Where do you put the rake?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
RandA said:

If rakes are left in the middle of the bunker, the only way to position them is to throw them into the bunker and this causes damage to the surface. Also, if a rake is in the middle of a large bunker it is either not used or the player is obliged to rake a large area resulting in unnecessary delay.
Agree with that! If it's a largeish bunker you have to make loads more footprints just getting the rake and give yourself much more to do.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
A few years ago I was playing a course in Florida (sorry I don't remember which, it wasn't a famous one). There were no rakes in any bunkers, but every buggy had a rake. I never remembered to take it with me when visiting a bunker, and always had to return to get it! But I presume regulars would rapidly get used to it. Of course this solution only works at a course where everyone uses a buggy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Everyone forgotten the attachment rake we used during covid..?
Lips to your bag, slip it on the grip of your sand wedge, rake, detach, clip to bag....
No rakes in bunkers...
Boom.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Clearly, there is no clear winning answer that can be rationally backed up or have consensus. Just assorted guesses and opinions.

So just put it wherever you think yourself.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lips to your bag, slip it on the grip of your sand wedge, rake, detach, clip to bag....
No rakes in bunkers...
Boom.
We didn't use them, we had preferred lies - that was great.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No rakes in bunkers...
Boom.
I don't think that was common practise. All the courses I played on it was just free drop out of the bunker I think??

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Clearly, there is no clear winning answer that can be rationally backed up or have consensus. Just assorted guesses and opinions.

So just put it wherever you think yourself.

We leave ours on the grass at the side of the bunker, but at Hillside a few weeks back the kids were asked to leave them in the middle - I guess so they can't trap a ball near the edge which would be even more penalising given the fact that most of them are pot bunkers.

But the correct answer is to get rid of the rakes and make the bunkers a proper hazard. (y)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As said, there’s no one-size fits all answer. Way too many variables for that

What I would say is that on the main Tours we see on telly… rakes are never seen left in the bunker

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

What I would say is that on the main Tours we see on telly… rakes are never seen left in the bunker
Is that because they have a GK carrying a rake with each group?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My best mate has worked at a few tournaments where they have a greenkeeper with every group, and they do the raking, and so carry the rake with them.

The ones where the caddies do the raking....god know where they leave them.

Personally, I prefer leaving the rakes outside the bunkers, unless there is some device to help. My home course has little tent peg like stands that you pop the handle on and leave the head of the rake in the bunker itself. Not personally a fan, but that's what the committee have asked for

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
They should be left in the middle of the bunker, that way if the ball rests against you still have a fair lie, leaving it at the edge means that if the ball lies against it you can have an almost impossible lie, I cannot see why anyone would suggest otherwise however sadly they do

oleinone

Visit site
Our place has recently installed vertical metal tubes into which the rake can be slotted. It's remarkable how often the rake aligns with the chosen shot direction and I've already seen someone hit one!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
RandA said:

If rakes are left in the middle of the bunker, the only way to position them is to throw them into the bunker and this causes damage to the surface. Also, if a rake is in the middle of a large bunker it is either not used or the player is obliged to rake a large area resulting in unnecessary delay.
However at St Andrews, home of the R&A there was a sign in the starters hut that said rakes must be left in the middle of the bunker