Where can you spend comp winnings?

Where do you spend winnings

• Total voters

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Following on from the pro shop pricing thread, people were mentioning that they could spend winnings in bar or shop. I can only get winnings paid into shop account and was wondering what others do.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just won a comp last week, they've said I have a voucher waiting that can be used in the bar or pro shop.

The bit that confuses me though is on IG it shows as one total amount - my comp entries and my drinks from the bar both come off of that total. Somewhere deep within the system they are actually separate I guess, but it doesn't show me that. I realised that I've been entering comps and the entry fees comes off that total amount in my app, but when I tried to enter the twos it said I couldn't because I had minus £12 in my pro shop account - even though IG just shows I have plus £25. Bloody confusing and strange.

To that end I guess I'd better put my voucher on the pro shop to remedy it. ??‍♂️ Not sure how much I even won tbh, they didn't say.

Anyone else use IG and have this problem? Or can explain it?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on how they have set up the comp. We sometimes have money on our Pro shop account or it's vouchers for either M & S or a local store.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Virtually all club comps any winnings can be used in the bar or in the shop (used to be only in the shop up until three years or so ago.....some folks had a few hundred on their account but couldn't spend it because our pro-shop is not exactly stocked with a huge range of gear).

Occasionally there are special comps where the organiser might buy vouchers that can be used in other (often non-golf specific) retail outlets....especially where the individual prize values might be relatively substantial.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would expect it’s because it’s two separate accounts within IG

We have a £50 on our card at the beginning of each year - but that can only be used behind the bar

The enter comps , 2’s etc we need to add money onto the account
I mean yeah, it is but I can't see them separately. On my app it just says 'clubhouse balance' which is both added together, and it shows all the transactions coming off of it - pro shop and bar. I have no way of knowing what I have in each balance separately. (Until I get an error message when entering a comp!)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just won a comp last week, they've said I have a voucher waiting that can be used in the bar or pro shop.

The bit that confuses me though is on IG it shows as one total amount - my comp entries and my drinks from the bar both come off of that total. Somewhere deep within the system they are actually separate I guess, but it doesn't show me that. I realised that I've been entering comps and the entry fees comes off that total amount in my app, but when I tried to enter the twos it said I couldn't because I had minus £12 in my pro shop account - even though IG just shows I have plus £25. Bloody confusing and strange.

To that end I guess I'd better put my voucher on the pro shop to remedy it. ??‍♂️ Not sure how much I even won tbh, they didn't say.

Anyone else use IG and have this problem? Or can explain it?

We use IG and we cannot enter comps or pay for 2s entry if there is insufficient money on our accounts (gets annoying when I am booking in 3 other players and I find one of then does not have enough on their account). However we use a separate system for Pro shop accounts and have to have the proshop app to see funds in that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use IG and we cannot enter comps or pay for 2s entry if there is insufficient money on our accounts (gets annoying when I am booking in 3 other players and I find one of then does not have enough on their account). However we use a separate system for Pro shop accounts and have to have the proshop app to see funds in that.
It's odd, I can enter comps in the app but I can't enter the twos, I get the error message. But I can still enter the twos on the terminal in the shop. ??‍♂️ I'm going to have to speak to them on Saturday and ask them to sort it out.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rarely see cash/monetary value used as a prize, so its neither for me

(prizes are normally physical items or specific vouchers i.e green fee, hotel stay etc)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Virtually all club comps any winnings can be used in the bar or in the shop (used to be only in the shop up until three years or so ago.....some folks had a few hundred on their account but couldn't spend it because our pro-shop is not exactly stocked with a huge range of gear)./QUOTE]

Does your shop not order stuff in for you if you ask? I know ours does and will price match the internet

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rarely see cash/monetary value used as a prize, so its neither for me

(prizes are normally physical items or specific vouchers i.e green fee, hotel stay etc)

You should not see cash unless it is a scratch comp, it is against the rules of being an Amateur golfer

Rules
RULE
Prizes3

3a Scratch Competitions
An amateur playing in a scratch competition is allowed to accept any
prize, including prize money, up to a limit of £700 or US$1000 in value, per
competition, unless the national governing body has set a lower limit.
For the purposes of these Rules, a scratch competition is a competition that
does not have a net score element in any part of the competition and handicaps
must not be used to separate players into different scratch categories. Any
competition that is not a scratch competition is a handicap competition.
3b Handicap Competitions
An amateur playing in a handicap competition is not allowed to accept prize
money, but may accept any other prize up to a limit of £700 or US$1000 in
value, per competition, unless the national governing body has set a lower
limit

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You should not see cash unless it is a scratch comp, it is against the rules of being an Amateur golfer

Rules
RULE
Prizes3

3a Scratch Competitions
An amateur playing in a scratch competition is allowed to accept any
prize, including prize money, up to a limit of £700 or US$1000 in value, per
competition, unless the national governing body has set a lower limit.
For the purposes of these Rules, a scratch competition is a competition that
does not have a net score element in any part of the competition and handicaps
must not be used to separate players into different scratch categories. Any
competition that is not a scratch competition is a handicap competition.
3b Handicap Competitions
An amateur playing in a handicap competition is not allowed to accept prize
money, but may accept any other prize up to a limit of £700 or US$1000 in
value, per competition, unless the national governing body has set a lower
limit

Thanks (I wasn't really meaning envelopes with fivers in it though) :sneaky:

So what is it everyone is talking about "spending" :unsure:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Does your shop not order stuff in for you if you ask? I know ours does and will price match the internet

They will do if its a regular mainstream brand item but if you wanted something from say a niche manufacturer then you would struggle. Ladies clothing was always a big issue because obviously folk like to try stuff on, also sometimes they wouldn't want to order a single item...often the shop would wait for a number of folks to place an order before ordering from the supplier.

In truth our shop is not really a "pro-shop"....it is rather just the club shop where you book tee times, pay your green fees or comp entry fees, buy sundries like drinks, snacks, tees, towels, balls, gloves etc. We have a small number of bags in stock and then a moderate range of polos, shorts, trousers etc....but that's about it in terms of gear. There were calls to allow folks to spend their comp winnings in the bar long before it ever happened.

Our pro is merely affiliated to the club for teaching purposes and not "resident".

IanMcC

Visit site
At our club it is either in the proshop (about 98% of people) or on your annual subscription. (about 2% of people).

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Pro Shop credit only.
Quite happy with that.
The more that gets spent in there, the better and more up-to-date the stock can be, the better the service to the members that is.
Keeps the pro happy too.
Meanwhile, I've got an £80 voucher to spend at my next-door neighbour's club's pro shop from when we came third in a seniors open better-ball.
New shoes for next winter, maybe.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Pro Shop only...absolutely no issues with that whatsoever as it helps keep the shop viable and well-stocked, and goes towards supporting our complement of Pro plus Assistant Pros.