Where would you rank Mickelson’s major win at 50?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I can’t really get my head round this, not sure I can remember anything as dramatic since Nicklaus in ‘86?

In amongst the occasional brilliance genuinely thought he was done as a major contender and was good for a few gags (in a good way) but he’s just won around one of the best major set-ups for a long time. Amazing character.

TigerBear

Visit site
This is one of the best major wins of all time for me.

He was big outsider in the lead up, recent major performances were suggesting he was done, and throw in the record breaking and history made with his age! An incredible achievement from Phil!

However, Tiger's Masters return 2019 still the best ever ;)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The course was set up like an Open Championship, and in The Open, short and long, wild and accurate players can all compete. Harrington did well, and he hasn't had such a high finish in a major in about 10 years (although he has missed a few majors in that time). It was an encouraging major for the oldies amongst us, but I think we'll be back to the usual story soon. For me, it doesn't quite match the almost shock of Tom Watson at Turnberry. I think there will be a lot of money wasted now betting on Phil Mick for the US Open in his backyard at Torrey. That will be a different challenge., though.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Like the majority of people I had written him off and thought he would move on and have a bit of fun on the Champions Tour. His major chances were gone even though he would make appearances based on past wins.

It was a fantastic performance. A mix of steely nerve and excellent choice off the tee. He really deserved it. I am pleased that he won it.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Exceptional performance.On one of the hardest courses, he did what Butch Harmon has been asking him to do for years, apparently. "Calm down off the tee. It not all distance"
He was not the usual Phil spraying it about. You could see the slow walking, and concentration etc.
And at his age. Maybe forever , he is now the oldest to win a Major. With all the brilliant youngsters coming along, will this ever be changed?
And , in the middle of it, he gave a few moments to a disabled boy- gave him a ball, I think - A wonderful gesture . Class !

orangepip

Visit site
Completely agree, but now panicking that Butch now has an additional thing to go on (and on) about! :)
lol

On the distance thing he can clearly still rip it on occasion and out drove brooks on a couple of holes. The drive on the 18th was wild but to be expected given the amount of adrenalin that was no doubt coursing through his veins.

Really fantastic win and it had me pumped at midnight last night.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
lol

On the distance thing he can clearly still rip it on occasion and out drove brooks on a couple of holes. The drive on the 18th was wild but to be expected given the amount of adrenalin that was no doubt coursing through his veins.

Really fantastic win and it had me pumped at midnight last night.

The drive on 18 went exactly where he wanted it to go.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
It certainly ranks up there, he's certainly shown in flashes with individual rounds in tournaments that he can compete with the very best; I really didn't think he'd be able to do it over 4 days but as has been mentioned, he was slower, methodical and focused. Given the pace Koepka plays at, big Phil probably got in his head a bit. It doesn't surpass lots of others, including Tigers win at the Masters or even Rorys win in darkness leapfrogging Phil in 2014 or Stensons Open but as the OP says in the title, at 50, it's a great accomplishment.

The Fader

Visit site
A close 2nd to Tiger's 2019 win at the Masters in my personal rankings.

Tremendous performance at 50.

But I don't really get the whole "good old Phil" thing.

Yes, he signs for the spectators but his public castigation of Tom Watson at the Ryder Cup in 2014, hitting the moving ball, moaning about Paris National and allegedly less than perfect conduct in his financial dealings suggest to me that he isn't really the nice guy he tries to portray.

Wonderful golfer, none better around the greens but a less than stellar person for me.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
In terms of a performance, it was outstanding. A tough course in tough conditions which he managed exceedingly well. When he gets his head down he can really do it, as he did when he won The Masters. He never looked like he was going to falter.
There have been some great wins in different tournaments. I think Darren Clarke's Open win is another great one.
I would say it was one of the great ones, but the greatest is much harder to define.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite up there with mine:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I shot my lowest ever score at the age of 58.

Great last round in which he did not let the bad shot get to him on most occasions and glad to see him keeping up the concentration. One of the few golfers using a laser themself.

Hard to judge really as no one got that close to him after the first hole.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It will be a huge confidence boost for him that might see him through the next few years without any self-doubts that he has reached a fading away point as yet. Certainly, there will be more eyes on him this year and next. But brilliant - absolutely brilliant. Major at 51 or over? Well, he will be favourite to be that for a while.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tigers Masters win 2019 was far more spectacular. Phil is outside the top 100 (I'm sure it's dropped since Sunday) but he's not been written off like Tiger was.

Still good for Phil.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know where to place it, obviously winning at 50 hasn't been done before but then the world has changed with fitness and strength so he's not got a limitation of distance stopping him competing.

I think very high, but as others have said Woods comeback greater. Personally I'd probably rate it below some of the major wins where people have either torn up the field and won by 8 shots plus and those where the battle has been so close and of such a high standard like Stenson in the Open.

Very good yesterday but personally i'd rate a number of other major victories higher.

peld

Visit site
Fifty sounds awfully young to me, but good for Phil. Nice work, Lefty.

The PGA is supposed to be in August, though.

I have no idea what anybody's doing any more.
The new order and timing of the majors is far better. Allows the Open to be later when there should be better weather, and the earlier PGA allows more variety on where it is - Kiawah would have been far too hot in August for example

The Dog.

Visit site
Impressive and nice to see.

I think someone will eclipse this though and win a major in their 50’s. Logical for this to be the case as people are so much fitter through middle age now. I would not be surprised to see Mickleson win another green jacket or Open for example.