or Goring & Streatley.

P.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Maxfli noodle or Nike Distance Soft would probably be a good ball for you.

I would suggest if you can, getting hold of somebodys driver with a 12* loft to see how you get on as I reckon that this may be where the distance problem lies.

If you can hit AP1's you are certainly no mug when it comes to technique so give that a try I would say.

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Jon,

Hadn't considered those balls..!!

Re distance it is not only driver dependant... Used to have a 12 degrees driver and my current one does go further... My driver, 3 wood and utility 3 probably carry about the same length... only 15yrds in it but the driver will run much further..

Sadly I'm just not a long hitter... Just boring down the middle kinda guy...

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
these days... 15 ish as only just started back up again... need to play a bit more to regain consistency and eradicate the odd 7!....

Was of 7 many moons ago!! lol

I'll check out that ball Homer.

P.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wilson Staff Px3, Homer, I am going to try my best to make you play a hole with one of these tomorrow
ow as I think they are great.

B

birdieman

Can't go wrong with ProV1's - it is actually a low compression ball so suited to slower swings as well as faster ones. Can't beat it in terms of control, downside is it's pricey, saying that I seem to find more than I lose! :D
I'm trying the Srixon Z-URC at the mo, behaves similarly to ProV1 but doesn't feel quite as soft off greenside chips/putts.
A lot of people on here will argue this point but I think you get what you pay for in terms of balls. You don't have to be a good golfer to hit decent approach shots with short irons, if you don't play a ball with a soft cover you will not stop the ball as quickly = more shots as you chip back on. I'm sorry to all the AD333 etc fans who play the £15/dozen balls but that is fact!
If you want to score better play a better ball! :cool:

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try the Titleist PTS Carry, they could suit you well. To be honest though if you are not over worried about budget buy Pro V1s you really can't beat them. Birdieman is right in that respect it doesn't matter what your handicap is you will appreciate a Pro V, and off 15 you could definitely justify them. The Srixon Ad333, Wilson Staff PX3 and Titleist NXT Tour are also all worth a try in my opinion.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
IMHO, I would recommend the AD333 cos it does stop OK when asked (note OK as a ball with a softer cover is better than OK) but as a decent ball at £17 per dozen (our pro shop) it's one I can afford to lose. And if you don't lose them they don't scuff up too quickly.

Incidentally, all this rain has kept our greens from concreting over but if we (ever) get another dry spell I will try a Z-URS or a ProV1, perhaps.