Which ball?

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First post (and it's a question) so be patient!!

I'm a high handicapper (28) and still relatively new to the game in my mind (2.5 years).

Im using the same set of clubs that I've had for about 2 years but I tend to play the golf balls that I find! I don't use balls on the course that are really badly mashed up on the surface but I'm starting to think playing the same type of ball for a while might help get that utopia called 'consistency'.

I managed to get 14 Stableford points over 9 holes today even with two 8s and a 9 on the card! So I know I can strike the ball well, I just can do this repetitively!

So, should I buy some new golf balls? Will they help?
If yes, then I'm thinking Warbird Plus or Big Bertha, but which?
And finally, what do I then do with what I find on the course?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It really comes down to budget and how many you are losing per round. In this weather most balls will stop on the greens if hit properly but once the course dry out, some brands (Pinnacle Top Flite) will definitely be harder to stop. However they are amongst the cheaper end. Personally if I wasn't losing too many per round I'd look at the AD333, Srison Trispeed or the NXT by Titleist.

Check out this website which might help and which is pretty competitive pricewise. http://www.best4balls.com/

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just enjoy yourself, and play with anything reasonable. At this stage in golf, it isn't the ball.

Agreed. Buy what you like the look of BUT no rocks and no balatas. If you want to play with the same ball all the time, choose something that's not too expensive.

I like Callaway Diablos and AD333 and Wilson Staff Dx2 and Titleist PTS. These would all be fine for you, unless you lose lots!!!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm a high handicapper (28) and still relatively new to the game in my mind (2.5 years).

If I were you, I wouldn't be worrying about the ball, it's your swing that needs help.
Have you had any lessons?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are looking for value for money look no further than the Precept EV Spin, £15 for 15 balls.

What other double major winning golf ball goes for that sort of money?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go mid range. Srixon soft feel, or Wilson dx2 soft both good balls for the money and with online golf knocking out the Wilsons at a great £10.00 per doz at the moment.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
Naah, It's gotta be the Srixon AD333.
There's a reason that they are the best selling 2 piece ball in the world.
They're reasonably priced at 15 quid, and they are the closest in quality of feel and distance before you step up to the Pro V1's or Z's.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi and welcome,i personally wouldnt worry about what ball your playing at this time as long as there round and in good condition,but after two years playing you should be lower than a 28 handicapper get yourself lessons or get on the practice round and start working on your game if thats what you want,i think you need to decide if you want to improve or carry on getting 8+9s no good on any card.

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
m8,i would say you want to play with the same type every round, the type is not so important, but you want the same "feel" every shot. even if it just gives you the "placebo" effect of using the same ball, if it gives you an extra 10% upstairs(the biggest part of this mad game), then go for it.

s1john

Club Champion
Visit site
As a fellow 28 capper, I would agree with people that it doesn't really matter which ball, But i do prefer using the AD333s cant really say why just feel more confident while using them. Probably just a mental thing

painterboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As othe posters say, it probably doesn't matter at this stage.
Carry on using balls that you find ( I did for a few years,and even now will use a 'good' found ball),but suggest you sort them out into soft feel and hard feel, to a least get some consistancy off the club face.
You can use the soft feel when the course dries out,and the hard in the winter months.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks everyone - yes I've had lessons over the last 2 years. There is just so much to get right!!

I think I've hit some good scores on some holes over time - couple of net birdies and plenty of pars even on the hardest holes. And I'm certainly getting better!

I'll take some of your advice and sort the huge bag in my garage and try to play the same ball on a round. My losses vary - last round lost about 4 over a 9 hole course - time before played the same course using only 1 ball!! (So, buying might get expensive!)

Visit site
hi, i work at a golf shop and we get loads and loads of people coming in that are in the same boat as you. It's nice to see a high caped player that has not fallen into the pro v1 trap for once. im currently off 11, so not really low but good enough to see the difference between one ball against another, and i have tried pro v1 many times however i have always varied between noodle balls by maxfli or now taylormade and the wilson dx2. i have used them since i was off 26 and wont change anytime soon. both balls are great for all seasons and offer a very soft feel and are not to harsh on the odd off centre hits. there great for what i imagine your needs would be and also dont break the bank :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
.... and the wilson dx2. i have used them since i was off 26 and wont change anytime soon. both balls are great for all seasons and offer a very soft feel and are not to harsh on the odd off centre hits. there great for what i imagine your needs would be and also dont break the bank :D

You get your Dx2s from American Golf?

Small world! :)

Welcome Josh.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find it hard to believe. An AG salesman not trying to flog what they think the customer wants. Why must I always be pushed towards Hogan, Wilson, Nicklaus or Yonex. I know that'll be because they are AG's biggest profit margins. I've been playing for over 30 years and I know what I want so why must their sales staff ignore what I want to demo and push what they think best. Same with golf balls. If I wanted to play NXT or DX2 I'd ask for them so don't try and flog them when I'm looking for Cally Tour i(x)

And to think I was about to sign the dotted line and work instore for them.

Rant over - relax breathe and count to 10

Visit site
yeh i see exactly where your coming from it bugs me and i work there. to be honest ill always take a nicklaus out "because its the law" and usually bring it back in just as quick. im not to fussed by it all really specially when someone has saved the money for a nice set of clubs e.g. ping even if my boss does moan at me.